main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Theatrical Film - "The Clone Wars" - Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Apr 11, 2011.

?

Grade the Theatrical Film - "The Clone Wars"

1. 10

4.9%
  2. 9

2.4%
  3. 8

22.0%
  4. 7

19.5%
  5. 6

22.0%
  6. 5

11.0%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

6.1%
  9. 2

3.7%
  10. 1

4.9%
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    We've decided to kick off our Rewatching The Clone Wars series with the theatrical film, The Clone Wars.

Rather than divide it into the individual episodes, we decided to have everyone grade it as a whole, because that is what was given to us.

Unlike our Season 3 threads where we have both an episode discussion thread AND a poll thread, the poll thread can be used for discussion of the film and the episodes.

Did you notice anything different this time around? Do you like it more? Less?

Grade average (48 votes): 6.25

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I gave it 7/10 after watching it last night.

I noticed that we had BY FAR the highest number of hooded Jedi/Sith in the film:

Dooku
    Ventress
    Obi-Wan
    Anakin
    Ahsoka

The Anakin/Ahsoka relationship did seem a little over the top, in terms of almost always been cheeky, and Ahsoka does seem extremely overpowered considering she was a youngling and studied at the Temple. However, Anakin does say "A Padawan is only going to slow me down", and I wish they had addressed something about how Ahsoka was an exceptional student and they would only give him a challenge.

Jabba's son I guess wasn't a bad plot, but (a) the whole "stinky" thing got old real quick, (b) God, I forgot Ahsoka called R2 "Artooie":rolleyes: , and (c) Dooku really didn't seem very subtle when trying to convince Jabba that the Jedi were to blame here. Really felt Jabba came across as naive and/or gullible in the film.

The animation looks pretty ridiculous, especially after watching the Trandoshan Duology recently. :p But the lightsaber battles looked relatively smooth and I liked a lot of the different "camera" angles they used with the clones.

3. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Oh noes! I still need to watch it! :eek:

I like to rate/comment early! :_|

BBL :p

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    7/10

It had a great start, until Ahsoka arrived. Loved Christophsis, which had a great design overall and the opening battle was the highlight of the movie (and still is among my favourite moments from the series).

Also liked Jabba, his palace and the whole vibe it gave (things I never liked since RotJ), and the tribal(?) music on those scenes were spot on.

Anakin was a likeable character, something I also never felt from the live action movies. Ventress was also great, although I didn't like (and still don't) when she removes or walks around without her skirt (it seems part of her character is gone).

As for the "wooden" design, I thought it was a great choice. Dooku's design still is my favourite, and makes the movie and series unique.

On the downside, the whole plot of Jabba's son was not very interesting, and Ahsoka as a character was not that likeable to begin with. The droid humour was excessive, which didn't help at all, and some animation "errors" were somewhat distracting.

5. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    10/10 for the Battle of Christophsis alone.

The series has yet to have such an epic battle.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    An incredibly bold claim to make. Does Geonosis arc not count?

7. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    The Geonosis battle was good, but it's not Christophsis.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Christophsis battle is great and complete movie is nice it weakens bit towards the end but still stays as nice Star Wars and i give 8 to the movie now- more than i would've given before but when movie came out i was pretty iffy about this whole "animated SW" idea but it works rather well and now when i'm used to it it's nice movie to watch- not like 6 "real movies" but still solid stuff:p

9. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    I also loved the Battle of Teth, especially when the SBD shoots the clone at point blank range, something they have yet to show in the series, or similar to it.

10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, the clone tries to punch the SBD and gets brutally killed.

The battle of Christophsis had some excellent "camera" work, and it was nice to see how easily Anakin was able to handle the spider droids.

11. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I gave it a 9. I took off a point mainly because of Ahsoka. Man, I forgot how annoying she used to be!

Other than that, it was a pretty solid movie. The music was absolutely excellent, the animation was pretty good for the team's firat endeavour, and the story wasn't half bad.

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I normally don't vote in these polls, but since this is a community acitivty we're doing for the summer, I will help out.

Before I get to my review, I think a lot of you guys are being too generous. :p

For one, I did go back and watch this film over the weekend, and that was my 4th time I watched it from start to finish. I am going to say what I think, and this film is just awful. Plain and simple. I can't sit down and enjoy the film for what it is and what it's trying to show.

