main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grand Theft Auto IV (Warning: Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The_Crow, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    The Banshee is my favorite. It handles best for my particular driving style. Plus Dodge Vipers just look bad ***.

2. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I forgot about the Banshee. My policy is to always have a Banshee or a Turismo outside each safehouse.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I have a Banshee and a Coquette sitting outside my Algonquin houses, but I don't drive them because I've never found any others and I don't want to lose them. :p And Steve's Comet that I got from the races just disappeared from outside my Bohan house :(

Just did 3 Leaf Clover, good but not as amazing as I was hoping. First good use of grenades for me though. And I've finally unlocked Alderney. :)

I think the Infernus is unique. So be careful with that one.

4. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    I kept that Comet too, but I moved mine to my Algonquin safehouse as soon as Roman bought it for us. Its undergone about 4 pay'n'spray jobs, evaded countless stars, and guided me through all but two Kiki dates (she said I was struggling when I picked her up in a Sabre GT! and was unimpressed at a Turismo...[face_plain])

Maybe some Bohan scumbag stole it while you were off commiting crimes? :p Thats the excuse I'd go with. Makes it sound like it was planned rather than just a glitch ;)

5. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    It disappeared before I even got the Algonquin house. But that seems the most likely explanation yes. Must've been a spree because my other car (the strip club owner's ute from the Dwayne mission) was gone as well.

Also go to bed, don't you have school tomorrow? :p

6. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    I do indeed have school tomorrow. But not until about 1:30.

Before that, I have to give blood with DarthVercetti. Cause we are teh model citehzannnns!!1!

On a completely unrelated note, you coming to the Xmas in July dinner Marcus?

7. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Read the thread. Stop spamming games with fanforce stuff. :p

Anyway do you have PS3? I will add you to my friends list.

8. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Sorry...

Yeah I've got a PS3, I thought I already told you that?

PSN is identical to my username here, send me an invite when you get the chance mate ;)

EDIT: Just to get back to the topic at hand, who has been your favourite McReary to work with so far guys? Patrick, Francis, Derrick or Gerry (I think that's correct)

9. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I've only done anything for Packie yet, and Francis, so I'd say Packie. Francis is just annoying as hell.

10. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I like Packie a lot but Gerry has some nice missions.

11. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Or to put it another way, did you kill Derrick or Francis?

I killed Francis - Don't really know why, other than that I disliked the idea of Francis asking me to kill Derrick - Derrick wanted me to protect him, as such.

Oh, spoilers above...

12. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Real smooth Sith_Lords, adding the spoiler thing at the end... :p

13. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    :D

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    "Packie is Dead."

You know what, Packie? How about you stick behind cover until it's CLEAR, rather than running into the middle of a ****ing firefight, blindly firing a ****ing shotgun at guys 50 yards away?

First couple of missions, Packie's a complete d***. I've definitely warmed to him since then. I prefer to think it's because he's gotten off the blow.

Doesn't change the fact that he's a complete dumbass in a firefight, though:

I'd made two attempts at the mission where you go to the warehouse with Packie and his two buddies to snatch the duffel bag full of cash. First attempt, we were almost out of the warehouse when Packie went nuts, ran out from cover, and literally stood in the open firing his shotgun around.

I desperately ran out, and tried to kill the remaining enemies in the warehouse, only to get the dreaded "Packie is Dead" message.

Next time through, I'm really paranoid about Packie. I figure I'll sacrifice some more of my own safety to try to keep the dumb Mick alive. We're going through the shootout outside the warehouse, and Packie -- like the dumbest mother****er ever -- is STANDING OUT IN THE OPEN while two guys are firing at him from cover about five feet away.

He can't shoot them, and I can't get an angle on them. I brilliantly decide to lob a grenade over the cover to kill them both. I not-so-brilliantly ding it off the front of the cover they're using, and it lands at Packie's feet.

Luckily, I threw it early, so Packie has a good 3-4 seconds to stand there staring at the thing that landed at his feet before it blows him to ****.

Packie is dead.

15. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    ****Possible mild spoilers below****

I never had a problem on Packie's 3 "heist" jobs.

