main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Grapevine Mills 30...

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Master_Kloon, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kloon

Master_Kloon Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Just wondering if anyone is lining up at Grapevine Mills 30 thats the place I'm going to line up to see AOTC...anyone?

2. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Nope. There's no way I'd want to see it at an AMC. Bad sound, bad service, picture always breaking.

I'm seeing it at the Galaxy (hoping they get it), or if not, on the DLP screen at the Legacy.

3. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    I'm starting to think that Grapevine Mills 30 may be my choice to see Episode 2, as well. Especially for any extended lines, having the theater attached to the mall and all its resources would certainly come in handy. I remember seeing The Phantom Menace there late in the summer of 1999 while I was here for a visit (before moving here early in 2000), and it seemed to be a nice enough theater. Anybody know of any specific sound/projection problems there (like those that plague the AMC Palace and AMC Sundance in downtown Fort Worth)?

4. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    I don't personally know any specifics, but I've always found the film presentations to be sub-par. AMC uses SDDS, which just sounds muddy and soft to me. There's no clarity, the bass is practically non-existent, and the theaters themselves just kind of strike me as catering to the lowest common denominator (kinda like Blockbuster's DVD policy--pan and scan only if possible).

Plus, like I said, every other time I go to an AMC, the film breaks, the lights keep coming up, etc.

I want to see the film in a THX-certified theater. I don't want to have to worry about whatever twelve year old they have in the projection booth falling asleep or not even showing up. I want bass that shakes my molars and high sounds that are crystal clear. IMO, there is no comparison between the Galaxy and the Legacy versus every other theater in town. Like I said, if the Galaxy gets it, I will be there, and if they don't get it, I'll be there for the DLP at the Legacy.

5. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    How would that work with the actual camping out part? The first time around we had problems, with UA Galaxy, and that was camping on a bare patch of land across the street. I wouldn't think the theater, let alone the mall would be to keen on the idea of several SW geeks loitering about the property. Of course I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice :) If that's where I was going to line up, I'd open up a line of communication with the theater and mall management asap. Let them know what your intentions are. Who ever does that needs to convey to them, they you aren't all a bunch of psycho nerds. Provide them some background info about the group etc. The worst thing they can do is say no. Good luck.

6. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    I agree, Old-Jedi. Some theaters like the publicity that a line creates... some just don't. I was in Nashville for TPM... and we had a great relationship with the Regal Hollywood 27 there. We were actually camped on the sidewalk in front of and beside (and eventually all the way around, and the line swelled to 2,000 by 10PM the night of the premiere) the theater, and two local DJs even had an entire living room (complete with sofa, love seat, tables, lamps, tv, vcr, and even carpet!) set up for us.

If it does look like GM30 will become the site of a possible overnight line, I'll definitely talk with somebody at the mall/theater and see how things would work.

7. Master_Kloon

Dec 10, 2001
    Well...I've been going to GM30 ever since it opened and I've never experianced much of a problem. For TPM opening there was a bunch of things going on, like a radio station was there doing star wars trivia and giving away prizes. In the theater it was great sound quality and everything went on without a hitch, o and there was quite a line camping out before TPM opened there.

8. Katarn15

Katarn15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2001
    I think I will see it at the AMC in downtown Fort Worth. I know it occasionly has problems but its a nice theater and its in downtown Fort Worth which is fairly close. And thats just the first place I'll see it. Sadly though I can't see it opening night because of school. But I will see it that friday so shouldn't be too bad.

9. Master_Kloon

Dec 10, 2001
    up...Im still wondering? anyone gonna be there at 12 AM on the 16th? :D

10. csierra

csierra Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    Myself and about 26 of my friends are going, so you won't be alone. We went this morning and got all of our tickets. Any idea on what time everyone will start getting in line?

csierra.

11. _Red-5_

_Red-5_ Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2002
    I just bought tickets to the midnight show at GM30 because, well, I can. I can't explain this because the other theatres are not selling them. I want to see the midnight at the Legacy, but they are not selling advance tickets. This is a real email that I just got:

Subj: RE: Confirmation Order
    Date: 5/4/2002 1:16:28 AM Central Daylight Time
    To: Jacobison@aol.com ('Jacobison@aol.com')

because we have the rights to

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 2:12 AM
    To: customerservice@movietickets.com
    Subject: Re: Confirmation Order

How come you all can do this when Cinemark says that Lucas has not allowed advanced ticket sales yet?

12. _Red-5_

_Red-5_ Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2002
    I just bought tickets to the midnight show at GM30 because, well, I can. I can't explain this because the other theatres are not selling them. I want to see the midnight at the Legacy, but they are not selling advance tickets. This is a real email that I just got:

OK, this email conversation just happened:

13. csierra

csierra Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    So what time is everyone going to this theater going to start getting in line??

Chris S.

14. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    Im going to this theater! Woo hoo! Ill be there around 6 i think... I just want to socialize with all the other people, I dont really care about getting a good seat.

15. DARTHKOOL

DARTHKOOL Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    If you don't go to CINEMARK LEGACY for the DLP Showing, you'll just be paying for a High priced DVD, but all you're getting in return is a VHS tape.

Do yourself a favor and go see the DLP.

It was MAGNIFICENT...!!

You'll thank me later.

16. csierra

csierra Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    Going tomorrow at 1:00!! I can't wait. I loved the crowd at GM30, but I can't wait to see it with DLP.
    CSierra

17. csierra

csierra Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    I must say that the image quality with DLP is very nice. There was some pixelation in one scene but other than that the image was absolutely incredible. This was also my 1st time out to the Legacy theater and I must say it is really nice. If anyone is going to be camping at this theater in 2005 I am there!
    CSierra

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.