main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode 4.06: "Flight of the Defender" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 31, 2017.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 7, 2017.
  1. 10

5.6%
  2. 9

38.9%
  3. 8

27.8%
  4. 7

16.7%
  5. 6

8.3%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.8%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Have you watched "Flight of the Defender" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.​
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!​
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    9/10.

This was a good setup episode for the mystic/force side of the season. It got me interested into what's to come.
    The stormtrooper chasing cats was a bit off-putting, i'm just going to assume those two are Taggs and Bink. The backgrounds during the dogfight was a bit distracting because it didnt seem touched up.

3. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
  4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I liked it. I'm enjoying Ezra & Sabine's interactions and makes me wonder if it means more down the road in Canon. I thought the Loth Wolf was really cool too! And Kanan's line at the end....I think we have some really cool things ahead of us!

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    9/10

I almost gave this an 8, but that sequence of the Defender in action was just breathtaking. Really shows how far the animation has come since the show began. Also really liked the introduction of the white Loth Wolf, ties back into the significance of the Force on Lothal.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    8/10. Good episode. Interesting mystery involving the Loth animals. I'm sure it'll be revealed eventually.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    9/10, really liked this one. Action, humour, soundtrack, general animation improvements, pacing of the story, characters, dialogue, the Force mysticism they added... all really good in my opinion.

8. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    9/10 I was sure it's gonna be 8 but then the wolf said that last word :)

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    8/10

+ The animal lover in me is pleased. Loth-cats and the Loth-wolf are adorable.
    + The beginning of the "weird stuff" Filoni mentioned. I'm really excited for what's going to happen next. I no longer think the wolf is Ahsoka but I still think she's somehow connected to it in someway. Mythology and the mystical is really my personal favorite part of SW so bring it on. Definitively some Princess Mononoke influences here.
    + "Fascinating". Thrawn has humor. What about him just standing there while shooting at the fleeing Tie Defender.
    + Another part of the episode I liked was Ezra flying the Tie Defender and Thrawn mentioning his "modest" flying skills and that the pilots wouldn't have lasted this long if Hera was the one flying. Hera, one of the best pilots in the galaxy.
    + "Sleep." "Dume.". [face_thinking] Being the wolf is some kind of Bendu for Lothal? No one has seen a Loth-wolf in a hundred years and everyone (even Sabine) but Kanan believes him that he saw one. Judging by next week's preview I guess they'll change their mind soon.
    + "All paths are coming together." Yeah, there's definitively a sense of finality in this season. Then the episode ends with the wolf smiling.[face_thinking]
    + Hera being worried for Ezra and Sabine like any parent would be.
    + The animation team really did a great job this season so far. Compared to season 1, it's like night and day and I like how it evolved so hats off to them.
    -/+ Still an heavy focus on Ezra/Sabine and still no AP-5. :(
    -/+ So they stole the flight data recorder and the hyperdrive, probably for the U-Wing. It also has a kill switch kinda like Cylo had one for Vader's armor in the comics.

10. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    9/10
    Always excellent to see the TIE Defender in action
    Lothcats adorable without being annoying
    Lothwolf intriguing and hinting at a more to come.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This is a 10 for me

12. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    7/10

+ "Hey." "Fascinating."
    + Loth cats and Loth Wolf.
    + Nice seeing the upgraded Defender in action.
    + Ezra and Sabine when they infiltrated the air base.

- Didn't like the "dumb" Storm Troopers much.
    - I'm not really into the Force/Jedi "mysticism" but I'm looking forward to see where they're going to take this.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Yeah that was another thing that really got to me. Two heavily armed Storm Troopers being distracted enough to follow a cat way off the base. Couldn't Ezra just use the Force to create some kind of distraction for the troopers to leave the premises?

JH24 likes this.
  14. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017

I agree. I don't mind a bit of humor, but it makes the Empire look incompetent again. I wouldn't have mind as much if we weren't this far into the series. There was probably some kind of joke or reference in that scene.

A part of me actually wanted one of the Stormtroopers to try and pet the Lothcat. Just to show they're still human under that mask.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Yeah I was expecting them to have some kind of humane interaction with it too.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    9/10. Fantastic episode, and I loved the Loth-wolf.

17. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    One of the coolest episodes of the series (literally, in one respect), and my favorite of the season so far. I love the visuals, sound and music, action, banter, mysticism, etc. The whole thing is framed by the wildlife -- from the whimsical opening to the somewhat haunting end -- rather like the Imperial airfield being "in the middle of nowhere."

Other things:
    + The loth-cat distraction reminds me of the Ewok speeder theft in ROTJ.
    + That braking maneuver
    + Thrawn making use of the circumstances
    + The fade to white, not only as the first use since Twilight of the Apprentice (I think), but as a small reminder of my favorite Game of Thrones episode

10/10

18. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Nice to finally see the Loth Wolf (and loving the Loth Cats in this episode). I'm really starting to feel like Ezra's fate is tied to Lothal. It will be interesting to see how they handle the liberation of Lothal (assuming they even do succeed) since a Rogue One is meant to be the first major Rebel victory. I guess they could say it's the Ghost crew and local uprising rather than THE rebellion but that still feels like it's a thin line.

The series really feels like it's picked up this week. I love having the crew back on Lothal, didn't realise I'd missed it!

19. ChieRynn

ChieRynn Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 17, 2017
    8/10. Those Loth cats were adorable and the Loth wolf was amazing. One thing that bugged me was that the dudes in the control tower didn't see Sabine get into the TIE. From how I saw it was that the guys in the tower overlooking the landing pad there would have been able to see her. Meh.

20. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    7/10

+Stormtroopers chasing Loth-cats
    +Adorable Loth-cats
    +Loth-cats liking Ezra
    +Loth-wolf
    -Thrawn, especially his “Fascinating” line
    -“I’m glad someone likes you, Ezra, but let’s focus on the mission.”
    -The Empire taking all day to show up at the crash site

ChieRynn likes this.
  21. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Great episode and a very good continuation from the previous one. Liked the plot about the ghost crew attempting to steal the new TIE Defender prototype and it had some good action (mainly the TIE fighter chase where the Defender comes to good use) and even humor (the rather big involvement of the Loth-cats distracting the stormtroopers was fun; the two troopers actually starting to chase them for kilometers was both stupid and funny). Thrawns small role here was nicely implemented and I really liked everything about the mysterious and sentient Loth-wolf showing up and helping Ezra and Sabine espace the Imperial search party (my favorite part of the episode); I'm sure we will learn more about this creature which does seem to have a connection with the Force.

All in all, the episode was slightly better than the earlier one (much because of the Loth-wolf element which really elevated it for me) and it was as exiciting as it was intriguing. A very solid entry in the series.

8/10