The main problem was that I kept dying.

16. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Did anyone else feel that after all the awesomeness that wa this game, that the final mission(whatever you chose to do with "the deal") was an utter and compete letdown?

I thought it was far, far, far to easy, and the ending cutscene for both scenarios lacked any emotion at all compared to the rest of the game being packed with it.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Cars remain at their parking spaces if they're squarely parked within them and (though I'm not 100% sure) if you save your game within the safehouse after parking your car. If you abandon your fancy car mid mission and your game auto saves after completing it, well, good luck finding it. You'll definitely lose it forever if you re-start a failed mission after 1)failing it, 2) being busted or 3) getting yourself killed.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    By the by, is there a particular trick to finding the random characters or do you have to go to a specific part of town at a specific time to meet them?

19. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes, but the Comet had remained there for several reloads etc and then disappeared one day. Strange.

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I lost mine (if we're talking about the car you "win" from Brucie and his pal after that first race) when doing the strip club mission. I beat the mission but got killed soon afterwards. I tried going back where I left the car but, naturally, it was long gone. I'll try to keep the one I got from Bernie/Florian as long as possible or even sell it if the price is good.

21. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I never use my personal cars for "work."

From an in-game standpoint, driving your fancy comet or infernus to "work" is asking for it to disappear forever.

From realistic standpoint, it just makes more sense to jack a random vehicle to commit crimes with. Then you can ditch it and get another random vehicle to help lose the cops.

Also (spoilers below)

You have to be careful with the random characters since their "missions" can cause your car to disappear.

I was driving in my comet to my first date with Kiki when Jeff the Cuckold called me to meet him in a nearby parking garage and then dump his freshly murdered wife's body. I wasn't thinking so I met him only to realize that it, not only forced me to stand Kiki up but forced me to drive another car, meaning my comet would go bye-bye.

I had to reload my last save and turn my phone off to go on the date with Kiki, then drive it back to Bohan and jack a random car to meet Jeff.

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    There are quite a few brutal execution animations. Towards the end of the game, if you choose to kill Darko, Niko shoots him about 20 times in the legs and chest...it made me chuckle at how over-the-top it was.

I've had no problems with lack of anarchy on GTA's multiplayer, but Freeplay is essentially just deathmatch CQB. It's not at all fun, unless you're playing with friends.

Or else, dial GUN-555-0100. Keeps me in explosives and sniper rounds for whenever the urge to slaughter should strike. Which generally seems to be whenever I complete or fail a mission.

The fact that the pigeons make noise helps, but not as much as I'd like. There's one near the Perestroika Club, but I can't find it. I'm guessing it's sitting on the marquee, hidden from street-level view, but I haven't tried looking too hard, yet. All the free stuff (pigeons, guns, armor) is a lot harder to find this time around.

The only way to hunt pigeons properly is with an RPG. That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's a damn fine way to spend a Saturday.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Niko has stolen a police car and has lost his wanted level after annihilating half a block, running over several pedestrians, and severely damaging a number of other vehicles who were unfortunate enough to be in his path.

He stops in the middle of a highway after he notices that his engine is on fire. Myriad cars pile up around his vehicle as he quickly opens the door and scrambles to safety. He finds security on the sidewalk and watches as the police car erupts into a miniature volcano, sending pedestrians flying and setting other cars ablaze. Soon, those vehicles follow suit, resulting in a total of seven beautiful explosions.

It is at this time that a single ambulance arrives. Niko decides that his work here is done as he steals a white and blue Voodoo from a helpless woman and drives off into the sunset, a grin spread across his face.

Damn, I love this game.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    So I had my second and final encounter with that loveable psycho, Eddie Low. Ah Eddie, you shoulda heeded the old adage of never bringing a knife into a gunfight (that or "dont bite off more than you can chew). He's a fast mutha, but just as I pulled out my SMG he upped and charged me. A point blank blast in the chest blew him away like 10 or so feet. I simply walked up to his carcass, grabbed his loose cash and drove away grinning from ear to ear.

Yup, this game is virtual crack and I love every second of it.

25. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    *sneaks in*

Grand Admiral Auto !

*sneaks out*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.