main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Graphics cards, animation and editing software.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by BobaFrank, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I already have a thread on advice for buying a miniDV camera and was wanting advice on editing and animation software along with a graphics card.

I have an Athlon AMD computer with a 2.2gig processor, 1gig of RAM, and 2 40gig hard drives. I'm going to increase my RAM another gig, and add another hard drive (120gig) specifically for downloading footage and rendering.

I'll be buying a low-end miniDV camera like a Canon ZR60 or 65. And I'm pretty sure I'll be buying Premiere for my editing software.

What's the best combo as far as animation software and a graphics card? I'll be using it for shortfilms plus my SW Fanfilm. I'm a novice when it comes to animation so I don't think I want to get into anything high-end at the moment but I don't want junk either.

Anyway I'd appreciate any help. :)

2. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Any good animation software will work well with all major video cards. The best cards for that type of thing is actually higher end cards, but they're in the $4-500 range. Something like the Quadro FX is what you want, but I doubt you are looking to spend that much :) So I'd recommend the ATI 9600XT, good price for some very nice power. $200

3. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    I'm running a dual celeron (1.8's) for my editing machine all I use a 9700pro. Works pretty great for me.

--Jamball

4. SuprSpy79

SuprSpy79 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2003
    im running a 2.6ghz P4 800mhz fsb with Hyper Threading and a 9800 pro. I cant complain it runs like a dream.

5. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I've got a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 512 MB of RAM (which I'm going to up to 1 GB soon). I've got a Radeon 9600 Pro and Sound Blaster Audigy Gamers Edition (which is what my firewire is in). And it all works great.

6. SkywalkerG

SkywalkerG Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    If your looking for best bang for the buck video card... check the GeForceFX 5900SE.

7. spoil_me_w-ep3

spoil_me_w-ep3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2003
    how in the crap do you have dual celerons??

8. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    I bought one celeron. Then I bought another. With a supermicro motherboard they fit together very nicely. I don't have anything to really compare it to, but I think it's pretty fast.

Does any know of any good benchmark sites and/or software? I know of 3d mark but those benchmarks are hard to understand for me for some reason. I'm not sure how the do theirs.

thanks,

--Jamball

9. JaredE

JaredE Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2003

Software: Maya
    Card: Ati Fire GL 256
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Ouch

10. marzk_zelan

marzk_zelan Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2004
    About the editing software, I got adobe premier, photoshop and soon after effects all for free.. :) :p

11. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    ...and how did you get all those for free? *accusing stare*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.