main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Great_One's Gallery - Updated on 11.14.05 - "Orange is the New Pink"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Great_One, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labpizza

labpizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Padme ? the form of her face is so wonderfully done!! Though my only crit on this would be to add more contrasting into the shading? she?ll be complete.

Vader ? *Gasp** Oh my god! You drew vaders helmet so well!! I bow down to your great ness!! His helmet is so hard to draw!!

Leia portrait ? Argh! it?s really good! I must that that you have a real eye from realism!

Jaina Solo ? Again! I love your realism!! I can see that you?ve started colouring it!! geez I cant wait to see it finished? you must keep that picture updated.. do it for me! =/

Amidala - Parade Gown 2 *caution - it's bright * -so pretty! I think the colour (or the way you scanned it) added a whole new feeling to it!! the texture in it is so pretty! I already said that, but I thank you for showing this pic!! I love this one most so far! XD

Happier in a Flightsuit - Colored in Painter. ? I?m real sorry if I sound rude by saying this, but I?ll admit to seening some improvement in your painter works from this one to your first posted ones in this post!!

Sorry that my crappy comments cant express how wicked your work it :{

2. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Well it sounds like you had a nice vacation, FalconFan, and it's nice to see you back! I'm glad that you stopped by my thread again and like what I've been up to. And trust me, the improvement isn't a fluke - for every piece I post there are a few crumpled up pages in the trash bin, lol.
    And it's always nice to see you in here, HanSolo29. On the Amidala one do you mean the colored pencil or painter version? I'm curious to see where my strong points are and where I can improve. And it's nice to see someone who wants me to pair up Jaina/Jag! I put a poll on another site I belong to and the majority right now are saying Zekk... lol. I'm reading The Unifying Force right now and I stumbled upon the line "Do I get to fly my X-Wing now?" right after posting the last one of Jaina, lol.
    Hi Wick! lol, I agree about the pink! I was actually going for more of a clone wars style with 'flight suit', really. I can't deny that Disney animation has always been an inspirtation for me, though. And ironically, Belle is my favorite Disney character, lol. :) And as for the second parade Amidala one, all I did there was scan it and then play around with the colors in HP Image Zone. I raised the temperature of the colors and then increased the color saturation and that was the end result. I'd done that with a few Tomb Raider images a while back, as well.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/younglara.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/aod.jpg
    They didn't come out near as well though and were from a january or so.
    labpizza- Thanks for the comments and criticism. It's always good to have a nice mix of both :) And as far as Vader goes...That was the first time I successfully drew the helmet, lol. I guess you just have to draw it quick.

And to everyone: Thank you!!

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    On the Amidala one do you mean the colored pencil or painter version? I'm curious to see where my strong points are and where I can improve.

Oh, sorry. I thought I pointed that out - my bad. :p

I was referring to your colored pencil version. You've managed to capture more tones and have more varying line weights than the painter version. Overall, it looks more complete. I would perhaps take it a step further and try to get a richer tone out of colored pencils(don't be afraid to go too dark) and maybe experiment with shading just a tiny bit more. :)

And it's nice to see someone who wants me to pair up Jaina/Jag! I put a poll on another site I belong to and the majority right now are saying Zekk... lol.

Yup, I've always been a Jaina/Jag person. He just seems like the right guy for her. Don't get me wrong, Zekk is good too, but he never seems to be around when she needs someone. ;)

4. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    You know, I just noticed your signature, HS29, and I can't believe you've got a line from the figment ride! lol. That and star tours were my favorites when I first went to disney (now I go all the time - I live an 1 1/2 hours away with my parents, 45 minutes with friends, lol).

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    You know, I just noticed your signature, HS29, and I can't believe you've got a line from the figment ride! lol. That and star tours were my favorites when I first went to disney (now I go all the time - I live an 1 1/2 hours away with my parents, 45 minutes with friends, lol).

