main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediKnight20043, Jul 11, 2013.

1. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    The Franklin assassination missions do that, but one example I read was you could invest in one airline and then blow up all the competing airline's planes.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The game's stock market is far too volatile in order to make surefire investments that might net you millions in the short-term. Granted, you are given hints both in the news articles and recent stock behaviour, but ultimately your ROI is hilariously minimal considering how quickly a stock's value will change for no apparent reason.

So no, the only way the stock market can be used as a money making machine is only during the Franklin assassination missions AND after pulling of the major heists. Only AT that time we'll you have enough cash at hand to go crazy with the market.

Sent from my Samsung Mega Astromech Droid

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't actually play the stock market as the game breaks every time I use the internet in the game.

4. AstroFan428

Oct 3, 2003
  5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Oh it's online. Boo. Got excited there for a second.

6. AstroFan428

Oct 3, 2003
    First footage of a heist in GTA Online

7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Just a question regarding the soon to be PC version. Will my PC be able to run the game at full spec?

CPU: i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ IntelĀ® Turbo Boost)

RAM: 16GB DDR 3

Video: GeForce GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5

Optical: DVD only (but I got the unit at a VERY good price so it was a fair compromise)

Although I have a lot of RAM, I was really surprised to find that I was barely able to run Shadow Warror at medium specifications yet I can run Bioshock 3, Batman Arkham Origins, and almost Far Cry 3 (only anti-aliasing needed to be tweaked just a notch down but it still looked stunning) at full settings.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I have no clue on pc. I haven't bought a game on PC in a good while. I just got a ps4 and started the game/online on it. Nice step up from the previous generation version.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, I defragment my drive twice a week and always have latest drivers plus also keep my anti-virus/system care software up to date. It runs very nicely and all the games I have run well. But GTA (apart from the very first two titles in the GTA family) have always had the reputation for people system hardware hungry. I'm sure I can run it but after my experience with Watch_Dogs I am somewhat nervous. We'll see though. But the leap from GTA IV and V in terms of visual detail is noticeable.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    please tell me you don't defrag an SSD?

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I've been doing it for a year and a half, running as good as it ever has since Day 1.

I know there's a lot of recommendation against it but I'm yet to experience any issues with it. Windows loads nicely as do games.

What's your take on it?

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It's unnecessarily shortening the life of your SSD for no real gain.

Ramza and Ender Sai like this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That.

I mean, the thing with defragging is you're literally cleaning up physical caps in a HDD.

SSD isn't structured that way, so...

15. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, ill take that on.

But, what do I do when my SSD does start to become defragmented because Windows does tell me that it can get like that. Or is the system giving me inaccurate information?

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It would be accurate information if it was a standard HDD. Windows can't tell the difference between the two, and I'm not sure any other OS can either, so it's assuming it's a standard HDD. Just ignore it.

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I've done some reading on it and apparently Windows 8 is smart enough to not only defrag when it seems necessary but it does it at a frequency that reduces the chances of wear and tear on your SSD. Is it really that reliable?

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I doubt it. Every time your write data on an SSD you're wearing it out. The less times you write to it the longer it will last. Defragging an HDD is only useful when it's a 'normal' HDD with moving parts. What defragging does is it moves all the file fragments together so that files exsist contiguously on the the disk so that when you read a file the reader can stay in the same track to read the whole file instead of skipping about to several locations to read it all. Skipping about is a lot slower and the more fragments the slower it will be and the worse the performance will be, all because the moving parts have further to move. With an SSD there are no moving parts. You could fragment a file so that it exists all over the drive and read each fragment will be as quick as reading the fragment before. Because of this there really is no need to defrag your SSD.

19. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I see. So where a standard HD would use a needle and disc to write data, the process in an SSD is completely digital consisting of 1's and 0's. I should also note that I do not delete my games once I'm done with them, I just leave them on the hard drive rather than delete it only to install it again months later.

20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Just got an SMS last night - GTA V available for pick up. Awesome!

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I have it and can't wait to get home to install. 7 DVDs!!!

22. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    60.04 gigabyte install because I was given a CD key for it by a very generous friend for my birthday.

No free time til the weekend though :(

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I was going to get it on Steam, but in Australia it's $20 more for Steam than on disc.

24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Whaaaaaat?! That's not a game, it's an operating system!

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I know, right?

We should meet up in GTAO

TryWhistlingThis likes this.