main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Great Credit Sequences: "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just recently rewatched Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte and was really knocked out by the opening titles.

They come fourteen minutes into the movie, after the opening prologue in 1927. The entire credits sequence, about two minutes in length, plays with Bette Davis' face in closeup on the right edge of the screen, the credits slowly flashing up in white on the completely black left side of the screen.

It's a quiet and understated bit of acting from Davis, looking into the darkness for her murdered lover, and a quiet and understated two minutes in a film in which nothing else is at all quiet or understated.

Reallly great.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    A lot of people expected camp from that movie, since it was the successor (if not sequel) to "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" Perhaps because Joan Crawford withdrew and they replaced her with Olivia de Havilland (with whom Davis got on quite well), Davis tried acting, and the movie is unexpectedly moving at the end. I think it was Kenneth Tynan (?) who described her as a 'wasted Duse' in this film. Mary Astor has a small role, too.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I agree. I was surprised, watching it again for the first time in years to find that I think I prefer it to Baby Jane. It's certainly the more artistically satisfying. Plus, it has an actual ending, unlike Baby Jane which just sort of peters out.

Davis is pretty unnerving in the film, but you're right that she has some sort of real character at the heart of her performance. In the ending scene, you really do feel that she has reclaimed her dignity and prison or hospital or wherever they're taking her, you feel that she's found peace at last and she'll be alright. And, yes, that is oddly moving; you feel real affection for her in that scene and hope she's going to be okay.

De Havilland, I really liked as well, mainly because the film has her play a perverse riff on Melanie Wilkes. She's utterly sweet and good and kind and loving and a little corny, such a saint she is; except, oops, she's actually a vindictive, cruel and malicious person pretending to be all those things.

Atmosphere the film has; southern gothic with all the wheels clicking: sex, lust, madness, murder, shame. And, yeah, Mary Astor was really good too; she just has something like two scenes, but she's great.

It's also been years since I saw Baby Jane, so perhaps after rewatching it, I might think I like it better, which is what happened the first time, I saw these two movies. But right now, I definitely feel like Sweet Charlotte is actually the superior film, even if its not nearly as famous or as iconic.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I much prefer this film, though "Baby Jane" has its moments.

DeHavilland didn't play nasty very often, unfortunately. She's memorable when she did.

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Two of my favorite movies. I saw them both when I was about twelve years old, and they shook me to the core. :p Even now, I still enjoy them as pieces of art, and simply very enjoyable films.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The perfect start to an awesome movie. Though it did come out within close proximity to an SNL Digital Short that I couldn't help but be reminded of by it (albeit the short didn't have such a great musical track).

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The credits integrate nicely with the survival rules. I can't think of another movie that does anything exactly like that, and it adds a lot to the whole film.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The credits or the survival rules? Because Watchmen has similar credits 7 or 8 months before Zombieland was released.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    No the integrating of the credits style with the survival rules. 3D text that interacts with the environment.

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Gotcha. I remember Panic Room had some interesting 3D credits that floated among the skyscrapers of New York but it didn't do any interacting beyond casting shadows.

12. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    City Slickers (1991)

I remember this one as being an homage to the Pink Panther title sequences with the sight gags. In this case it's the cow vs the Cowboy.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's a great sequence that perfectly evokes the pulp noir style that the film is both mocking and paying homage to. John Ottman's score is really perfect and totally sells this sequence, IMHO. This is one of the greatest comedies of all time.

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  16. Celeste_Morne

Celeste_Morne Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2008
    Some of the best opening titles in the entire gorram history of moviemaking.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    And the fact that it's all one shot (except for a splice as Mal and Simon are entering a hatch) makes it even more impressive. I love how it ends with a close-up of River lying on the walkway as Joss' director credit comes up. This movie should have made a billion dollars and they should still be making sequels right now this very instant!

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It didn't make as much as the ordinary slasher movie. I just could not understand it.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    The ordinary slasher movie is better-promoted.

20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah, I only knew about it because the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema showed some of the interviews from the Firefly DVD in front of, oh I think it was Dukes of Hazard. The Firefly cast charmed me, though I had never seen the show, and I decided to see the movie when it came out a couple of weeks later. Instant love affair. [face_love]

But yes, I never saw any TV ads for the film, or heard anything about it except for those interviews, prior to the movie's release.

21. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I love the credit sequence for Serenity. It establishes the main characters and gives you a summary of their personalities in one shot through the ship in about 100 seconds. Very well done.

22. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  23. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That sequence was stunning and really sticks with you after the film. Pretty much permanently associates that song (original or cover) with those images for me.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I've seen a lot of people complaining about the credit sequence, but I thought it was pretty good. Strange and arresting.