Comparing this film, which is four episodes shoved together to make a theatrical film, to, let's say, Nightsisters, the series has definitely improved a lot. I never gotten the chance to see this film in theaters back in 08, and after reading negative reviews about it, I just didn't care for it. I got the chance to watch the film for the first time after watching Hostage Crisis on Cartoon Network back in March 09 (I watched the film via DVD, not CN). Not going to lie, my thoughts of the film still are the same. Christophsis was a highlight of the film, right up until Ahsoka was introduced.

Some of the things that I still struggle with is the:
    *Awful dialogue, i.e, cringeworthy banter between charterers, most notably Anakin and Ahsoka, Ahsoka's nicknaming of things
    *Wooden/stilted animation
    *100 minutes of action, not much of a story to be told
    *Granted simple straight forward storytelling, but the rescue thing has been done to death in Star Wars.
    *Ahsoka

As for Ahsoka, I can't watch certain scenes with miss overpowered, annoying bratty Ahsoka. I think it just tortures the mind by seeing her or hearing her speak rather than seeing her as a helpful character who has a purpose. I'm not going to go into the whole discussion of her being powerful for her age, but I think that was the biggest mistake they could have done to Ahsoka, besides making her a little brat.

Overall I have to give it a 2/10. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't see this film in theaters, and instead watched season one first before getting to it. I don't know if I would've watched the series if I saw this film first. I would've be embarrassed to call myself a Star Wars fan to be honest.

13. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    4/10. Retrospective viewings do not do this film any favors. This is the main problem when creating an all CGI film or cartoon. It is very easy to date an episode based on its animation quality. And this animation was just bad. As a pilot? Eh, it would be okay, but it was turned into a movie, so it will be judged as a movie.

You don't put this kind of stuff in theaters expecting it to come with thunderous applause. Animated films recognize that the adults who need to take the kids there should get something out of the experience as well. Compared to even Ambush, this does not deliver. Stupid lines, terrible animation, a boring plot, and an offensive Hutt ruin the experience. Even Ziro is embarrassing in this film, and he became hilarious later.

Just bad bad bad.

14. ShakTeeth

ShakTeeth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    I'm giving it a 6. Like others have said, the film was going strong during the Battle Of Christopsis, right until Ashoka arrives. We still get a few gems afterwards, but most of the film is bogged down by Anakin and Ashoka's banter.

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I believe I settled on a 7. Watching it back, I can see where the criticisms above come from. But I don't know, I just had a big grin on my face all the way through to Coruscant.:D

I enjoyed the early banter, Rex sniggering was funny, I enjoyed the beginning snarky stuff. So bad it's good? Maybe. It did wear a tad towards the middle though. And Obi Wan got increasingly sarcastic as the film progressed.:rolleyes:

Rex kinda saved it for me, man oh man was he beastin' it in this one. Not only did he make the character shield cool, but he had the epic one-liners that were better than whole sections of Skyguy/Snips banter. "Lemme show you how it works Clanker *slaps droid in face*", "We've got you outnumbered!""Outnumbered? Wait, one, two, thre-gah!" were highlights.:cool:

The only bit that truly made me burst out laughing was the poor droid that got pushed off the cliff by Ventress.
    "Count Dooku demands a report on your mission. Shall I tell him they got away, or what?"
    *Ventress evils droid, then throws him off cliff*
    "WHYYYYYyyyyy..."
    [face_laugh]

By the time it got to the ending though, it was wearing a lot. Most the interesting stuff ended on Teth, was kinda boring to sit through.

Oh and one other thing, I want some backstory for this guy:
    [image=http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k546/ImNotAStarWarsFanboy/Mysteriousbackgroundcharacter.jpg]
    He literally popped up everywhere! Lol [face_laugh]

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I doubt I'll be participating this summer.

I have TCW movie on DVD, but it's been a while since I've watched it.

Despite annoying Ahsoka, it would get a good score from me, I enjoyed it.

Over time, the more I think about TCW the more I realize I don't really like it for the story or the characters, I just enjoy the action and sound effects/music. Animation/CGI doesn't really matter to me, anything decent is fine. (the same could be said about the PT)

The characters in general aren't interesting or likable and the storytelling is often poorly executed. The general ideas are good, but the writing is generally poor. (The same could be said about the PT) Besides a few exceptions, the only thing I like about TCW is the "pew pew".

