main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Great_One's Gallery - Updated on 11.14.05 - "Orange is the New Pink"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Great_One, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Hi DVeditor! Thanks for stopping in! The hair? Really? I always find that it's one of the most aggravating things to draw, lol. I'm usually not too happy with how it comes out but I'm glad that it looks ok to others :)

Heya, Deb/FF :) I'm glad to see that you like how my latest attempts are turning out! The Solo portrait is a lot of fun, and this was my first shot at Chewie! Wookies *are* hard! lol. And the sonic cup is just one of the random things I do. I actually drew Harry Potter on a Frappucino bottle the day the last movie came out! lol. I wish I could post it, but it looks like the server got cleaned out :(

Hi oldjedinurse! Thanks for checking out my stuff! I stopped by your thread earlier, but didn't get a chance to post anything. Great job, btw. Eh, Anime... Not too big on it. I really try to stay more into the traditional style of animation. Glad you like Van Goh Vader! That was just a speed job and I was surprised that so many people liked it! lol. And the "Experiment"! One of my favorite NJO scenes and I felt that I couldn't leave that alone :)

And now:

Jaina Portrait - WIP (Color)

2. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Like your new Jaina WIP - very interested in seeing the finished product!

Meant no offence with the anime comment - maybe its just me!

oldj

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:=D=
    Wow!!
    That looks fabulous Great_One!!! I am soooo loving the colored pencils (if that's what you used...?)--the tones of her skin look so smooth and well-blended--just beautiful!! I love the way you've done her eyes--very expressive: full of the self-confidence and strength we all know Jaina possesses! This is just wonderful--and it isn't going to matter much what type of clothes you put on her, to be honest--this is great just as it is now! Beautiful work, just beautiful!
    =D=

FF

4. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work on this latest Jaina image! :D I can't wait to see it's completion. And as for jedi robes or flightsuit I'd say robes, as her expression is more calm and at peace, I'd imagine she'd be a bit more 'fired-up' before heading out to fly her x-wing. Just a suggestion though, either way I'm sure it will look fantastic, well done Great_One! :)

5. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Oldjedinurse - No offense taken. Glad you like the new one.

FF - Thanks! Yeah, colored pencils. Crayola, at that. lol. I really should step up and get some prismacolors. I used to play with my mom's when I was little... needless to say they're nowhere to be found anymore, haha. Maybe I'll let her borrow mine from time to time.

Hey C_R! Thanks! I was going to go with Jedi robes, but I thought it needed some contrast to it, thus resulting in the bright orange flightsuit that I drew on her last night. I've also given her a little more of the "Solo smile". lol.

So just a note to all - I've finished. Yes. She's done. She's still sitting in my sketchbook and I'm going to scan it as soon as I get home from work. :)

6. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Portrait of a Goddess ;)

There she is. All done. Something about her shoulders, though. I don't like how they came out. *shrug*

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    This turned out wonderfully, Great_One!! I have to agree with the flightsuit choice--it looks great--and actually, I think her shoulders look pretty good. It sort of looks like she might have a slight "shrug" going on with the left one, but proportionally, I think she looks just fine. You're right too that we don't usually "see" Jaina in her Jedi robes--it's either off-duty fatigues or her flightsuit...unless it's the occasional, dreaded formal ball gown, lol! ;) Very nice job! =D=

FF

8. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work! I think one shoulder may a little higher than the other so maybe you just needed some more fabric folds to indicate that one is indeed higher, or maybe sloping the rise into her neck a little less severely so it's more of a taper on the nearest side. Either way it still looks really good! I must agree the orange was a nice touch and her brown hair goes a lot nicer with orange anyway. It's funny how issues like that come down to aesethics in the end, but hey that's why we are all here in Fanart aren't we? :)

9. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, sorry it took so long, lol.

FF - Thank you! Hmm, Jaina shrugs a lot, so I guess that could work. lol. Maybe it's just because she's at a little bit of an angle... that must be it.

C_R - Thanks :) I think I will try to make the slope a little less dramatic. I could always just draw more hair over it, lol. Glad to see that you do like the flightsuit, and yes, I'm glad that this is fanart and not the real deal. I can just imagine a professional artist picking my stuff apart! lol.

And I'm not sure if I'm the only one that sees it, but does anyone else think she looks like the Jaina from the YJK books? I didn't do it intentionally, but I think that's just the way it turned out.

10. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Well done, Great_One! I particularly love her eyes and the shading of her hair - excellent!

What's next?

oldj

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Another wonderful portrait, Great_One! I can definitely see your skills improving as you go along. Jaina is very well executed here. I think the colored pencil job really brings her to life with your choice of vibrant colors. You also did an excellent job doing her hair - lots of details present there. ;)

12. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Oldj - thanks! I'd like to say that Aayla Secura will be next, as I've had this fascination with drawing Twi'leks lately because those lekku are so hard to draw! lol. But honestly, I'm not sure yet. I still need to do some more work on my NJO series and I still need to do a portrait of Anakin Solo, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what shoots out from the end of my pencil! lol.

