Grand Theft Auto IV (Warning: Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Games' started by The_Crow, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_AM_GEEK Jedi Master

star 4
    The first trailer for the DLC has been released.

It just shows cut scenes no gameplay, lots of metal, angry bikers and the occasional stripper.

2. goraq Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Whe is this going too be out in Pc?
  3. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    It is currently out for pc.
  4. goraq Jedi Youngling

star 4
  5. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    GTA IV: The Lost and Damned drops Feb. 17.

Cost is 1,600 MS Points, or $20 dollars -- and it looks massive, on par with Bethesda-scale DLC offerings. From the IGN article:

Depending on skill level and amount of time you spend messing around, Rockstar expects The Lost and Damned to take anywhere from 12-20 hours to complete. And that's just the single-player story. For $20 (1,600 MSP), L&D offers a full-fledged campaign, new locations, new mini-games (arm wrestling!), refined gameplay mechanics, new vehicles, new weapons, a hefty new soundtrack, new DJs, new TV shows, new Internet sites, and new multiplayer. One thing's for certain: Rockstar isn't dicking around with horse armor.

To access The Lost and Damned, boot up a copy of GTA IV and start a new game. You can now choose between GTA IV and L&D. Though both take place in Liberty City, the two are separate stories and separate game worlds, meaning you don't gain access to the new interiors in L&D if you're playing GTA IV. You can't take Niko into The Lost clubhouse to kill a bunch of bikers, sorry. Aside from the initial download, you won't need an Xbox Live connection to play L&D. Unlike some downloadable content, there's no online verification required. So if the 'net goes down, you can still take L&D for a spin.
    />

Lots more in the article.

I LIKED the horse armor, though. I'm kinda sick to death of people slagging it, and automatically screaming "Horse Armor!!" whenever there's DLC that's perceived to be inferior. It kept my fricking horse ALIVE a lot longer than otherwise in a game where the horsies die left and right, which is all that matters.

Damn. Me likey. Looks like I'll have to get this one after all. Wasn't sure it was gonna be worth the rumored $20-25 price tag, but I stand corrected. And it appears this storyline runs parallel to the main game's plot, since Elizabeta, pre-prison, and Playboy X, pre-my blowing his ass away, appear in it./>/>
  6. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Anyone downloaded "The Lost and Damned" yet? IGN gave it a solid 9.0. Just got it up, and have been playing for about an hour or so.

You play as the biker-dude Niko meets during the museum heist, Johnny "The Jew" Klebitz. And, appropriately, play that same mission from his side. Also, that one mission early in the game that Elizabeta gives you where you go inside the apartment and it turns into a clusterfrak and the cops show up and you and Playboy book it...you take it from Johnny's point-of-view.

And the new grain-filter on the game is a step above Mass Effect's -- makes everything seem grimy and dirty. (You can deactivate it, though, if you really want to.)

After having played Saints Row 2 via rental, it certainly helped me appreciate GTA IV's refinements all the more. And there's a c*** in this game.

Rockstar has the balls to put a wang in the game, but not t***ies? I mean, the entire campaign Roman was going on and on about t***ies, but none of them were over a C-cup, and not a nip in site. Thus proving Rockstar has become gay. There, I said it.

Maybe Rockstar is now gay, but they still know how to do action gaming. I freaking love this DLC. My favorite weapon so far is definitely the sawn-off shotgun. I just drive on the sidewalk now, clearing the pedestrians in front of me with a single blast of my shotty.

And Grenade Launcher = Win.
  7. HemDazon90 Jedi Knight

star 3
    thats the worst penis Ive ever seen[face_sick] that dude needs to shave!

anyway otherwise I am enjoying this game sawn off shotguns are so full of win
  8. zacparis VIP

star 7
    So there's penises in GTA IV, Spore, Little Big Planet, and just about every smack-talking discussion on Xbox Live.

The entire gaming community is gay.
  9. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I have to concur's with IGN's rating regarding the story: 10 minutes into this and I know I so don't care about any of these bikerscum fraks. And considering we know Johnnie screwed Niko in the original game, it's gonna be even harder to care about his side of things.

How do you turn off the annoying grain-filter. And why did Rockstar think this would be a good thing.

And really, DLC that could conceptually improve the core game by leaps and bounds (the bikes DO handle much better on TLAD, and the weapons I've used so far are bada$$) but you can't use it there. Brilliant piece of upgrading guys, really.
  10. zacparis VIP

star 7
    http://360voice.gamerdna.com/game.asp?game=GTA+IV

Looks like the Lost and the Damned just might pay off for MS. :p
  11. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    PC mods FTW.

