main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Great 1980 John Williams "Making of Star Wars Music" documentary

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by waheennay, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
  2. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    I like JW's reaction to seeing Han say "I know" to Leia before being put into carbonite!

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    "With a budget of 18 million dollars and rising..."

JW: "Star Wars 2: The Empire Strikes Back"

Ah, the good old days...

EDIT: Why are things like THIS left off DVDs while we get crap like Empire of Dreams?

4. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    1. A DVD-quality version of this might not exist, and it'd be pretty subpar to include on a DVD

2. Empire of Dreams was pretty fantastic

5. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Never seen that documentary before. I loved it. I didn't notice, but did they say who the lady was that was singing opera while John Williams played the piano?

6. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Come again?

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Great stuff. I had never before thought about all the work that went into score composition, or the more technical aspects of it. If only they'd make more documentaries like this...

8. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    Does anybody else think the theme JW wrote for "Jane Eyre" sounds awfully familiar?[face_love]

9. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I mean subpar in terms of picture quality. The only version I've seen looks like it was recorded on a VHS in the 80s, which is...probably what it was. My point is that footage gets lost and a high-quality copy might not be around anymore.

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Whereabouts is that?

11. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    They could quite easily clear it right up to DVD standards with computers.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I call BS on that one, BlackTiger. They had extreme difficulties with the negatives for frigging ANH after just 20 years, which was presumably carefully stored. There's no such guarantees for extras like that that probably nobody in the early 1980s thought actually had a chance of seeing the light of day.

13. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    No, I doubt they'd bother, seeing that it's just a rare documentary rather than a big budget movie. I don't know how expensive it'd be with 2009 computers, but I suspect the expense would be prohibitive. However, it could still easily be done if they wanted to invest in restoring a small piece of movie history, especially seeing that it doesn't seem to be in that bad a condition.

14. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It's only a documentary. Why does the picture quality need to be cleaned up to match the standard of the film proper? I thought Empire of Dreams featured some rough, black and white audition footage, anyway. I think it's being withheld because Lucasfilm just doesn't like old documentaries. Everything has to be new, flashy and - of course - selective in what it tells.

15. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, as far as I could tell only the beginning was mashed up and needed sorting out. And yes, Lucas does only like the flash presentations and telling "selective" history of the making of Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.