main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Grand Admiral Thrawn

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Twain, Jun 28, 2015.

?

Would you like to see a Thrawn Anthology?

1. Yes, I'd love to see Thrawn on the big screen

62 vote(s)
    53.0%
  2. Maybe, I'm open to the idea

41 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Nope, have no desire to see a Thrawn film

14 vote(s)
    12.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    What do you think about a potential Anthology film centered on Grand Admiral Thrawn? I'm curious what people think about the possibilities.

It certainly wouldn't be the Zahn storyline, but the character could still be used effectively. Perhaps in a setting before the fall of the Empire when Palps and Vader still reigned....maybe the story of how Thrawn earned the title of GA.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek and D'an like this.
  2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've often said that I hope for an early post-ROTJ film which centers on the adventures of the Big3 and the fallout from the Battle of Endor.

Maybe it can feature the Battle of Jakku, with Thrawn as the main antagonist?

I wouldn't be averse to something like that.

3. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    I think Thrawn can work in the Anthology films not as the focus of a movie or trilogy, but as an antagonist for a movie centered on something else. He can be reworked as the one the Rebels steal the Death Star plans from in Rogue One, for example.

And while he could keep his personality intact, I'd think Disney would get rid of the whole vlue skin/red eyes look. Just speculating though.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is he even canon anymore?

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    No. Unless they decide to use him now.

Dra--- and Hoggsquattle like this.
  6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, Lucasfilm can "reboot" him if they want too and put him in any era. Filoni said he was tempted himself to use the Vong in TCW.

Thrawn is a great concept but that whole "art/strategy" thing would need a bit of work.

7. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks for the comments and votes. I honestly thought there would be more discussion and interest regarding Thrawn though.

Only a few people seem interested, which may provide the answer, unfortunately, that was asked.

I personally very much enjoyed the character of Thrawn. He was an intriguing villain with a unique appearance and a distinct style from Vader. I think a Thrawn spin-off could be well done. Doesn't seem like a great deal of interest so far though.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    He's basically an evil Space Sherlock Holmes. Not sure if the market is willing to embrace that character type again, it seems like we've seen a couple Sherlock-expys recently (as well as the man himself).

Dra--- and Sarge like this.
  9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He's a brilliant commander and a non-Force User who nevertheless managed to nearly bring the entire Galaxy to it's knees by virtue of his brilliance. And he has a different kind of philosophy/way of doing things than most of the other Imperials that we've seen in these films. They could DEFINATELY made a good film with him as the main antagonist.

Twain likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think Thrawn could make and excellent villain if they don't overdo the Sherlock-isms. But I think Twain asked about him as a protagonist? I don't see that in the cards, to be honest.

11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    And what if this happens? :p
    [​IMG]

Alhazred, D'an and PCCViking like this.
  12. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    My bad. After reviewing my OP it does sound like I wanted to position Thrawn as the protagonist ("centered around") but that wasn't really what I had in my mind. More like an Anthology film depicting Thrawn's story set against the backdrop of the larger saga.

In my mind, I was thinking something like Thrawn leading an invasion of Mon Cala and forcing the mighty Mon Cal civilization --with their large fleet --to flee their home planet. I had a couple new rebel characters, along with Mon Mothma and Akbar as the protagonists, but thought that wasn't really necessary to the OP.

Now THAT would be just tooooo good. Wow, that'd be fun.

13. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I just think it implausible that the Blue Man Group morphed into its own species, and traveled from the Milky Way to the GFFA.

Dra--- and Darth_Voider like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ugh, that's my opinion on that. That show is the prime example of annoying Sherlock-isms. You know, like when he takes a quick glance at you and tells you your entire life history from the tiny little scar on your chin?

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

:oops:Someone needs to hide all the post-ROTJ old EU novels from Filoni.

16. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

No. Filoni can do anything. :D

Also, Thrawn's design is too human. If there is going to be main villain who is an alien, then make them more alien looking.

17. Skywalkin'

Skywalkin' Jedi Master

May 23, 2013
    I voted yes but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm really embarrassed to admit that I used to think that was so clever. 2015 me wants to reach back in time and smack some sense into 2010 me.

Sarge and Darth_Pevra like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    To be fair, it can work if it is presented as humoristic. I did enjoy the Sherlock Holmes film with Downey Junior.

19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    My vote goes to: Maybe, I'm open to the idea.

20. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm open to Thrawn, or a Thrawn-like character. As long as he's not just a blue human.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd be open to the idea.

22. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Thrawn without blue skin and red eyes is not Thrawn.

D'an and PCCViking like this.
  23. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    Well, since he is a character from books, he didn`t really leave an absolutely definitive visual impression on my mind. I would think that if his personality was left intact, he would still be recognizable as the Thrawn we know and love.

That being said, my suggestion has more to do with the belief that blue skin and red eyes would look kind of silly in live-action.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  24. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    It reads silly on the page as well. :)

Probably one of the least inspired alien designs in the EU.

Dra--- and Defensor like this.
  25. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.