main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediKnight20043, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's part of GTAV but is completely separate. You can't drop into someone's single player game and they can't drop into yours. From what I've heard though it will not be available at launch and the multiplayer won't go live until Oct 1.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I just read up on that. My internets is not strong today.

But damn, this looks basically like a GTA MMO. And that it's absotively, posilutely ridiculous at that.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's the multiplayer component of the game but it doesn't go live until Oct 1st.

Also it should be noted it's not an MMO where everyone is online. You connect with up to 16 people and play from there.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Lucky day, I found a $50 bill in a parking lot, so I used that to pay off my GTA5 preorder. Now to wait another month...

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Still no confirmation on a PC release date. Sigh. I guess the console kids need to gnaw their controllers for a few months first...

6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yes I shall gnaw with joy! Red Dead R didn't get a PC release either, Rockstar shouldn't ignore the PC....

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Only way I'd buy this game is if the controls are different and much, much improved so it can be playable

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Oh, you've tested the controls?

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Pretty sure he means in comparison to GTA IV.

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    GTAIV, GTAV, Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 all have the same engine running things; IV, RDR, and Max Payne 3 all control fairly differently. I think it's safe to say GTAV is going to feel very different from its predecessors, and considering each featurette I've seen on GTAV has made mention of improved control, I would gladly stand behind that statement.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Have you played GTA IV? The controls in that game are terrible, that's what meant for GTA V

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yes, I have played GTA IV, and as I said above, it shares the same engine with Max Payne 3 and Red Dead Redemption, games that control very well albeit very differently from each other. GTA V is running on the same engine, thus I think it is safe to say that GTA V will control and feel different from other RAGE games.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I just did a "month of Grand Theft Auto reviews" on my website, actually. All in anticipation of the upcoming release of GTA V.

Vice City: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/08/retro-review-grand-theft-auto-vice-city.html
    San Andreas: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2011/11/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-review.html
    GTAIV: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/08/grand-theft-auto-iv-review.html
    GTAIV: TLATD: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/08/grand-theft-auto-4-lost-and-damned.html
    GTAIV: TBOGT: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/08/grand-theft-auto-iv-ballad-of-gay-tony.html

Plus, an essay on violence and GTA: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2011/11/is-grand-theft-auto-series-too-violent.html

So you could say I'm a bit of a fan.

I'm really looking forward to GTA V's release. I think the trailers have indicated we're going to have an excellent story and all of the side-activities look absolutely sweet. I hope we'll be able to buy property again, though, because that option was sorely missing from GTA IV and made the accumulation of money less worthwhile because I loved spending but there wasn't enough to do so.

I'm a bit leery on the fact we've got three protagonists this time but the ability to switch between them seems like a cool feature. I'm also a big fan of "Heist" movies so knowing that robbing jewelry stores, banks, and so on is going to play a big role in the game also makes it fun. "Three Leaf Clover" was my favorite mission from GTAIV.

I've been spoiled as to what the radio stations songs are going to be and I was underwhelmed, unfortunately. Still, everything else looks cool. I'm particularly interested in seeing what scuba diving is going to be like and whether there's anything worth investigating underneath San Andreas. It's not like there's any lost cities or pirate treasure there.

OR IS THERE?

:D:cool:

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The problem with GTA IV cars (and sports bikes; cruisers were a dream) was that the cars tended to have far too much torque going to the wheels so you'd struggle for grip. I did a lot of online racing and you would find that people would simply adapt. Drift through corners, lift off the power or apply a small amount of throttle until they reestablished grip, and proceed.

GTA V is said to address the handling issues. However, I guess they iron the bugs out with the console kids before handing it over the PC modding community to enjoy.

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I adapted pretty well to GTAIV cars once I got the hang of the fact I wasn't supposed to put the pedal to the metal immediately.

It actually hurt my adaptation to Saints Row III.

I will say bikes were unusable until "The Lost and the Damned" and helicopters remained a nightmare throughout.

I'm really excited about GTA V but I'm curious how they'll manage all the hype and expectations.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Helicopters were actually really easy to control for me, so I dunno what the trouble was. Actually piloting the craft was very intuitive, and I just had to be careful while landing.

17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    My pre-order has shipped; perhaps I will get it tomorrow.

18. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001

I expect to see an 'optimized' release at some point next year for PC and next-gen consoles. Probably within about 6 months.

19. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I always found dog fighting with Helicopters frustrating.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    10 from IGN, 10 from Edge, 9.5 from Polygon, 9.0 from Gamespot, yeah you get the idea.

21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I really liked Jim Sterling's review - he says the air vehicle controls need some more work and the combat feels a little dated, but it's overall amazing and a definite buy. He also gives it a 9/10, because wouldn't 10/10 be the perfect, Platonic ideal of a game?

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    10/10 reviews tend to bother me, as I can't think of any game I've ever played in which there was absolutely nothing that could've been better.

Penguinator likes this.
  23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I remember reading a comment on Reddit that said something to the effect of you shouldn't view scores as a measure of quality but as a measure of recommendation. So if a game gets a 10/10 it doesn't necessarily mean it's "perfect" but that the reviewer gave it the highest amount of recommendation that they could give.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Then why score it? If it's a "must play," call it that - assigning numbers is just an (often-unquantifiable) way of saying, "This is better than that." It's jarring with this, because every review I've seen has said the game isn't perfect. Rev3games gave it five stars out of five, but it's different on a five point scale than on a ten point, and they had complaints as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm convinced GTA5 is as close to perfect as we'll get, but the reviews around it are gonna be a bugaboo for some time, I'm certain.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    No I agree that using scores, especially when it comes to video games, isn't the best method but generally people won't read reviews in their entirety and just want to find the score that will more or less help them decide whether or not to purchase.