Amph Grant Morrison is a crazy wizard.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    After Morrison was announced as the new Batman writer, I'm sure most of us got the idea that Batman was definently going to take a turn for the weird. Grant Morrison is a great writer, but he is also completely ******* nuts. Which explains flying Batninjas, cubed shaped alien space ships and mad scientist island in 52, and the entirety of The Invisibles.

But other then above stated Batninjas, nothing really stood out about his first Batman arc as something definitvly Morrisonian. That looks to have changed with soon to be released Batman issue.

Seriously. Doesn't that just scream nuts to you?

And the last trade of Seven Soldiers was just released. Someone please explain to me what the hell happened in Seven Soldiers # 1 because I've read it like 10 times and still have no idea what's going on in it.
  2. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Grant Morrison created the greatest X-Man of all time: Beak

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Newxmen125.jpg]
  3. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    That does look weird...

His last Batman arc with Damian ended horribly, though, so I don't have high hopes.
  4. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    1. It ended the way it did because Morrison changed the ending. Thus leaving it open for a later appearence.

2. This isn't that different. In the 70's, Steve Engelhart did the same thing. You can find it in "The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told". Pretty sure it was Engelhart.
  5. StarscreamPrime Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm in agreement that Morrison's first "Batman" arc left a lot to be desired. This was the writer that I grabbed up JLA and "New X-Men" runs like they were life-giving substances. Here's to hoping that when DC puts out his Joker arc, it turns out to be the masterpiece we deserved in the first place.
  6. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

There's very little by GM that I like. His JLA was great. 52 is great, though in all fairness, he isn't alone in that.

That's about it.

Didn't like We3, didn't like his X-Men, didn't like Seven Soldiers, didn't like his Animal Man, etc.
  7. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Wow, you're one of the few I've ever seen to dislike his Animal Man.
  8. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    And I don't know how it's possible to not like his New X-Men or WE3.

In fact if you don't like WE3 you just might not have a soul.

Raven, what happened to your soul?
  9. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've only read morrison's x men run. I liked it. It took me a while tog et used toit, but it was really cool.
  10. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    Leaving it ope for later appearances is fine but it was rushed and glossed over any and all ramifications. I was very dissapointed as I had really enjoyed that story up until then.
  11. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
  12. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    He's wonderful. I love The Invisibles with a passion. :)
  13. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't know if a lot of you know this, but his run on X-men I would say is pretty well hated. Trust me, I have tried defending it tons of times. I loved it, especially the whole "Planet X" story. But most people I've met hate it, and Marvel must not like it much, because they've retconned Magnetos death and House of M was basically one giant "give Morrison the finger".

But I love his stuff, and I have been awaiting him to live up to his promise to make the Joker terrifying again.
  14. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    There are only four lights.
  15. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I enjoyed Morrison's run on New X-Men quite a bit. I wasn't a fan of the Weapon Plus business . Calling Captain America "Weapon 1" and Wolverine really being "Weapon 10" kinda bugged me. And making Magneto a drug addict seemed very out of character for him. It was all expertly written but it just didn't mesh that well into the established X-Men universe. Most of the problems that have arisen because of Morrison's run are actually caused by the retcon's that tried to return the X-Men to the previous status quo.

The whole Magneto/Xorn/Sublime business is especially annoying. Recently, in New Avengers, Bendis tried to fix it all but only added to the confusion IMO.
  16. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree that most of the problems from his run came afterwards when Marvel decided to stick to the status quo.

And I liked Magneto as a drug addict. I read in an interview with Morrison about his thoughts on it and he sums it up perfectly.

Heres a bit of it

"What people often forget, of course, is that Magneto, unlike the lovely Sir Ian McKellen, is a mad old terrorist ****. No matter how he justifies his stupid, brutal behaviour, or how anyone else tries to justify it, in the end he's just an old bastard with daft, old ideas based on violence and coercion. I really wanted to make that clear at this time."

What's left from his run, Jean being dead?
  17. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    Not even that, they brought Jean back in End Song and had her go away again...

I've also heard a lot of people say that it was inappropriate to have a character, like Magneto, who was a holocaust survivor, become a modern day Hitler. But personally, I found it the exact opposite. I thought it was genius writing.
  18. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    To the best of my knowledge Grant was involved in the most head scratching moment I have ever seen in comics...The Ape-like X-men Beast changing via second mutation into a Cat? :confused:
  19. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Morrison introduced "secondary mutations" which included Beast's changed appearence and Emma Frost's diamond skin. Although IIRC, the actual transformation of Ape-Beast to Cat-Beast happened in X-Treme X-Men when Sage accelerated his mutation (which includes a minor healing factor) after he was almost killed.

I was upset with Cat-Beast at first, but he's definetly grown on me. It wasn't really until Astonishing X-Men that I really began to appreciate him.
  20. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    I loved that part in New X-Men where he was all dressed up in a suit for his date. He looked so dapper.
  21. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    You know, I stopped reading X-Men back when the title was changed to New X-Men. I thought the stories were getting really weird and I never really understood it. Now I know why. I guess that would have been when Morrison was brought on board.
  22. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I like the look. Its definately more interesting and possibly a great reason to drudge up the old despair about how he looks that constantly plague him (they did a little in astonishing). But it just defies the original look that I loved so much.
  23. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok, I just read the latest Batman issue.

Please someone tell me what the hell I just read.
  24. one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Knight

star 3
  25. Darth_Daver Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd never read anything by Morrison 'til New X-Men. That run had it's good points, but on the whole I didn't like it. He just seems to throw a load of wacky ideas at whatever he's working on in the hope some of them will stick. I still don't know why some mutants have secondary mutations. Beast's change was completely pointless as far as I can tell. And the reason no-one realised Xorn was actually Magneto was that he never bothered specifying what Xorn's power actually was. A star for a head was supposed to let him heal people somehow:confused:
    Then his Magneto was a throwback to the character's earliest appearances, but with the loony factor cranked up to maximum so as to make the character almost unrecognisable.
    Also - white hot room? Say what now?

I like 52, but I'm pretty sure that's despite the Morrison parts, not because of.

I flicked through the new Batman. If he wants to write prose then call me old-fashioned, but an issue of Batman isn't the place to do it. And again, it seems like his 'new' Joker is another attempt to reinvent a character who doesn't need reinventing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.