main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Grand Admiral Ackbar

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ditolus, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    So is anyone besides me hoping Ackbar is still around and the grand admiral of the entire republic navy? He was my favorite character overall from rotj, and most of the original trilogy for that matter.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    He'll only appear if there is a trap in the Movie.
    Naw just kidding, but it is highly unlikely that he will appear in the movie, as he is too minor of a character.

3. Ditolus

Jan 22, 2005

well i think the best chance of him appearing would be in a cameo. nothing major.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    We can easily see other characters of the Mon Calamari type, but an Ackbar appearance would be pushing it.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Why, would he have changed careers in between movies? He was an Admiral in Ep6 & would be a war hero following the Battle of Endor.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Retirement? Death perhaps? :p

StoneRiver likes this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Possibly, but he looks the healthy type. Probably swims each day & eats plenty of seafood :)

8. Ditolus

Jan 22, 2005
    if i had to put it in human years, i'd say he was probably in his fifties in return of the jedi. this would put him in his late 70's or 80's in ep7. i could see him as the older supreme commander of the fleet or something.

9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Do we need to bring everyone back?

Was Jan Dodonna in TESB?

Well now the EU is gone, his fate is no longer decided. Let's have Jan Dodonna in EPVII.

And while we're at it where was Carlist Rieekan in RotJ? He needs to be in EPVII too :rolleyes:

10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    "It's a trap!" has become such a popular meme that bringing back Ackbar would likely end up being unintentionally funny.

11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Grand Admiral, its a promotion. No one can disobey orders from its magnitude.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    As much as I love ol' fish face, that's actually a little too much nostalgia even for my taste. Give him a role in an episode or two of Rebels instead - sort of how he showed up in TCW.

The Hellhammer, Six and StoneRiver like this.
  13. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Why wouldn't Ackbar be the grand admiral of the Republic navy? He's the grand admiral of the Rebel navy in ROTJ. You all seem so afraid of nostalgia that you don't realize that sometimes it's logical for things that we've seen before to appear again.

14. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I don't see the reason for bringing him back. He did a good job in ROTJ with blowing up the Death star, aswell as unintentionally saying one of the films' most iconic sentences. Just like othes pointed out in the thread, adding too much from the original trilogy in the new films will be pretty boring and kill the nostalgia.

However, it WOULD be pretty fun if there was another Mon Calamari dude or girl, a young Jedi who joined forces with the new trio, and when there was danger ahead he or she would say "Watch out, it's a trap!" It would definitely work as a funny reference to Ackbar, and only fans would get it while the normal audience would simply accept it as a plausible warning.

15. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    He was part of the Clone wars and around 50 years have passed since then so he would be pushing 100 i would say. So i think it is very unlikely

16. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    sometimes - not all the time.

If we have to see Ackbar then why didn't we see Dodonna after the destruction of the Death Star - wasn't he leader of the Rebels at the time? Why didn't we see Reikaan helping out in the Battle of Endor?

This story may not even involve the grand navy of the new republic so he wouldn't be required.

Sometimes is the key word. We didn't have to see those high ranking rebels I mentioned to enjoy the continuation of the story.

If the story calls for Ackbar and he has a role to play, I'm all for it.
    But for fanservice? For nostalgia? Not my cup of tea.

17. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    They were just the leaders of specific bases.

Ditolus likes this.
  18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Agreed with wanting Ackbar in Rebels, however this time without that dumb prince/king and Jar Jar. Set him up joining the Rebel Alliance due to the Empires actions.

As to VII it really depends if this use him seriously or just to have him in the movie repeating old dialog. A new admiral could work just as well and increase the scope of the universe so including Ackbar just to have Ackbar could hurt the film. So if they use him, use him seriously for a purpose.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm not at all afraid of nostalgia - I'm overjoyed that Luke, Leia and Han are back. That Chewie is back, and Artoo and Threepio. I very much hope Lando returns, as well as Wedge. I also hope for Hayden Christensen to appear as Force Ghost Anakin.
    But having Ackbar back might be pushing it, is all I'm saying. Wedge is more logical to have return, since he was in all three of the original movies. Ackbar would, as someone said, be unintentionally funny since he's become such an Internet sensation. Or even worse - it could be intentionally funny, which would just be awful.

Then again, if he's back, and it really serves a purpose, then why not.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  20. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well If there is a good, story reason for him being around, I'm all for it. But bringing him back just because he is Ackbar would be stupid.

Ryus and purplerain like this.
  21. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

Sorry, I'm not EU'd up (not that that makes any difference now). Could you please clarify for me?

Dodonna planned and commanded the attack on the Death Star? No? That's not a leader?
    From the film alone I took it that he was high up in the rebels.
    [​IMG]
    His placing in that pic certainly says to me he was high up in the command chain. Yet we never see him again.

Reikaan ordered the evacuation of Hoth. He was in charge of that group of Rebels. That's what I took from the film alone. Yet we never see him again.

To me, Ackbar is no different. He has served his purpose as it stands.

Immortiss likes this.
  22. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I edited my post (before you quoted it) to say that they were leaders of specific bases.

23. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    So Dodonna was leader of the Yavin base, yes? And Luke, Han and Leia were all with him there, correct?
    The Empire chased the Rebels from Yavin 4 but Luke, Han and Leia decided to leave that group and join another group on Hoth? The leader of which was Reikaan?
    I'm sorry mate, but I never got that from the opening crawl of TESB. All I got was the Empire chased them from Yavin, the Rebels got away, then the Empire found them on Hoth.

Anyway, we're digressing a little here ;)

I think, judging by your likes in this thread, we can both agree that if Ackbar is needed for the story then it's all good. But if he's just a fanservice cameo, why bother? [face_peace]

Ryus likes this.
  24. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    While we're still at it, I want Mon Mothma to return. Or her daughter.

StoneRiver likes this.
  25. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm only liking that because I'm taking it as sarcasm ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.