main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 408 "The General"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Nov 8, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode - 408 "The General"

Poll closed Nov 8, 2011.
  1. 10

48.7%
  2. 9

20.5%
  3. 8

15.4%
  4. 7

7.7%
  5. 6

2.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

2.6%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.6%
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's The General Poll!

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate The General?*

Remember, this is NOT The General Discussion Thread, so please limit the general discussion to the grades and general overall evaluation of the The General. Generally speaking.

*The episode, not the Besalisk.

Grade average (40 votes): 8.8

2. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    The Besalisk I would give a 1/10.

The episde on the other hand...8/10. Enjoyed it, though not as much as the last one. Seeing Appo was nice. :D

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    4. It's nothing but base entertainment to me. Writing-wise, it's just shocking.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Gave it an 8/10 that is probably a little high. We'll see how the quadrology turns out.

Probably should have docked it more for insufficient character development for Krell, clones acting WAY too individualistic and whiny, and "Sergeant Appo", but it was the best-looking episode ever and so exciting it still rates 8/10.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I give this episode a 7 out of 10.

6. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    11/10.
    The first episode to show the brutality of the Clone Wars at its most vicious.

7. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Stubborn, one-dimensional Besalisk aside this was one of the best episodes we've gotten so far, if not the greatest. The perfect mix of characterization and action, and a surprisingly awsome balance between lightheartedness and total grittiness. In short: 99.9% perfect. That's about as good as anything can be so this gets a 10/10 from me.

8. sacharias

sacharias Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2011
    10/10. Still not perfect, but I don't expect that of TCW, and I really can't see them doing any better than this.

Excellent development and contrast of a number of clone characters, vivid and brutal action.

9. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    9/10

Great episode, only dogged -1 by Krell's character in the episode. Breathtaking visuals, good dialogue (a rarity), and the grittiness of the war was great. Not as good as its predecessor, however.

10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    9/10. I liked this one more than Darkness on Umbara. This one felt a bit more consistent than the last one.

Darkness on Umbara spends too much time with Anakin and brings Krell into the picture too late, making it almost feel like two halves of different episodes sewn together. This one, while lacking in character development for Krell, tells a more cohesive story with a beginning middle and end that feel natural.

That said, Krell's lack of characterization is frustrating, and he seems to be the deciding factor in quality for the arc. The visuals were downright incredible for a television series, and this is easily the best ground combat we've seen since Landing at Point Rain. Like LAPR, it also had a few establishing character moments, especially for Fives and Hardcase during their solo mission.

Overall, I found this one very enjoyable. Characterization dearth and frustrating continuity errors deriving from a lack of research knock it down.

11. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Hard to grade this without having seen the rest of the arc.

Gave it a 9.

Excitement-wise, this episode was almost off the charts. I'm docking a single point for the clones being way too hesitant for guys who have been genetically altered to 'take any order without question'. Had it just been Rex and Fives, okay. But this was more like massive insubordination.

I didn't mind Krell hanging back and not being the focus of this episode. It does make sense and we still have two episodes to go.

Pretty confusing, this poll. :p

An Ion Cannon Super Weapon that takes out an entire republic fleet with a single blast. Droids humming merry tunes while operating sinister devices designed to crack open life-pods, sending clone troopers to a cold death in outer space.

"I HAVE A REPUTATION TO UPHOLD!"

Yeah, I think that was S01E02. ;) :p

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I can't decide between 6 and 7. This episode barely developed the story and added nothing in the way of intrigue to the plot. I don't mind a clone centered episode but this felt like it had so much less to it than DoU did, and it didn't do anything substantive that DoU hadn't already done (i.e. clones not following Krell's orders, Krell not empathizing with the clones). The stuff in the Umbaran vessels was fun but the first-person shots in DoU were better.

13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    10. Let me say this episode literally sounds awesome. Another awesome episode of clone action, excellent character development for the clones, and beautiful animation. My biggest problem with this episode is how the clones randomly withdrew from the battle at the beginning. Not enough to bring the episode down. Its awesome to give this high grade to two episodes in a row.

14. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    10 for me, this was simply a great episode. It doesn't bother me that the story was thin. Clone Wars stories are usually thin, and when they're not, they tend to suck. No, this one had great characters, wonderful direction, exciting action, gorgeous visuals... Krell still has two episodes to be explored, there's no rush.

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    9- crawler tanks didn't get enough time

16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    10/10. This episode was better than Darkness on Umbara because it was both character development and non-stop action, whereas Darkness on Umbara was more of an introduction to the arc. We see actual tactics in the battle rather than just two sides shooting blaster bolts at each other, which I felt was the case in Darkness on Umbara, though it's still a good episode.

17. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    COOME ON GUYS, let's vote on this poll! The previous episode had an amazing 50 votes, this is barely past half that.

18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I think that was partly due to the fact that last week's episode was the beginning to the arc everybody put their hopes and dreams on. Looking back over the other Season 4 polls, the only other episode to hit the 50 mark was Shadow Warrior, which was almost unanimously slated. The rest all ended up with around 30 to low 40s votes.

And most of the regulars have already given their votes by now anyway, the others got their numbers up later on by people dropping in. This is nothing out of the ordinary for Season 4 so far.

19. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but I'm really surprised that this episode got THAT many 10's! That is a ton of 10's.

I'm glad I waited to vote because I wound up feeling that this episode is a solid 7.

It's a letdown plot-development-wise, but after seeing Plan of Dissent, I saw that this episode has a more justifiable role in this arc than I previously felt.

This episode, like this whole arc and really a lot of S4 so far, has way above-par music for TCW.

Also, I think this episode stepped it up with war realism, not that I would really know the difference (I have a lot of respect for soldiers in real life, and I'm not one of them). There seemed to be more clone injuries and screaming in pain and being dragged from the battlefield with awesome camera angles than we've seen before.

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    10/10

I thought pretty much everything worked in this episode. Krell is a horrible commander, or is he just set in his ways? The way the action was so incredibly dark and gritty really worked. I was esspecially struck by the way the clones exucuted the defeated Umbarans instead of taking prisoners, it really showed us something intriguing.

The Umbarans are not droids but the clones basically treat them the same as they do the clones. Very interesting stuff.