main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode: 407: Darkness On Umbara

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Nov 1, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode: 407: Darkness On Umbara

Poll closed Jan 30, 2012.
  1. 10

48.0%
  2. 9

30.0%
  3. 8

14.0%
  4. 7

4.0%
  5. 6

2.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.0%
  1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    9/10

IMO, best written episode since Voyage of Temptation.

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Actually, I think I might be inclined to agree with you on that one. There haven't really been many contenders in that gap.

3. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    What did GG vote?

Did he even vote?

I'm curious.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Really have to wonder once again, why not debut S4 with this gem?:confused:

5. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Probably because they thought underwater action = elite. Oh and they had Ackbar! What could possibly go wrong with that? [face_laugh]

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    How much more disappointing would the other episodes have been if we saw this first? I think therein lies your answer.

Not many TCW episodes are on par with Voyage of Temptation, and I agree this is one of them.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    You're approaching that question with the assumption that they are in some way competent.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, the problem was not the action or Ackbar. In my opinion that arc didn't need three episodes, and the story wasn't that great.

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    They simply thought the "Mon Calamari arc" was going to be more popular than it was. No big deal really. Its kinda like how Trey Parker thinks the "Imagination Land" trilogy are the greatest episodes of South Park ever. Not ever close. We should redo these polls once the whole season airs.

10. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Oh, I totally agree. I couldn't care less about that silly story.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I liked some aspects of the story, but it was dragged out to the extreme. It definitely could have been done in two episodes, and they should have picked a better set of main characters or at least introduced them in a way that made a BIT of sense. (Anakin and Padme without Ahsoka...then Ahsoka comes in with Master Fisto? Huh? Does "Padawan" mean anything anymore?)

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I guess Tikkes would've saved Dac-arc for me- it would've been mediocre and okay rather than disappointing and boring:p like Gunray saved Bombad Jedi..... but after this Umbaran stuff they could hardly show us Mercy Mission and make so many like it:p After Shadow Warrior it felt pretty awesome[face_laugh]

13. sacharias

sacharias Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2011
    10/10. It's not perfect, but this is as close to perfection as TCW ever gets, IMO.

Actually, given Ahsoka's maturation since S3, I'd love to see her "interact" with Krell. She's not going to whine anymore like she did in LaPR, but I'm certain she'd give Master Krell a good talking to over his strategy. :p Especially his affinity for remaining under cover while his men make the assault. Even if Ahsoka (or Skywalker) had ordered the charge, she'd be in the lead and taking the fire.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I'd like to think they wouldn't do that since they've been having her mature somewhat lately.

15. sacharias

sacharias Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2011
    Wouldn't do what, exactly? I think Ahsoka would be mortified if Krell had told her to stay behind with him while Rex's men took the fire. She might not be quite as reckless as she was in the past, but she's not going to be a bystander.

I actually think it would be a very interesting development - Ahsoka would almost certainly disobey Krell's order to stay behind, emboldening the clones who are already making their dissent known. The only trouble (this is so ironic) is that her presence - or that of any accomplished Jedi - would have drastically simplified the actual fighting - 'soka would have just sliced open each Umbaran vehicle and let the clones 'board' it.

But it would also take the spotlight off the clones. It's a bigger deal if, on his own, a clone decides to take initiative and disobey protocol. If another Jedi superior is bouncing around orders as well, then it's not really a big question - follow Ahsoka.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I give it a solid 8.

17. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    9/10.

And the episode has an average score of 9.04, it´s the highest rated episode yet in this polls? [face_thinking]

18. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    As far as mean averages, it's the 2nd, only behind Rookies with 9.35
    As far as median averages, it's tied in 4th place with other 16 episodes.
    As far as absolute average, it's the 4th, behind Rookies, Landing and Overlords.

Not bad at all. It's also worth noting that this episode marks the widest grade disparity between consecutive episodes. A four points increase from the previous one, Nomad Droids. The previous record holder was the 3.77 point drop from The Hidden Enemy to Blue Shadow Virus.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Tell off General Krell as antagonistically as possible.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    10/10

I found this episode very enjoyable. The harsh and stubborn Krell was probably at his best in this episode, treating the clones like one might equipment. I like how Krell was introduced and liked his take on the situation. Mostly I liked that he wasn't buddy buddy with the clones. He clearly didn't repsect them at all as individuals - something which has been a running thread throughout the EU for years here and there. I'm pleased to see it in this episode.