Grand Theft Auto IV (Warning: Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Games' started by The_Crow, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
    So, you all know what GTA is. One of the most controversial and best selling videogame series ever made. This thread is about the 9th game of the series, called GTA IV, who will mark the 10th anniversary of GTA. If you want a thread about the series instead of just a game, here - http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9887889
    Few information has been provided to us at the moment. Its launch date is October 16 (USA and Canada) and October 19 (Europe), for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Possibly it will also be launched for the Wii. Rockstar said nothing about a PC version, but if we look back at the GTA franchise history, I think we can have hope.
    It will run in RAGE game engine (the engine from Table Tennis, also from Rockstar). It?s being written by Dan Houser (Rockstar co-founder), who also wrote the script for every game of the franchise since GTA 2, except GTA Advance (but also including Rockstar?s Bully). Joining him is a team of around 150 game developers.
    Now, to what really matters: GTA IV?s first trailer is going to be released on March 29th, in 14 days, and Rockstar's official website currently has a countdown for it.
    When it comes to expansions, from what I read Rockstar is not planning to do the same with this one as they did with GTA 3 series. They will not launch full games as ?expansions? to it; they?re instead planning to release episodic games, just like the Half-Life 2 Episodes. Is that a good or a bad thing? Time will say. What we know is that for now it?s apparently exclusive for the 360 and players will be able to download it from Xbox Live.
    On a last statement for this first post: Jack Thompson, I don?t like you!
    The guy sent a letter to Bill Gates (well, not directly, he actually sent it to newspapers and websites) to try to ?make him? stop the production of GTA for the Xbox or something.
    Shut up already Jack...

Stay tuned for updates kids.
    Kthxbai.

[image=http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1191/gtaivtraileremailhg9.jpg]

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/
  2. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    Ha! Already trying to stop the sale of GTA 4. It just shows that the guy is a fatuous gasbag who needs a life.
  3. zacparis VIP

star 7
    GTA IV is going to have to do something really special. It's got a lot of catching up to do, with games like Saints Row, Crackdown and Just Cause raising the bar slightly higher each time.

And I really hope they improve on the soundtrack this time, the music in San Andreas was pants.
  4. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
    Man, that's just crazy. Radio X was great. GTA VC, SA and VC Stories soundtracks are awesome because they put there the songs most played in the times when the games are supposed to be set.
  5. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Well I'm not a great fan of early 90s music, that's probably why. :p
  6. LeeroyJenkins Jedi Knight

Well, considering it was period authentic music, I can hardly find fault in that... of course, it'd be weaksauce if you didn't like the music of early 90's California/America... ;)
  7. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    QFT

Rockstar knows this, and I have a feeling that they're going to deliver, and maintain their lead in the sandbox genre. Can't wait to see how.
  8. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://files.gtanet.com/images/361.jpg]
    1. Helmet - Unsung
    2. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
    3. Faith No More - Midlife Crisis
    4. Danzig - Mother
    5. Living Colour - Cult Of Personality
    6. Primal Scream - Movin' On Up
    7. Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
    8. L7 - Pretend We're Dead
    9. Ozzy Ozbourne - Hellraiser
    10. Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
    11. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name
    12. Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
    13. The Stone Roses - Fool's Gold
    14. Alice In Chains - Them Bones
    15. Stone Temple Pilots - Plush

This radio is damn good.

--------//--------

Full article - http://www.gta4.net/news/single.php?id=3828

Euphoria in GTA IV?? That would be **** awesome!!

Don't know what Euphoria is?? Take a look - http://www.lucasarts.com/media/games/theforceunleashed/euphoria.mov
    http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/gameinfo/news/technology.html

9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    ...because I have so little credit in my profession that I am unable to do so myself.
  10. zacparis VIP

star 7
    There's three good tracks there, and that was the best station.