Ah, yes...aside from Star Wars, I'm also a huge Disney fan. Journey Into Imagination was one of my favorite rides down at Disney before they changed it. Oh well, I like the new one too. And you're really lucky to live that close to the World. I wish I was that close. :p

Ah, well...we're leaving for Disney in 2 weeks, so I can't complain. :D

6. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Great_One, it's good to see a new post from you--been busy-busy, have you? :D

We all love to look at the "fast stuff," things that are sketched on-the-fly (and doing them at work at the supermarket, in the express line, no less, certainly qualifies as "on-the-fly!")! These look great on the whole--I agree with your co-worker that Vader looks a bit "compressed" in the torso, but that aside, you did a wonderful job with the shiney helmet surface (and I feel your pain with that--I did Vader once, and that was enough for me! lol!) and a commanding pose. Dumbledore looks wonderful, with the costume detailing--and I loved "Pirates of the Carribean," so how could I not claim Jack Sparrow as my fav of these? ;) I'm impressed you can manage to sketch at work--that's dedication!

FF

8. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    I always love seeing stuff like this! :D Shows a true artist I believe...even with a tiny scrap of docket you can make art! You should see the margins of my uni books! LOL :D I was always doing more drawing in Maths than in art! It's not my fault logarithms are stupid!

Oh and I loved the caption for your Vader one! LOL I giggled for a while with that one! Great art though even if a tad short. Kudos to use of biro!

9. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    Almost all the artwork of yours I sampled I found to be terrific. I really forsee you going places with that talent. I'll keep checking in. I especially liked the one of Jaina Solo, very realistic. Best of luck in the future.

And may the Force be with you.[face_peace]

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...quick sketches! These are definitely things I like to see and I have to agree with C_R that this is a sign of a true artist. I do this a lot myself - the margins of my notes are always full of little doodles and scribbles. I'm not really a Harry Potter fan, but I believe your Dumbledore sketch came out the best. I love the expression on his face. And of course, Captain Jack Sparrow - who couldn't love him? :D

11. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Jag's Experiment - Ylesia
    Ok, just something I did last night - it's an illustration from Ylesia, which I've been reading (As it's in the back of The Joiner King..) I'll be back in a bit to thank the usual suspects ;)

12. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    FalconFan - Far too busy! It seems I don't have quite enough time for anything anymore, but I try to squeeze in room for the important stuff. I really do try to draw a lot at work, as it keeps me balanced. I'm not bored, but I'm not too immersed in something as to keep me from doing my job properly. Ugh, and Vader... horrid! I hate drawing that blasted helmet! lol. Not to mention that it's always tough to do highlights in pen like that. I'd meant for it to turn out different, but accidently colored in too much and couldn't erase it...

Corellian_Rogue - I start college in a little under a month, and I have a feeling that no one will buy my books when I try to sell them, as they'll be too doodled in, lol! I'm not much of an intellectual, and I loathe math, so I can definately relate. I actually had a Star Wars related question on my SATS that I took back in May, and in May, my mind was focused on nothing but Star Wars. lol. The question started out with Leia's holograph quote and asked what the meaning of bringing up holograms in the passage was and I got kind of lost after the Leia quote, so I dropped what I was doing and sketched out a quick Leia with outstreched hands saying "Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope,". No wonder I only scored a 950 on them... lol.

benkenobi151 - Hi! Thanks for dropping in! Always nice to see someone new post here and thanks for the kind words!

HanSolo29 - Yes, more quick sketches! I'm glad you stopped by to check them out and thanks for posting :)

To all: Wow, me? A-an artist? Shut up! Ok, enough Princess Diaries-esque quotes... lol. Thank you. It really brightens my day to see that such talented people have faith in me. I'm not sure that I'm considering a career in art (I'm not the kind of girl to follow in her mother's footsteps...), but it is something that I enjoy and I'm glad that I get to share it with people that enjoy my final creations. So again, thanks everybody, and as long as you all want to keep seeing my stuff, I'll keep posting it :)

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Poor Jag!!! I loved that scene in the story!! He really should have known better, though: he knew Jaina was an accomplished Jedi as well as a well-trained warrior--what else could he expect but to get clocked? [face_laugh] A very nice drawing, Great_One--I like the perspective here, looking over Jaina's shoulder, as though we're her brother (I really like her fingers, tucked into her elbow--I can almost see them twitching in annoyance!)--and Jag's pained expression goes perfectly with his wound, as well as his "wounded" ego, lol! A great picture!

