main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Great Passion!!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Rebel_Padawan, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000
    If you can't respect other people's beliefs, say nothing.

Why?

Everyone speaks of freedom and the right to freedom of speech - as long as you don't say anything I don't like or don't want to hear.

Doesn't the right to freedom of speech also cover the right to openly disrespect someone's faith? Or is freedom of speech only contingent on expressing popular or acceptable views?

Isn't sincere disrespect more honest than insincere respect?

(Ok, I don't necessarily endorse this view, but from a purely rational, objective POV, it's a reasonable argument).

2. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    I agree, I just find it pointless arguing about religion.

As an Atheist I don't think I've got much chance of changing the mind of someone who has been raised a particular faith (just as they have no chance changing my mind).

3. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    There is no freedom of speach right on these message boards. You waived that right when you signed up and agreed to the TOS.

Actually I don't even think freedom of speach is a right in Australia or else there'd be no racial vilification laws.

4. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    There are no laws directly related to Freedom of Speech in this country unfortunately and yes you definitely can't say what you like here.

Censorship sucks in this country.

5. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I wasn't really referring to these boards so much as society in general. And I wasn't suggesting that we have a legal entitlement to freedom of speech so much as everyone believes we have a de facto right to freedom of speech - except when someone expresses a contrary view, which apparently nullifies their de facto right to freedom of speech.

Sorry about the confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.