main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Great_One's Gallery - Updated on 11.14.05 - "Orange is the New Pink"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Great_One, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Jaina looks very nice Great One, if you don't mind I'd like to add her to the J/J Index. Let me know either way how you feel about it.

2. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks, BF, and feel free to add her :)

3. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
  4. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    No deviantart fullviews work for me.

Do you mind hosting them on imageshack or something? dA is becoming so annoying lately.

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    The links seem to be working for me--maybe DA was just "having a hissy" for a moment! ;)

I like the colored "Sword" piece--good choices for colors for her Jedi robes! You might try to get a bit more contrast into the colors, to mirror the shading you do on the original drawing--it will give the colored piece more "volume" and realism. You did a great job with her eyes, though--wonderful depth there!

I like your start on Grievous--I have religiously avoided doing that character, just because he's so hard! You seem to have his helmet/face down very well, and it'll be great to see how this comes along!

The Padme studies are lovely! I had a little shock when the first one turned out to be Padme in the Senate, with the "how liberty dies" comment: I have a stunning close-up photo of that moment that I'm kicking around the idea of trying as a portrait! I loved--and was also horrified by--that scene: it was a chilling mirror to events in the world right now, and the words she spoke left me cold... Anyway! The different angles and costumes you have her in are very well done (and of course, we always love to see this type of "preliminary" work!)--you mentioned these were for some animation...? Are you doing an animated film, mayhaps...? Keep us updated!

And it's always fun to put in SW-related stuff, whether it's drawings or not! ;)

Great update--you've been pretty prolific with your art lately, and it's great!

FF

6. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    You've got a lot of variation to your work - I like that. Nice stuff.

7. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Omnis - are they working yet? If the problem hasn't sorted itself out yet, I'll go ahead and put them up on photobucket.

FF - ok, in list format, lol:
    - Sword: Thanks for the suggestions. I think I might go back and re color it, as I wasn't too happy with the colors, either, lol ;) I was working on a computer w/a crap mouse that shot all over the place when you just wanted it to go in a straight line! not fun.
    - Grievous: oh, he's not *that* bad, lol. Give it a go, I'm sure you'll get him spot on.
    - Padmè(s): Go for the portrait, lol. I'll do one too and we can have matching ones! haha. But no, really, I loved that part. I actually quoted her at the Harry Potter release when all the people started clapping and screaming as they rolled out the carts of books. I stood there with my friends and uttered "So this is how sanity dies.. with thunderous applause." lol. They all got a kick out of it, but we were just as insane to have waited for 5 hours in a book store, sitting on the floor and discussing the NJO ;) lol. And no, there's not going to be any animation, sorry :( I mentioned that you should click on the pic for a full view that was animated ;) Oh, and mayhaps is the coolest word ever! lol.
    -Pretty prolific, huh? I call it lazy. lol. I spend time on this and nothing else!! Oh no!

Kenu - thanks for the compliment and I'm glad you enjoy my work. Thanks for stopping in! :)

Ok, so I'm definately starting to get into this art stuff. The store by my house is closing around christmas time, so they're having this great big sale until then and I stopped by yesterday and spent *way* too much $ lol. I got a bunch of prismacolors and some charcoal pencils and I'm thinking about stocking up on some oil paints and canvases, as well. Fun stuff. So here's my first portrait in charcoal, although it's not SW related.
    Andrew Largeman - Garden State

8. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Omg I need to draw something! lol. *Expect updates soon ;)*

9. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    I am just blown away right now. Your drawings are amazing!!

10. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks! :)

Ok, and here's a new quick little thing. It's a doll. The base and face are from xandorra.net and I thought the face was just too cute! :)

Orange is the New Pink

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    AAACK!! I missed your update with Largeman (and yeah--"Garden State" is a great film!)!! What a wonderful portrait, Great_One--the shading and proportions are wonderful, and his eyes look great! I really like how you're taking a more critical look at how the shadows fall on the face--under the lips and eyes for example--be sure to apply that same examination to the lips themselves: there are actually color variations on the lips (and yeah, it's always scary to try to draw that on a guy, for fear of making it look like lipstick or something!), as well as subtle shadows that define shape. I can see you've darkened in under his lower lip here, giving it a wonderful form, but remember to add some shadowing under the upper lip as well (when light falls on a face, unless it's coming from below the nose, there will be a shadow on the upper lip).

