main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Great Webhost i found

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AWB1989, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Click here. From the details this is great hosting, I mean, 50 Gigs transfer 9 Gigs webspace $6.95 or $7.95 per month with a $50 setup fee. Seems great to me. I posted this for two reasons:

1. Other people may want to see it.

2. I want to know if there is anything wrong with it from the people who know lots about webhosting because if it is good then I will use it for my website.

2. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    sounds too good to be true, but hey i;m curious

3. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    Yes, I hope it is true, the one thing I hate about most hosts that are like $10 monthly is that they only give you like 200 MB storage space but they give you like 4000 email accounts and 5 or less email accounts will probably be used when I make my site.

4. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    watch your bandwidth be like 2 kbits/sec. haha.

5. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Your probably got low bandwith.

6. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    I also found another great page, but a bit more expensive. Click here. Well, I emailed them with this message:

I see that it is Unix web hosting. Is that compatible with Windows XP? And also how much bandwidth does the Premium plan get?

Thanks,
    Aaron

and they responded:

Hello Aaron,

> I see that it is Unix web hosting. Is that compatible with Windows XP?

Yes it is completely compatible with windows XP.

> also how much bandwidth does the Premium plan get?

Featureprice's customers are privileged to be offered an unmonitored account
    in terms of bandwidth. This means Featureprice does not pro-actively monitor
    bandwidth usage of our customers. Customers are entitiled to use as much
    bandwidth as necessary as long as they (a) do not harm other customers
    located on the same machine or on other machines of Featureprice's network
    and (b) do comply with all other terms & conditions (Please see
    http://www2.featureprice.com/?c=14&p=8).

Please note that this does NOT mean that you get unlimited bandwidth - there
    is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. What we have is a FAIR USE policy,
    and as long as you do not exhausively abuse the bandwidth resources, there
    will not be any problems. As mentioned, for more information please refer to
    our terms of service. Thank you.

Well, I was wondering if anybody thought that featureprice webhosting is good or not.

Thanks,
    Aaron

7. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Why would a fan film page require 5 gigs of storage space and 4 domain names? I know very little about web design but I am surprised one would need this kind of storage space

8. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    It doesn't but if you host a bunch of fanfilms, and a few horror movies/action movies and tons of FX tests and trailers and everything, it takes up a lot of space. I never said my site would be completely devoted to my star wars fanfilms, but I've just got this feeling that there's something wrong with them, so right now, I want this webhost. I think they look the best out of what I've seen so far. If I get this webhost I could host my star wars fanfilms here. Since me and one of my friends are really the main people in this film, we'll each pay for half of it. And me and one of my other friends are the main people for my horror movies so we can get another account with these people. And when I get cable I could host my FX tests and stuff on my free server that's hosted from my computer.

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    You can always use sites that list and compare sites. Yahoo lists a lot of them:

Web Hosting Directories

I personally used hostsearch.com to find my current hosting company. You can compare prices, features, etc. I even checked with the Better Business Bureau to make sure they were OK.

As far as compatibility with Unix and XP well it's yes and no. But to make things easier just save your documnts in Unix format. I use Dreamweaver and Textpad on Win2000 but set to save to Unix by default and then upload.

As far as space it depends. I mean he might besides host the film use the extra space to pout storyboards, WIPs, share resources (models, etc.).

Best of all he also gets MySQL and PHP use, and there is tons of free scripts to make managing websites even easier, like portals, web galleries, etc. Heck it looks even better than the deal I got. From a quick look, it seems they are OK.

10. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    Yeah, the site I found that lists top 10 webhost providers (in their opinions) is here.

11. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Useful info. :)

Pete

12. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

Just talked to FeaturePrice.com and they said they allow 15gb per month bandwidth for all of their plans. Sounds like a pretty good deal. And 5gb of storage? I may be switching hosts. :)

Thanks for letting me know about them!

13. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    No problem.

Aaron

14. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    The BEST host EVER in the world that I've seen is www.hostonce.com, they offer UNLIMITED bandwidth and space (yes I really mean that, and it even says it specifically on their site) and there are no forced advertisements and you get a free domain name for only $4.95 a month. Now c'mon, I think everyone could scratch together five bucks every month. There site might be down right now, but it could just be IE not loading. It sounds almost too good to be true. I would sign-up myself, but I have a contract with another host already so I have to wait another year for it to run out.

15. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    I've heard that hostonce is horrible, but otherwise, I would get that and I don't believe in unlimited stuff. I'll bet they wouldn't let me upload every TFN hosted fanfilm if I tried, I mean I wouldn't do that, but I don't know what the limits are. Truthfully, there's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth.

16. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    That is not true about hostonce...

I released my movie, everyone got about .009k a second, and I got booted from hostonce the next day.

It was a HORRIBLE experience...

Don't go with them... ever.

Cya
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.