main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediKnight20043, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'll get around to it soon. I do want something in which I can play Arkham Knight and a new console simply isn't it.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    LESS POSTING MORE PC BUYING!

:p

I'm not happy that the suits in the game are all American cut single vent monstrosities. I want double vents. :(

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

If this helps, here's what i'm running:

CPU: i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ IntelĀ® Turbo Boost)

RAM: 16GB DDR 3

Video: GeForce GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5

Alienware. It flies quite nicely. As far as GTA is concerned (take note that I always output to monitor) I am able to run this at 1920X1080 with very smooth performance. Admittedly, it does become an issue when you start to adjust things such as shadowing, lighting and anti-aliasing but GTA is a top tier game as far as hardware requirements go. But don't let that put you off because the game STILL looks better than any of the console counterparts going around. Outside of GTA, I can run pretty much any game at full specification, advanced graphics and all. If you want a serious gaming system, you'll be wanting a minimum of 8GB of DDR 3 RAM but I seriously would consider going to 16GB.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    My boss is a PC building nut. I'll give him that shopping list to see what we can rig together.

5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Keep in mind those are mobile PC hardware components. Don't give him that literal list because he'll just hand you a JB Hi-Fi brochure. But, tell him you want a minimum of 8GB of RAM, a decent video card that is no older than 18 months with at least 1GB of video memory on board and Windows 8 is a must. Don't go for anything earlier.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, I have a quad core AMD 4.2gHZ processor and an NVIDIA GTX-760 and I am getting 70 FPS with most settings on normal-high.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Ender Sai, TryWhistlingThis, what do you guys use as far as cooling goes? What I'd really like to have in a new PC is something compact enough that I can hook up to my HDTV and fit somewhere around my entertainment center (yeah, I guess I could find a large enough HDMI cable to lay around the room but still). But if the case is too small, I assume that cooling/ventilation will suffer, correct?

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO CPU fan.

9. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Mine's all pre-built, it's a laptop. I don't use desktops anymore.

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

I see. I'd also prefer something that mobile as well. So if I understand your previous posts correctly, you're not using your laptop's display but are outputting to a larger, separate display?

11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Pretty much, unless i'm away from my monitor. I might take it into work if it's quiet or if i'm holiday with family. Other than that, my laptop is used like a desktop almost all the time in that I play on a monitor. I must try it on my HDTV some time.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    That's my plan in any case: play off a PC using my HDTV as display, sitting in the comfort of my couch and switching between mouse/keyboard to 360 controller when suitable.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    TryWhistlingThis - I have no idea what happened yesterday with that apartment thing. I'd specifically set it so friends can enter the place (It's Apartment 2 in Richards Majestic tower).

I saw someone killed you so I hunted them down and got them with a beautiful homing rocket on their car. I was debited insurance costs, but whatever. Nobody messes with people on these boards but me!

The car I picked you up on was a modified Dewbauchee Massacro (aka Aston Martin Vanquish). From memory I have bullet proof tyres, armour grade 1, engine grade 1, brakes grade 1, transmission grand 1, and a racing spoiler for traction. When I can bring it racing, I've found it just grips like nobody's business.

The other one of note that I had was a Dewbauchee JB700 grand tourer (aka Aston Martin DB5). I'm debating whether I get a 4 door Dewbauchee Exemplar (aka Aston Martin Rapide) for heists etc. It's pretty impressive performance wise. But so is this... Kuruma (Armoured).

The benefit to this is it makes some heists easier, because you can literally just drive around whilst your players shoot from the car. But, a lot of people have them and generally it's a bit "easy mode". Whilst it makes stealing the Vago's plane in the Prison Break heist less of a challenge, I really just like the idea of a garage full of Aston Martins...

14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, it was the same guy that shot me multiple times. Works of all he did it drive by style with what seemed like an uzi. Good to know you're watching over us, Ender!

Yes, you indeed have a very nice collection of Aston's. The Connery era Aston I especially like. That was the one I had my eye on lol

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I saw sharkymcshark online too, but he dropped offline pretty quickly.

If you're around tomorrow night I'll run you through a few missions, get some XP.

I have a house up in the hills too, with a Dominator parked in the garage there. It's a pity you can't get huge houses. :(

16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I've barely played GTA V. The last time I played a GTA title properly was GTA 2. I do have GTA 3 and GTA 4 but didn't stick with them long. This one I have a lot of time for because of the newer innovations. To be honest, I really need to get stuck into the story mode so I can have the experience of actually using the controls. The reason why I didn't answer your calls last night was because I didn't know how to navigate my way around the phone touch screen. I eventually figured it out but I just have so much to learn. There's more controls on this than Microsoft's Flight Simulator!

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah and I wasn't sure if you could hear me when you called. There's no "whisper mode" chat to speak of.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm also considering building an online race track for the game. Based on the old US Grand Prix track at Long Beach.

19. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm still waiting for someone to rebuild the bank heist scene from heat. It can easily be done.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Run a heist or two with me. You'll see how good the ones they have are.

Heat, of course... such win. Did you play Payday 2?

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Ok, how the **** do you mothers already have multiple apartments with 10 car garages so damn quickly? I had to work for weeks, grinding stupid jobs and survival matches in order to get my first apartment and first few cars! What, were you bums awarded with $1mm in GTA cash upon purchase?

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, just $500,000.

I just did a few races a) against people I got the measure of, holding back so I could observe then betting $20K on myself to win (I did) and b) lots of solo racing on a solo session to farm cash and learn the tracks. You get $5K-$9K per race. Plus on one track, The Commute, on sports cars a few times with a mate (you need to win X races in category/Y in general to unlock some car upgrades, so we swapped wins) and was managing lap times of 1:36.01s. Last go I managed a 1:31.44. :D

23. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

No, but i have seen the cover art. From what I can tell the creators of the game spent the entire development cycle watching Dark Knight, Heat, Quick Change while playing GTA and Kane & Lynch.

You recommend?

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    HIGHLY. Very highly.

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004

I've seen this recommended for gaming PC builds for use in the lounge room.
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=210

Darth_Invidious likes this.