But yes, future DLC should try to add to the core game. I'd love more vehicles, clothes, missions, accessible interiors, and heck, even more "friends." The environment is so great that the only problem once you've beaten the game is that you run out of things to do. Driving around all day and beating up randomly people gets old.
  12. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Going sidewalk-bowling in first-person driving mode, however, NEVER does.

Oh my god...the auto-shotty is the ***damn Rape Train.

I'm considering my $20 well-spent right now.

The soundtrack for "The Lost and Damned" is so fricking awesome, especially Cavalera's Death Metal program. I keep just parking the bike and listening to the station whenever it comes on. Kreator, Celtic Frost, Cannibal Corpse, Terrorizer...it's glorious. It makes the bike chases that much more intense. (List of the new added tracks and programs.)

And I wish to hell you could carry over the mid-mission checkpoints into the main game proper. The chases are also vastly improved by the motherfrakkin' sawed-off shotgun, which can waste pretty much any car in two shots. Nothing like driving beside a police car, at full speed, putting two rounds into it and watching the cops leap out while aflame.

Yeah, that dude had quite the epic ballfro going. Prune that **** every once in awhile, man.
  13. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    So I trucked through the campaign over the weekend. Truth be told, epic it was not. It had its moments (Stubbs' airport assasination mission being one and the storming of Alderney's State Penitentiary being the other, but it was oh so meh, and the ending straight out of Fable 2. I mean, here you are, facing off against the guy responsible for the breaking of your piece-a-crap, motherfrakking MC, and he just stands there waiting for you to dispatch him in any way you see fit. I mean, didn't this garner at least some sort of cutscene that would've made it all worthwhile at the end?

Well, nothing left do now but to complete the side missions and misc. activities...or not. There's no achievement for 100% completion of TLAD, so why even bother?

Oh yeah, as for Stubbs' full frontal...was that really necessary, Rockstar?
  14. Sabre_11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Definitely sounds like something I would say :p

Anyway, seeing as how Invidious has been pretty much on the money with everything said about GTAIV, I dont feel sad at all about missing out on this DLC.

Fallout 3, on the other hand... [face_frustrated]
  15. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Considering how underwhelming some of the DLC on recent (and not so recent) games has been, MS should revisit their pricing strategy on these and, I dunno, issue them at a standard price so that some folks won't be burned (and these days, holding on to $20 to buy software or something more important as, say, food to feed your belly IS a critical decision). I made the mistake of immdiately DL'ing TLAD before reading some of the reviews. Hindsight being always 20-20, I should've spent those $25 elsewhere...
  16. I_AM_GEEK Jedi Master

star 4
    I started playing this again with all the hype for the DLC, so this time I might actually get around to finishing the game, my last save was after snow storm, and I just finished Three Leaf Clover a couple of nights ago.

I'll probably get the DLC at some point as theres not much coming out for a while.
  17. Maarek-Stele Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've been enjoying the DLC so far.
  18. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    ...And we have an official title for the next DLC:

[image=http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/986/986518/gta-iv-the-ballad-of-gay-tony-20090526011831545.jpg]

Seriously.

$19.99, like before.
  19. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Pass

I appreciate their efforts to engage in real storytelling, but I feel they're doing it at the expense of interesting gameplay. Maybe they should just switch to making films?
  20. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    I'm waiting to see myself, but if nothing else, I love that a gay character is going to be taking center stage on the mainstream gaming scene, thanks to this. Though Jack Thompson's next coronary/thrombus is fast approaching, methinks.

Also, I found this particular bit from the article quite interesting:

Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City, a disc-based release that will include both The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony. This disc will hit retail this fall, exclusively for Xbox 360. It will have a price of $39.99, and will not require a copy of GTA IV to run.
    />
    />
    Which means that there will be some copies out there at a non-publisher-fixed price point; probably $30 in some places. I got around 20 hours out of "The Lost and Damned" at the end of the day, so for about a dollar-per-hour, I'm fine with the pricing structure. />/>
  21. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Another piece by IGN gives more detail on this new DLC's protagonist, which finally explains the odd name of the GTA IV achievement once you beat the "Museum Piece" mission. Makes me wonder if all episodes had therefore been planned since the beginning. This one, however, I'm not picking up; I considered TLAD and it's ridiculous price as a complete ripoff; I'd rather play more Niko missions, something a la GTA 4.5...
  22. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
    How is 20 dollars for more content than most full priced (non-open world) games a ripoff?

It's about a quarter the size for a quarter the price of the original.
  23. zacparis VIP

star 7
    GTA IV may be slow at times, but man do I love the city environment.

[image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/games/libertycity.jpg]

Just a random picture I took from my TV.
  24. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
  25. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Some new screenshots from the upcoming Ballad of Gay Tony trailer.

(...Which should be dropping some time this week.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.