The TCW movie is basically all action with just enough story to keep it going, which is why I enjoyed it. The dialogue is just horrendous, which is why I'm glad they kept the story to minimum so I didn't have to do this:

[image=http://therealmtoys.com/wordpressorg/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/SimpsonsElvis.jpg]

As for the series, the more they focus on story and character development usually the less I like it. Not because story and character development = bad, but because their attempts at story and character development are cringe worthy.

I don't own the series, because I just don't like the show enough to justify the purchase. If they stuck to action and minimized the stuff they suck at I'd like it a lot more. More episodes like the finale and less political episodes, less poison tea and droid spas.

I haven't enjoyed the show as much as others, so I don't want to show up and **** on past episodes and ruin everyone's fun.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    CT - that's fine, you and GG are always welcome to participate.

It would be good to hear the stuff you liked, if there is any. :p

This movie was light-hearted, and compared to the portentous and tedious PT, it did bring back the sense of fun to a certain extent.

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I am actually, somewhat, looking forward to viewing season one episodes again. :p
    It's season two that I'm worried about.

19. Rossley

Rossley Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2009
    6/10. I first watched the TCW movie shortly after Season 1 had finished airing; so coming after episodes like the Ryloth trilogy, Hidden Enemy and Hostage Crisis the first viewing was something of a let down. Still, I didn't unequivocally dislike it then and - having rewatched it - I don't unequivocally dislike it now. It's nowhere near as good as many of the episodes that have been aired since (though I'd probably take it over a few of the earlier Season 3 episodes *cough*Corruption*cough*), but I think it did have some positive points.

Positives

1. Anakin being a likeable character: In AotC and RotS I found Anakin to be thoroughly obnoxious. I was interested to see how his story played out, but I didn't feel as though I was watching the tragic fall of a hero so much as the logical progression of an irritating brat. In the TCW movie and the subsequent series though he comes across much more as a hero with a dark side (as oppose to a jerk who happens to save the day every now and then).
    2. The Battle of Christophsis
    3. Ventress: I thought that they did pretty well with the character here. Nika Futterman certainly does a good job with the voice acting.
    4. Ziro: I know that most people couldn't stand him, but I found him quite entertaining.

Negatives

1. Ahsoka's characterisation: I didn't dislike her here as much as I disliked Anakin in AotC, but I did find her grating. The character's definitely improved a lot over the last three seasons.
    2. The plot in general: It really isn't strong enough to sustain a feature film.

20. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Only things I didn't like was the fact that the characters felt the need to repeat the plot every other scene.
    "we must get jabba's son"
    "they have to get jabba's son"
    "if we stop the jedi...." yadda yadda yadda

fantastic theater experience.

edit- forgot that in one scene Ashoka says "i need experience" and then the next yells "i know what i'm DOoing!". :oops: Well obviously not since you need MORE xp! But honestly the battles, animation, and every part without Snips is enough to warrant an 8 IMO

21. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    7. I liked it, the battles of Teth and Christophsis were very good but I didn´t like Ahsoka in the movie and the Rotta plot. But still, a great movie and would have been better as separate episodes.

And now I´m part of the Ahsoka icons invasion.

22. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Was in doubt between 6 and 7. Went with a 7, more due to my initial reaction to the film. "It's actually pretty good, not this turd I keep hearing about." If I look at it in relation to these 3 past seasons, then it certainly suffers a bit more. The tone is very childish, the humor is mostly horrible, specially the Stinky and battle droid humor (though I do love the WHYYYYYYY gag), the animation is pretty stiff and the story very lose. But it has some great action scenes, some exciting, fist-pumping moments, some beautiful scenery, a very welcome use of old Ralph McQuarrie concepts, and even the music was quite interesting.

23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    That would be Granbi Wan Kenobi. Its a gran with Obi Wan's body. Weirdest kitbash I've seen.

24. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I gave it a 7. I notice when watching this film and them watching the series(paticularily when Dooku is in an episode) how awesomely appropriate Christopher Lee is as Dooku and how no one else even comes that close.

Paparazzo likes this.
  25. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Yeah you can't beat a bit of Dracula every now and then.

And as great as it was that Sam Jackson came back, I kinda prefer TC's rendition, purely because of God of War.:-B