main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Great moments of humor, intentional or not, in The Beginning documentary

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Obi-Wan2001, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Yeah, George was really happy with Natalie. "Natalie is fantastic!" And Natalie seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the whole thing like when she says, "Hi Rick" during the table reading and everybody laughed. And her whiny, "I'll see everybody tomorrow" that George gets a a big kick out of. She seemed into it for a time. So what happened since? :(

When Ewan's getting his hair cut and Katie Lucas says something like, "What if my dad decides he wants long hair?" And Ewan says, "Than he can wear the wig...and play the part."

Little did Ewan know that wigs would come to haunt him and Star Wars fans alike, soon after. :eek:

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Nothing happened to her since. The reports that her acting wasn't very good were flat out wrong.

3. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Yes, yes, to the Go-Mer one you listen.

4. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I love the bit when Ewan looks at the lightsabers and says "you B&st&rd" that?s funny I also like the end of it when they show the Gungan beating the crap out of the Droid and all the other stuff it's great.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I also like when George comments that he thinks Jar-Jar's a funnier character than they've ever had in the movies and that the fans are going to love him [face_laugh]

I like the part when Ewan's lightsabre gets all bent because of him hacking away at Ray like a madman. Then Nick is like "They don't make lightsabres like they used to."

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    "Than he can wear the wig...and play the part."

Yeah, Ewan is a funny guy. I liked his casual attitude when somebody asked him, "Who are you playing?" and he says, "Young Obi-Wan I think...I hope."

Also, Portman sounded like she was drugged when she said, "I'll see you all tomorrow." Why was that so funny to Lucas?

I sense an unusual amount of praise for something as trivial as a Natalie Portman performance.

7. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    It wasn't just gL, it made me laugh to.

"Yeah, Ewan is a funny guy. I liked his casual attitude when somebody asked him, "Who are you playing?" and he says, "Young Obi-Wan I think...I hope."

Yeah Ewan has got a great sense of humor

"Nothing happened to her since. The reports that her acting wasn't very good were flat out wrong."

What reports? Who needs no stinkin' report? We can just watch the movie and see for ourselves that its not good. Even NP said her TPM acting was bad, I wonder what she thought of AOTC?

8. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    I like the part where they are in the screening room and JK is trying to explain that the podrace shots will look better in the movie, and Lucas is like"they look great" and JK is like "we'll we're going to fix them up cause they can be better". And then he says "people aren't realy going to pay attention to the backgrounds anyways."

and lucas replies that nobody will be watching the pods, or enjoying the FX, they'll be listening to the music

9. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I love seeing someone near a miniture. It just seems so strange watching someone clean the main city of Naboo with a brush.

Plus it make me smile when I see McGregors' eyes like up in the featurettes when he describes getting his lightsabre. It's like watching the six year old in him jump out.

Hearing Portmans' real voice as she's wearing the Queens makeup.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    No really Rebel Scumb watch it again, Natalie Portman has been phenomenal so far.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This is not a thread to debate any acting performances in TPM. Go-Mer, Rebel Scumb, take it elsewhere.

12. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I also like when George comments that he thinks Jar-Jar's a funnier character than they've ever had in the movies and that the fans are going to love him

I recall him saying Jar Jar was a funnier character than they'd ever had in the movies, but I don't recall him saying "the fans are going to love him."

13. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    The fact that Kitster is in attendance at the table reading and seated next to McCallum is hilarious in itself. But you also get McCallum explaining to him, "This is about Darth Vader when he's a young boy. This is when he's a good boy. And then what happens to him? He joins the film business."

14. bburditt

bburditt Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 8, 2004
    I like at the end when Frank Oz is watching the screen of Watto and he says "For God's sakes you don't need me"... then George says "We'll always need you Frank"

Then I watch Episode II and laugh.

strilo edit: This post is ... rather trollish and off topic. This thread is not about AOTC.

15. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    They still need Frank for the voice.

16. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I like at the end when Frank Oz is watching the screen of Watto and he says "For God's sakes you don't need me"... then George says "We'll always need you Frank"

Then I watch Episode II and laugh.

Why? Lucas personally invited Frank to supervise the animation of CGI Yoda, so that they could get Yoda's mannerisms right. Also, part of the reason Yoda was entirely CGI in AOTC was because Frank was unavailable to work the puppet and Lucas refused to have anyone else do so.

Sounds to me like Lucas still recognized that they needed Frank. Similarly, he brought back Kenny Baker to play R2-D2 because, though they could operate R2-D2 remotely, the droids still needed a human element.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    This thread is NOT about Yoda. Please keep it on topic. Thank you.

18. Ed-25-UK

Ed-25-UK Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2003
    I actually find the whole thing to be a bit funny, because it shows the amount of skilled work that went into making a film that for some reason many people hate!!!

19. bburditt

bburditt Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 8, 2004
    They still need Frank for the voice.

Yeah but that isn't what George was referring to, he was referring to his puppeteer work. Considering Frank was looking at a screen with a CG character.

Strilo it wasn't my intent to start a Yoda conversation and it definately wasn't my intent to talk about AotC, I was just answering the question of what I find funny in the documentary, and the Aotc reference was why I find it funny.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yet you continue to derail this thread after a moderator warning. Bad idea.

21. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Lucas: That's the trouble with these things. Sometimes you can over do it. I did More American Graffiti and it made 5 cents.
    Frank Oz: (Look of shock)
    Lucas: True story.

I like the one effects guy's expression when Lucas is highlighting everything that will be a visual effect. He looks over at his partner with a fearful expression that seems to say, "Holy crap! Does he really think we can do this?"

Rick on the phone with Ewan doing his best "stereotypical Hollywood producer" schtick.

Ewan McGregor: "'Do you want to be in a Star Wars movie?' they ask. **** yeah!" (or words to that effect)

22. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    "I like the one effects guy's expression when Lucas is highlighting everything that will be a visual effect. He looks over at his partner with a fearful expression that seems to say, 'Holy crap! Does he really think we can do this?'"

Yeah, the "Bald Dude". The most nervous looking human I've ever seen. Any time he's on camera the guy appears to be on the verge of having an episode of his own.

Bald Dude Episode I: The Phantom Highlighters

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Someone mentioned the line where Rick says Vader went bad because he joined the film business [face_laugh] YES! I can't believe I forgot that one, it cracks me up every time.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Darth_Malt

Darth_Malt Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I can't get over when they ask Jake how much he thinks the movie is going to cost and he says "Fifty Thousand?"

That gets me every time.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.