Vice City was by far the best, followed by GTA 3 for its electronica and classical stations.
  11. LeeroyJenkins Jedi Knight

I would argue that while GTA 3 had some good music that was well made, it was (all?) created specifically for the game as opposed to the real life music found in Vice City and SA where the whole goal was to create mood based off the areas they were based in. Hence, Vice City has lots of bad 80's pop and San Andreas has early 90's gangster rap. I don't pop those sorts of songs onto my iPod but they're really great for atmosphere in game. But that's just me, I guess.
  12. zacparis VIP

star 7
    GTA 3's music was made for the game, but it's still "real life" music. :p I thought some of it sounded pretty good. And having new music gave the game a sort of parallel world sort of feel, which added to its charm.
  13. 694377 Force Ghost

star 5
    Is'nt it meant to either be set in Manchester, Mexico or London??
  14. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Any city in England would be a nightmare, the streets are so narrow and crowded. If they weren't, it just wouldn't feel right. I'd be surprised it it's not America.
  15. LeeroyJenkins Jedi Knight

I actually think London and/or Europe would be a nice choice. Simply because we've done "Goodfellas" in GTA 3, "Scarface" in GTA VC, and "Boyz in the Hood" in GTA SA. London would allow Rockstar to use the British organized crime flicks for new material...
  16. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I would love to see something set somewhere besides the US. Honestly all they have left in the US is the Midwest and I think they could do better than Chicago or Detroit if they went to Europe.

I think they should set the game now since III didn't deplete their muscial supply for this era.

And Vice City had the best radio. Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Ozzy, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden made up for any of the garbage on V-Rock (which wasn't much). Everytime Madhouse came on I just wanted to drive around for 10 minutes until Raining Blood ended. Radio X in San Andreas had Helmet, Rage Against the Machine and Ozzy, but three songs aren't enough to make up for all the all tha grunge polluting it. DST had Kiss which rocked and Billy Idol was bearable, but mostly not to great. And in GTA III I listened to Chatterbox or nothing.

I happen to have San Andreas on XBOX which means I get to listen to whatever I want though. A very nice feature when the soundtrack leaves something to be desired 90% of the time.
  17. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
    I like every single song of Radio X. Grunge, alternative rock and heavy metal ftw. I also love VC and VC Stories soundtracks, I love 80's music and start liking Michael Jackson's Billie Jean listening to it while I was killing people driving my car in the beach:DIt's been years since the last time I played GTA III, I don't remember its soundtrack.

As for the city, it would be cool if the game was in Europe, yeah. Or Japan, what about that. Or even Australia. With luck we can see where it's going to be set in 2 weeks.
  18. LeeroyJenkins Jedi Knight

Now Australia would be neat.
  19. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    If it's set in Europe (or a fictional Europe-like place), it will probably be at least a few different cities. London, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome... maybe?
  20. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
    ...Lisbon?? Now that would be cool.
  21. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    If they tackled all of western Europe that would kick ass. Imagine travelling between countries instead of counties. Instead of going from Bone County into Red County you go from France into Germany or Spain. :cool:

Languages, vehicles, architecture, culinary opportunities and people all changing. It would be years beyond anything the competition could manage.

But my dreams are probably a full 2 console cycles away from being possible. :p

And Guy, I think it would be Europe. After all GTA has always mentioned America (and the Australian War). They just changed the names of cities.
  22. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
    So, what do you guys want for GTA IV??

I want skateboards, not only for ride, but also to use as a weapon. Also, I want to be able to take a bus or Taxi whenever I want to. Also, decent graphics and Euphoria.
  23. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    GTA already has a game set in London. Second off, the Getaway is the British GTA rip-off. To put it simply, GTA IV will not take place in the UK.
  24. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Maybe they'll set it into the future, so you'd, like, steal speeders on Coruscant, lol

I'm sorry ;)
  25. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
    It's not a game, it's two mission packs: London 1969 and London 1961.

That's not in the future, that's
    [image=http://praegnanz.de/images/474.png]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.