This is a wonderful portrait, and really shows how much you're progressing--it makes me all giddy! :p

LMAO about the "Orange is the New Pink!" That's a "Jaina-ism" if I ever heard one (and knowing how much she would probably hate the color pink...lol!)! Nice little doll--and I loved your added comment about her "looking good in a flightsuit" with the comparison to her Uncle Luke!

Keep up the great work! =D=

FF

12. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I have to agree with FF, Jaina is very cute and realistic.
    And she would hate pink! [face_devil]

13. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    FF - yes, you missed it! lol. "Garden State" is currently ranking up there w/SW lol. I actually wasn't very happy with poor Large, so I re-drew him! lol. I've listened to your advice and he's turning out a lot better. I'm even trying out your hair technique ;)

Thanks Chilla :)

Ok, another new thing (again "Garden State", not SW)

Natalie Portman has such great eyebrows! lol

14. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Oh, how cute! [face_love]
    And yes, her eyebrows are really great! :D

15. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    OMG!!I loved that movie, and i LOVE these drawings!!!

16. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks!!

"Large" Comparison..

Both versions of Largeman, side by side. Can you see the difference?

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow!! Yeah I can see the difference! And how great that you included the previous version to make the comparison! =D= First--his eyes: both shaped more uniformly, and sized equally--and awesome reflections/moistness there! They really look real! His nose: you evened up the nostrils and adjusted their angle to match his face (not quite straight-on, but not quite 3/4...a tough angle, btw!)--well done! His hair: a little lower over the sides of his forehead, and looking very natural. And the shading is darker, with more contrast--and it really adds to the depth of the piece! This is a wonderful revision, Great_One! It really does look like Zach Braff (sp?)--very nicely done!

FF

18. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks FF!

Hope everyone had a good holiday season! Ok, my number 1 resolution for this year (besides no more resolutions) is to draw more, so expect plenty more artsy stuff in '06 :)

19. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Wow - someone who works faster than me!!

I really like your "Sword of the Jedi - colored version". The attitude of your drawing suits Luke's words perfectly, and the coloring is very good.

My favorite among your work, though, is the final version of Padme (funeral). That was definitely worth all the hours of work you put into it. I hope you have that framed somewhere because its awesome!

Very, very well done!

oldj

P.S. "Orange is the new pink"? LOVE that!!

20. Great_One

Jun 29, 2005
    lol, much faster considering these are all ancient now! lol. Even 'Orange' is from mid November! lol. Gosh, I'm such a slacker. Actually, I have been drawing, but I'm just feeling rather uninspired. I actually went back and started doing some illustrations from Harry Potter (Books 1 and 2, and now I'm dabbling in some Book 6 stuff). I blame it on the Dark Nest books! lol. *Mental Note: Pick up Swarm War asap!! I need an HP/Narnia/Geisha/DaVinci break!!* haha. If anyone is interested, here's my post 'Garden State' stuff:

Just a little lit tag with my username. Kind of matrix-y inspired.
    The Man With Two Faces - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    The Heir of Slytherin - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Through the Wardrobe - Me in Narnia... actually, I'm at Disney World. lol.

Oh and sadly, Padmè is not framed and hanging nicely, but she, along with all of my other artwork, are filed semi-neatly into a little portfolio that I've had since freshman year. lol. :( I think I might make a nice copy and add her to my door collage.. if I ever start on it! lol.

21. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Hey, cool! =D=
    To be honest, I don't like Harry Potter, but your Fanart is really good.
    Like your username tag.

LOL, welcome in Narnia!...ehm....I meant Disney Land :p

22. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Nicely done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.