FF

14. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Haha, thanks FalconFan! I read that bit and I couldn't stop laughing. My mom just gave me a weird look from where she was sitting and I merely replied "She just threw him across the room!" ... she continued with the weird glare and went back to whatever it was that she was watching. As far as the perspective goes, I actually had no intention of doing it as Jacen's POV but it kind of works, huh? I hadn't thought about that... lol. Poor Jag. I am actually quite fond of him, so I felt bad for him at this point. I think he really did get fleshed out a little more in Ylesia (Kind of funny, because the #1 complaint about this piece is that he looks a little bit too 2D). I liked the Sabaacc scene too and glad to see that Jaina can beat him up without the Force, too. :) Maybe that'll be on the to do list...

And for now, here's some more Jaina art. I'm really not digging the Dark Nest trilogy too much. I think Troy Denning has a vendetta against the Solo kids and it's good writing, it's just not what I want to see happening so I'm writing a post DN fic. Kind of weird, seeing as I don't know how it's going to end yet, but I'm giving it a shot:

Jaina Portrait 1
    Jaina Portrait 2 - Colors inverted

15. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/Dolls/amidala.gif]
    ^Something I did a few months back. I just stumbled across it while cleaning up my picture folders on my comp. I've noticed that there aren't a lot of original designs for Amidala gowns, and I just happend to come across something Victorian that day and thought, hm, perhaps a Victorian-esque Amidala costume? And it worked... Sort of. I messed up on the sides. They really should have more 3-d folds in them instead of just going straight down. Edit: I even tried to incorporate her symbol in the little pins holding up the top layer of the skirt and if you look close you can see that it's also in the center section of the bodice, but in more of an abstract form. :)

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey, Great_One, it's good to see some new things up! I've actually dropped in a couple of times but ran short of time (DRL, you know...) and didn't have time to leave a comment.

On the Jaina portrait--lovely shading here, very nice shaping of her face. The only thing I would suggest is that you study the general shape of faces and placement of features a bit more: her eyes (which are wonderfully deep and expressive, by the way) seem a bit too far apart. I think if you really study feature placement on the face and apply that to your work, it'll yield some impressive results for you. There are some excellent references here, under "Andrew Loomis Anatomy Books:" look for "Drawing Heads and Hands." There are some guides there for helping to place features on a face, from babies to children to adults, men and women. It's a wonderful (and free!) place to find some great gouges (I've burrowed through there plenty of times myself!) to learn and use. I really like how you've "cut" her hair in your portrait, too--more of a mature, less girlish look. I just got DN1 today--we'll see if I get "inspired" as well!

Your "Victorian Padme:" Loving the dress (though, if you could make the image a bit bigger, it would help in admiring the details--it's a bit small right now)!! The color and cut are very "Padme," and I like the way you detailed the bodice and joining of the skirt to the bodice. Lovely!

FF

17. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I think it's so awesome to see little doodles in the margins of books, on napkins, or on receipts like this. There's just something so spontaneous and fun about them.

I appreciate you taking the time to transcribe that scene from the books that you illustrated for us deprived people that don't read them. It really helps the context of what's going on in the image. Even though you can only see her from the back, she definitely looks annoyed! The crossed arms was a great choice.

Your portrait of Jaina Solo is well-done for a sketch. Very nice shading. My only suggestion would be on the lips; outlining them in pencil makes them seem as if they're floating above the face. The shading on them looks great, and just having that without the outline would suffice to describe their form.

Nice work, Great_One!

18. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks for the tips, FalconFan! I think if I'd taken a little more time on that one it would've come out a little better (I only took about 45 minutes on it the other night). That and I'm not fond of drawing tilted heads, but that's how it came out after I started. Also, thanks for the compliments on the Amidala doll - I wish I could make her bigger, but I'm afraid it might distort her too much :\ And I'll be sure to check out those references - they definately can't hurt :) And good luck on DN1. I keep reading a little here and there and putting it down if there's something I don't like. lol. Troy Denning is a great writer, but I swear he hates Jaina. lol.
    Ah, and here's something I started the other night and decided today to finish:
    Anakin Portrait - Re-Draw

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, very much liking that new Anakin piece! It's a wonderful likeness--you really nailed the sort of unique shape of his nose, which has plagued me in every drawing I've ever tried of him! And great coloring and "depth" to his "Sith eye," too--and the addition of the little streaks of "bloodshot" add to the "Sithly-ness!" The Dark Side does take its toll, after all... You have the same tendency as I do, I think, my Dear: to "go light" with the pencils! Your Anakin would really "pop" if you really darkened up some aspects of the shading--inside the hood, beneath the eyebrow, on the "hood side" of the nose. I really like this one, though--beautiful likeness and proportions!

FF

20. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks, Wick! I don't mind writing excerpts down - I know how I feel when I see an illustration and I've got no clue what it's about! lol. And now that I know I'm not the only one that sees stuff wrong with the Jaina portrait, I might do a redraw. To be honest, I know I rushed it and could've made it a lot better. :)

And now, here's another new one. This is just a WIP, however, and it'll be done... eventually. lol. I had to start over about 3 or 4 times because I couldn't get the poses right.
    Force Heretic III Illustration - Jacen and Ferroan girl - WIP

21. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks again, FF (Mind if I call you Deb?) I hate Hayden's nose! Ugh! lol. I couldn't even come close to getting it right in the last one I did of him. I took my sketch book to work with me yesterday and brought along other "tools of the trade" and worked on darkening it up some and I'll scan that later on today.

As for my NJO "promo series", that just got underway last night with the first rough drafts of Luke, Mara, Jacen, and Danni. :)

22. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  23. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Nice work! I like the style of your drawings and you seem to have a great ability for cloth and hair. :) I love the way it drapes and folds in your drawings. Very nicely done. :D

Keep it up!

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Yay! Another update! And sure--call me Deb! ;) (Falcon just sounds a lot cooler! ;) )

I really think you're improving rapidly with these latest drawings, Great_One--the body proportions and faces are getting better with each effort. I'm very much liking your full-body studies of Mara, Jaina (en flightsuit) and Tahiri--their poses seem to be getting "easier," looking more natural. I've noticed in your DA comments that you're still working on arms and hands--join the club, Dear! lol! I have a terrible time with both (of course, I'm not working at it as diligently as you appear to be, either!)! The body proportions, though (of arms, legs, torso lengths) look pretty much right on the money--good work! I can't wait to see "Solo Family Portrait" all done--I've always loved the idea of doing something like that, and you beat me to it! Your depiction of Chewbacca is just wonderful--and Wookiees are hard to draw!! I also like that little "scene" of Jacen and the little Ferroan girl--that was such a warm moment in the book (and I just re-read FH III too!). And the Sonic cup drawing--how do you do that?! I can barely get something down sitting in a comfortable chair with all my pencils and erasers and paper and references piled around me! I really admire people who can "whip stuff out" like that (you, wick, Ty, Corellian_Rogue, gatodama....:_| I'm sooooo slow!!)...amazing!

Keep up the great work, Great_One--it's wonderful to see it coming!

FF

25. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Hey ... GreatOne! Another familiar 'face'...

I've just joined the FA ranks here. I love the chances you take with your work, putting a different twist on things (one of my favorites is "Van Gogh Vader"). Your style reminds me of anime (I mean that as a compliment!).

I also had a good laugh at "Jag's Experiment - Ylesia" - oh, I remember that moment! Well done.

oldj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.