main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 318 "The Citadel"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 24, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode - 318 "The Citadel"

Poll closed Feb 24, 2011.
  1. 10

29.7%
  2. 9

28.1%
  3. 8

21.9%
  4. 7

12.5%
  5. 6

3.1%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1.6%
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    On a scale from 1 to 10, what score do you give this episode?

Please note this is NOT the episode discussion thread, so please limit the discussion to the grades and overall evaluation of the episode.

Grade average (65 votes): 8.44

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    9/10

Only didn't gave it a 10 because unnecessary Ahsoka was there.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    10- this is TCW i want to watch:) and Ahsoka was actually nice when she was disobeying Ani- brought some continuity to her training- only major con was Osi Sobeck's voice and stereotypical character- but even that was ok after all.... and Tarkin in TCW- wow sooner than i expected....

4. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Gave it a 9. Some minor hiccups, and I think the Ahsoka subplot might have gone down better with a more standard battlefield rather than the Citadel, but it's a great old Star Wars adventure.

5. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I gave it a 7. Not a terrible episode at all and I would watch it again. The number could go up over time actually.

6. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Gave it a 7. It was a nice episode. I was tempted to give it an 8, but that would equal my rating for 'Nightsisters', which I thought was better. I liked it, but I wasn't thrilled watching it. But perhaps I'm suffering from post-Mortis syndrome.

For me, Ahsoka disobeying Anakin and coming along was actually the biggest plus for this episode.

Carbon-freezer in the temple seems contrived.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I gave it a 9/10 which is probably one too high, but I thought it was well done and a nice return to sanity. ;)

I was thinking of docking it 2-3 points for having the identical plot from Shipyards of Doom, but no one else really seems to have a problem with that so I must be overreacting.

8. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I was going to mark this episode down for something, but I can't find any reason to now. Ahsoka brings a wildcard factor to a fairly typical action episode...which would otherwise be that much more predictable had she not been in it.
    10/10

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    And again someone gives 1:eek:

10. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Downgraded to 9 because I wasn't a fan of the carbon-freezing. Overall a fantastic episode that had many scenes which to me could have worked great as scenes in a film. With the wind blowing and Obi-Wan dangling from the balcony and the great camera angles I almost felt like I was watching live-action. We finally get to officially meet and hear a new Jedi Master who we see in all the prequels, which is awesome. I don't get the theory that Ahsoka was "unnecessary" to this episode at all. Without her we wouldn't have had another superb example of Anakin's inability to risk or let go his attachments, and the great Anakin/Ahsoka/Obi-Wan dialogue dynamic that honestly makes me reminisce about Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

And the voice-acting for Tarkin was so great I'm almost tempted to bump it up to ten just for that.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    8/10

Minus one point for Ahsoka and another for unnecessarily rendering Shipyards of Doom non-canon.

12. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah, because who wants to see the emotional problems that led Anakin to become Darth Vader? [face_laugh]

13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    After a few minutes of weighing the good with the bad, I gave it a 9. It was good fun, even if Ahsoka's attitide drove me crazy and Tarkin didn't sit right with me. In retrospect, I probably had more fun watching this episode than any other in Season 3 so I just couldn't give it a 7 like I originally did.

14. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    8/10

Never read Shipyards, so it doesn't bother me, but Ahsoka getting off scott free for insubordination grinds me the wrong way.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Really, this episode was entertaining and enjoyable but not much else. It leaves very little impression on me. The Walken warden I found distracting and the carbon-freezing chamber in the Temple seemed out-of-place. OTOH, the magnetisation idea was well executed and Tarkin was a nice inclusion. The best episodes, for me, hint at larger themes in the saga--this didn't achieve that.

I'll give it a 6/10.

16. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    8/10, solid episode.

17. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003

Probably my favorite episode of the season so far. Hope the other two parts live up to this one.

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Tarkus - yeah, I was blown away by Kenobi's hair, forgot to mention that in the episode thread.

On the Ahsoka issue - yeah, I'm guilty of it too, but at this point, clearly she is part of the team of Our Heroes, for better or for worse.

Don't really know if they had time to properly discipline her, but I *would* like Anakin talking to her about it at the end of the arc, maybe.

I mean, one of my main arguments against the character of Ahsoka from way back in the TCW film is that she was Anakin 2.0, and Anakin should have mostly been a result of (a) being too old to be trained, and (b) being super-talented. She's been insubordinate from the very beginning, so it shouldn't be surprising at this point.

They spent time in 2 episodes dealing with her attitude and she may or may not have changed; however, they rightly point out in this episode and even outright state that Anakin is saying "do as I say, not as I do". [face_laugh]

So what I liked about this episode is that, regardless of whether you like Ahsoka or not, or whether you think she needs to be in TCW or not, this episode dealt with her, Anakin, and Obi-Wan in a very consistent way.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Solid episode once it got rolling. 7

20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    9 because in my eyes there's very little to criticise this episode for. Regardless of people's personal feelings about Ahsoka, if she did lie or whatever then it really only shows that she picks up her master's traits. I have bigger doubts that Anakin would really be an ideal teacher during the Clone Wars anyway at the ripe young age of 21/22, especially given his track record. So therefore if Ahsoka is 16 by the time this episode rolls around, there's only a 5/6 year gap between them. I prefer to think of them as more on an equal footing, particularly since Anakin has only recently become a Knight himself. So I would wager they would be questioning each other a lot more than what we see. I will admit though that Anakin needed to flip a bit more when he did the "waitaminute" look.

I can see the Carbon Freezing argument, but maybe they had it brought in specially for this mission? I don't know, I just don't find it annoying. Maybe because I just allowed myself to sit back and appreciate the show without bothering to think about it; after Mortis it's nice to switch off for an episode.

Now onto some briefer points:

- They really nailed Tarkin's voice and personality.
    - Cool action scenes. The Commando droids nearly getting the better of our heroes was good, reinforces the idea that they're a genuine threat.
    - Loved how Anakin got pulled up by the magnet along with all the lightsabers and blasters.
    - Echo and Fives, yay! Though I'm still surprised by how quickly they went from Shinies to ARC Troopers after 1 mission and a lot of sitting around in an outpost station.
    - Even Piell was epic.
    - The reprogrammed battle droids were funny.
    - The end did feel a bit awkward, like they cut it off a bit early. But I guess that means that watched together it will flow better. Seems like they made this as a 1 hour long episode then cut it up.

21. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    People can come up with explanations and rationalizations, but the bottom line is Ahsoka is annoying and makes the show less enjoyable.

Of course this is my opinion, but I know many others share it.

22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Don't like it don't watch it. No point in continuing to do something that frustrates you.

23. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't remember saying "I don't like TCW" or "watching TCW frustrates me".

Thanks for the advice, keep it to yourself next time.

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Alright fair enough. I guess I've only seen the negative side of you come across. Feel free to point me towards a positive post you made.

25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    By using words like "rationalizations", the implication is that your "opinion" is really a universal truth that some are choosing to ignore. You can't make such statements and then fairly expect to not get a strong response.