main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grand Theft Auto III (PC Version)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by dinoX, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Just got my copy today, since I refuse to waste money on a console (if was to get one, it'd be a nintendo console, but that'd be about it).

This game is awesome. Although I never actually played the PS2 version, the PC version is great and I'll be playing it for a few months now. :D

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Cool. So, how the hell do you play it? Keyboard/mouse, joystick, gamepad...?

3. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Yeah, give me some more info.

4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    One thing that I want to know, is do cars dissapear?

Those who have played the PS2 version know what I'm talking about. You see a sweet looking car that you want to take but it's driving away. You turn away for a second, then look back and then the car's gone, like it dissapeared.

This has bothered me since I first played it. Other than that, it is the greatest game of all time. It is pure gold.

Also, what are the requirements?

5. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    I was thinking of picking this up tomorrow(along with SOFII) instead of waiting for the X-Box version, but I want to know about the controls first.

Edit: Looks like from now on, the GTA series will be a Sony exclusive.

6. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    Interesting.

7. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Though I have the PS2 version, I picked it up today. And I'm glad I did. The PC additions make it worthwhile to me.

Particularly, I like being able to use mp3s to create my own radio station, and now my player is "skinnable". I'm still gonna have to upgrade my computer now to meet the recommended requirements. Oh well.

8. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    What do you use for controls? Gamepad, Joystick, Mouse/Keyboard?

9. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    You can use any of those. The controls are a little more complex than the PS2 version, because you have more options. Of course, most of the options center around your perspective and camera angles. The basic controls are pretty simple.

I prefer using all three at once, mostly the gamepad, but I sometimes refer to the keyboard or mouse without any problem.

10. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    It's a hilarous game for sure. I love picking up street corner girls to regain health. Has anyone hijacked the tank yet? My friend and I did one afternoon

11. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Yeah, the tank is tough to get unless you use the cheat code. But once you get it, you are pretty much invincible unless you flip it over, drive it into the water, or get hung up so a cop can yank you outta there.

12. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Use your own MP3s? Customize your skin?

**Drools**

I need the PC version. Forget that now cruddy PS2 version.

13. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    I use keyboard/mouse for walking on foot and keyboard for driving. I tried the gamepad...but it just isn't fun that way.

I haven't figured out the mp3's thing yet myself...

...and where do you find the tank in the first city/part? I been trying to find it so I can take out those three laundromat trucks.

BTW on cars: the cars will be in the city you are in, there are usually one of some car, hard to find, but you can find it later. Usually it drives in circles around a certain section of the city.

I hate the Turismo mission for the diablos too. I hope I don't gotta complete their missions for the bridge and subway to be activated. If I do, thats lame.

14. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    "I haven't figured out the mp3's thing yet myself..."

It's pretty easy. You just take the mp3s you wanna include in your radio station and stick them in your "mp3" folder that's in the same folder as your game.

I even download some of the regular GTA3 radio commercials and mixed them in there to make it sound even more realistic. :D

...and where do you find the tank in the first city/part? I been trying to find it so I can take out those three laundromat trucks.

You can't get the tank in Portland. In fact, you can't even get in Stauton Island until you complete a certain mission.

HOWEVER, I have discovered the cheat code in the PC version that will drop a tank out of the sky and into the street in front of you.

While playing the game, type this in on the keyboard:

GIVEUSATANK

This game isn't even released in some places yet (like where I live). Please mask any cheats using "highlight" markup codes in future. Thanks.

BTW on cars: the cars will be in the city you are in, there are usually one of some car, hard to find, but you can find it later. Usually it drives in circles around a certain section of the city.

There's a good way to find rare cars that you can't find anywhere else early in the game: Go on firetruck or police missions. Usually, you'll stumble across a rare vehicle, like the Cheetah (the fastest car in the game). The cheetah is an awesome car to use on.....

Turismo mission for the diablos too. I hope I don't gotta complete their missions for the bridge and subway to be activated. If I do, thats lame.

You don't have to complete their missions. But they've got some awesome ones, like "Ice Cream You Scream!"

"Lure the fools to their doom with the jingle, jingle."

Best mission in the game. :D

You jack an icecream truck, rig it with an explosive, then turn on the "jingle". The crooks will come out of their hideout because they can't resist the icecream. When they walk up to the van, you detonate it! :D

But getting back to the Turismo, there are two E-A-S-Y ways to beat it.

1. Get any kind of car. If you want to set records, get a fast car. Use the tank cheat code three times. Park all three tanks in front of the other race cars, creating a barricade. Get to the starting line in your car, and let the race begin. The other three cars will either run into the tanks and keep butting them, never getting anywhere. Or, they will run into the tanks and explode! [face_devil]

2. Grab a couple of buses from the nearby bus company. Parking them in front of the race cars, and this will slow them down considerably. It should be an easy race for you.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    In case you missed my edit above;

This game isn't even released in some places yet (like where I live). Please mask any cheats using "highlight" markup codes in future. Thanks.

16. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Sorry. I didn't know.

17. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    up, up, down, down, left right, B, A, START.

EAT IT, JP!!!

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    This is the only console I've ever owned, Bib.

[image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pinwhiz/tunix01.jpg]

But I'll be sure to try that universal cheat on it should I ever power it up again.

19. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    What the hell is it?

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It's a NZ only console. A clone of the US "Emerson Arcadia", apparently.

Tunix.

I must have got it around 1980.

21. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    Nothing that pre-dates me by five years can be good. I demand that all existing models be destroyed immedietly.

22. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    Looks kind of like the Intellivision. Only the Disc on the controllers didn't have a joystick.

Intellivision

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Dunno if you can tell, but on that left cartridge artwork, we got a snowspeeder taking out a tie fighter, and a few Star Destroyers.

The game was a space-invaders clone. [face_plain]

Oh - and look, the star-chess cartridge artwork also featured a snowspeeder vs. Tie scenario (flying amongst chess pieces).

The cartridge art designer musta just seen ESB.

24. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    So, how many of you have unlocked other parts of Liberty City?

25. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    where did you guys get the game, and how much was it? i've been to best buy and comp usa, as well as wally world and target, nada! i dont like buying things online because of the shipping charges, and i see someone selling it on ebay with a buy it now price of 70 dollars! WTF?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.