main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediKnight20043, Jul 11, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I feel sorry for the guy. I hope the cops get whoever did it.

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just got it today. Some guy got busted trying to pass counterfeit $20's buying the game. Certainly set the tone before I played it [face_laugh]

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Having a dog in this game is badass

4. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    No, it shouldn't be applauded. The reviewer constantly shoves their politically correct agenda hogwash in everything. There is nothing conceited in what Rockstar did. They made a video game that's for FUN, not a propaganda piece for social or political agenda mindwash. If games start doing that, I wont be playing/buying them.

Did I say anything about the score being the reason for me stopping to be on the site? No. I could really care less at exactly what the score is. yet, the REASON for it being lowered was part of it. The reviews and articles subject matter on that site are constantly leftist and politically correct driven. It's somehow ok for THEM to shove their agenda on everyone. It's hypocritical. That's not crap I want in my games, or on websites about games. Nothing "petty" in that. I simply want nothing to do with those kinda of agendas, nor will I support them.

5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Anyone find the Alien in the prologue?

Jedi-Anakin-Solo likes this.
  6. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001

I'm going to guess by your avatar you saw it in the same Achievement Hunter video I did. :p

I actually just encountered the same aliens in one of the 'Strangers and Freaks' missions.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Yep. I watched it right before I started watching the podcast. :)

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

But invariably, a narrative - especially one such as this, which contains a serious amount of satire - is going to get into some thematic questions/discussions/etc.

And how the hell is being anti-misogyny a remotely "political" stance?

Ender Sai and Bacon164 like this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    This game is better than San Andreas so far

10. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    4 in a half hours in just doing some missions and really im amazed at how los santos looks. so far i havent got to trevor yet but im taking my time just having fun checking out the city

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Don't you control Trevor in the Prologue, don't really know the names except for Franklin and Michael

Also, still amuses me that the barber can you give a beard and long hair [face_laugh]

12. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005

i thought that was him but didnt know for sure

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Can you provide an example? I don't recall seeing anything politically oriented in the review beyond an accusation of misogyny, and if you think that's a political issue, it really says something detrimental about your character.

You don't seem to understand what I was saying. A 'conceit,' in this instance refers to an abstract, exaggerated concept, which is absolutely what Rockstar built from and executed in their open world extravaganza.

Well, if you think Grand Theft Auto is mindless fun, you might want to save your money or return the game you just purchased. The series is the most effective political/social satire that currently exists on the market. I apologize if you haven't realized that after over thirteen years of gameplay.

I don't understand. What is hypocritical about an individual expressing their point of view? Where are you getting the idea that according to Gamespot, things must be "politically correct?" The only accusation that the reviewer makes is that the game is "profoundly misogynistic" and "politically muddled." I won't go into spoilers, but the mission accused of being "politically muddled" was surely designed for this controversy and the dialogue that will inevitably encompass it. Unless you can provide examples outside of GTA V's review, your accusations of hypocrisy have absolutely no basis.

You're right. Just childish. And mindless. Your perspective is what is limiting video game criticism from branching out beyond "the story's ok, the audio is great, the gameplay is fun, you should play it." There is many a conversation waiting to be had about Grand Theft Auto V, and yes, the prevalence of misogyny is one of them. Kudos to Gamespot not only for being brave enough to tackle the issue, but being smart enough to realize it would generate a hell of a lot of clicks. If you can't contribute to the argument beyond the inane, selfish assertion that it shouldn't be had in the first place, consider yourself one of the victims of their advertising strategy.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News Update

An update on the case of the guy who got attacked and robbed of his game - police have arrested 3 teenagers on suspicion of robbery. If they are guilty I hope the series is up to GTA 8 or 9 by the time they see freedom again.

Darth_Invidious and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    So, Michael is pretty much a copy of Tony Soprano? I guess that's never a bad thing.

16. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005
    i did the one side mission for michael lastnight. what a trip ( yes pun intended)

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Apparently in this game, you can get mauled by a Cougar in the wilderness

18. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005

i heard there was a tourture scene in the game........... i dont know how i feel about that because to me thats a bit extreme. i never made it that far but still.

19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I've read there are issues with the installation on the 360, with one source going so far as to suggest that the second play disc should also be installed either on a separate flash drive or even the HDD? Have any of you had any issues in that regard?

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've heard that you should absolutely NOT install the play disc on 360. It is supposedly optimized to play best with one disc installed and one in the drive. I'm playing on PS3 so I can't comment beyond that.

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The source I read suggests that installing the second disc can cause some framerate issues, but nothing beyond that. I'm leaving mine uninstalled for the moment.

22. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005

i installed both on my 360 and it works fine so far zero frame rate issues or bugs

23. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I installed mine on the 360, no issues at all

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It doesn't cause frame rate issues or bugs. It causes low texture quality. Considering it's only in 720p anyway you may not notice.