HS29 - Thank you for the kind words - the colored pencils were a pain in the butt, as I've never really done portraits with them before. I usually sketch everything out and then go from there, erasing where needed, but I just picked up the tan pencil and started coloring and it went from being a completely original character in the beginning, to Mara, to Leia, and then finally to Jaina. lol. I really should work on that 'making up my mind' aspect, no?

Glad you guys like the hair - I can quite honestly say that it's the part I worked on the longest with this one. The eyes come in at a close 2nd, but the hair was really a pain.

13. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, I dl'd the GIMP and I've been playing around with it today and here's the finished product - a cookie for anyone who can guess who it is! lol.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/racerchick/Sketches%20and%20crap/guesswho.gif]

14. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Is it Aayla Secura?

Just had a look through your Dev!Art gallery. There's some beautiful stuff on there! I love your Lara Crofts. And that picture of Padme is splendid!

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Aayla Secura in green peppers...?

[face_thinking] :p

I've heard it's a great program, Great_One, and we'll be looking forward to seeing how it tickles your creativity!

FF

16. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ugh, sorry this took so long guys -

TroubledAnakin - Thank you for visiting my dA page! It's great to hear such... great... comments about it! lol. And I'm glad you like Lara - I like her too. She's such a fun character to draw, as there's so much room to play around and experiment with different outfits and equipment. Ah, and Padmé - thank you. Most of my Padmé stuff seems to be the pride and joy of my collection :)

Deb - Yes! The GIMP! It's fun. I haven't been playing around with it too much yet, but it is a great program. I like painter a bit better, but I didn't feel like spending that much on it just now (I just ordered a lightsaber hilt for my Jaina costume from randomsabers.com).

And ding ding ding! We have a winner - It is Aayla, you were both right. I promised another Aayla pic a while back, remember? lol. ;) Don't worry, I'll do a serious pic of her eventually. I've got a few things now that need scanning - Another work doodles page, of course (Jacen - who resembles Jesus, according to my co-workers-, Jaina, and Anakin), and another work sketch, this one a design for my costume.

17. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, some new stuff:

Tahiri Veila 2

Tahiri a bit more grown up. I picture this being sometime between The Unifying Force and Dark Nest (Can't wait for the next book!!) Not sure that I really like how this one came out. I didn't even mean for it to turn into Tahiri and I didn't feel like drawing feet, so she's not a barefoot Jedi here... ah well.

Costume Sketch

Yes, very sketchy. Not sure if those are the colors I'm going to go with, either. I did it in about 5 minutes with 2 colored pencils, lol. I'm trying to stick to the costume that's on the cover of FH2, because it's cool. It's sort of militaristic, very Jedi, and very Jaina. lol. I'm just trying to take it and make it a bit more like the costumes seen in the films. I like those ones. So it's sleeveless and the edges are going to be cut kind of sharp to give it a military feel. Yeah, I think I explained that right.

Jacen WIP - Colored Pencils

I think I may end up doing all of the Solos (or at least the kids) in this style. I like colored pencils. They're so much fun to work with :)

I've also got a few Phantom of the Opera doodles up and an illustration to the song "Mr. Mom" by Lonestar if anyone wants to check those out as well (I'm not posting them here, as they're not SW related).

Cheers,

Toni/Great_One

18. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  19. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    These are wonderful! A particular favourite is the older Tahiri piece. You've shown real improvement here in your anatomy, the pose is much more dynamic and interesting. Great linework by the way! :) I also like how the Jacen illustration is coming along, I can't wait to see it finished. That whole set of the Solo kids is going to look great! :) Well done on a great update Great_One!

20. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks C_R!

21. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, so I'm really excited - I just started a nifty pic of the Solo kids. I'm thinking about doing it all in watercolor, because I like watercolors, and yeah. I think I'm too hyper. lol. No, but really, it's going to be cool. It's got (l-r) Jaina, Anakin, and Jacen and they're all poised for battle. It's based on a line I was playing around with for a possible fic -"Being a Solo means you're never fighting alone." Yeah. Ok, I'm going to go now. lol.

22. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    The Definition of 'Solo'

There it is. I knocked that out in... I don't know how long, but it wasn't very long. lol. It's not my best work, but I'm fond of the concept.

23. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, Great_One!

I just want to let you know that I'm still checking out your work and that I haven't abandoned the thread. :p

You have been really busy over the course of these past few weeks. Lots of great stuff is popping up in here. The Jaina portrait, the Solo kids and the one of Leia are a few of my favorites. The portrait just really stood out to me with it's different use of color and the proportions of the face are very well done.

As for the Solo kids - very nice. You captured the essence of both Han and Leia in all three of them and once again, excellent job on the coloring. And finally Leia - she looks cartoony in a way, but also holds some realistic qualities to her. I love the rendering of her dress and the different folds and such. Definitely a nice drawing for doing it at work or school. ;)

Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see some of those Joiner King drawings! :D

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I hadn't realised that it's been so long since I posted in your thread. I just wanted to say that I think your work is really good, the faces in particular. "Beautiful - Kind, But Sad." Padmé - Ep. III is my favourite of your recent pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.