main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greateast Trilogies of all Time

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by OKSTATE99, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OKSTATE99

OKSTATE99 Jedi Grand Master

Jul 16, 2003
    So this lady thinks. Hint OT gets the shaft.

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=138846

2. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Number eight eh? I've been hearing Star Wars refrenced in pop and political culture far far far more than the film trilogy that came in number seven (I didn't even bother to read what came in six through one).

Anyway Star Wars isn't a trilogy it a six film saga. So to heck with whoever wrote this nonsense.

Matrix Sux. Bill S. Preston Esq. vs. Elrond what a stupid jackass comedy this has been. Keauna Reeves is the worst actor to appear in so many big films. His voice sound like a ten year old trying to sound more manly to impress a Junior High School girl. What a baffoon. I haven't seen the third one yet and I'm in no hurry to do so. I don't care if I never see it. He should go back to Bill and Ted. It was the only thing he was ever good in. He's a horrible actor. Horrible. Horrible. Worse than Patrick Swayze or Richard Geere, and I can't stand either of them.

The Lord of the Rings was a great story written by J.R.R. Tolkien. Peter Jackson's rip off of it has been shallow and insensitive to the original fans.

Star Wars Rules. #1 by a long shot.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Link

Hmmm, I've never even heard of a few of those trilogies. Oh well, though I do think that SW and LOTR should have been closer to number one.

4. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    Hmm as said above i dont even recall most of those trilogies ever made and i agree with that SW and LOTR should be higher on the list.

But why oh why is Indiana Jones missing? It would have been for me on number 2 with SW 1 and 3 lotr.

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Holy cow, you're right about Indy not being on that list. Get rid of Night of the Living dead trilogy (trilogy? pfft) and put Indy on that list! :mad:

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    It's hard to take any of these "lists" seriously anymore, but this has to be a joke. Evil Dead and Mad Max over Star Wars. Yeah, okay.

I don't think LOTR should be there because ROTK isn't out yet.

From the article: The latest offering is the "Indiana Jones" series, snuggled neatly into a package that helps us forget the first and second films were sub-par.

Raiders was sub-par?

Can't really argue with The Godfather or The Man With No Name. Personally, my list would be different but the same goes for everyone else.

7. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    No Indiana Jones? No Back to the Future?

That list is a joke. :(

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There may be an overall saga- but it is seperated into two trilogies, and when someone says "the Star Wars Trilogy", people know they mean the CT ::)

9. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Whoa there EV. The Dead Trilogy is one of the crowning achievments of horror, and Dawn of the Dead is felt by many (including myself) to be the greatest horror film of all time.

If you're going to get rid of a trilogy on there, it should be Mad Max.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't seen the Three Colors or Apu trilogies, I highly recommend them.

10. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Jesus, that lady is harsh! "If you're a true Star Wars fan, or if you understand what a good movie is...". Must be one of those "I'm a critic so my opinion is fact!" people. What's really funny is that, after implying that the OT are good movies, she says "chock full of bad acting." [face_laugh]

That really was one of the worst "top 10" I have ever read.

Cometgreen

11. Bubbs

Bubbs Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2003
    Wow, that was really bad.

Indy should have been on there, as with Back to the Future, and both CT and LOTR should have been closer to number 1, behind The Godfather trilogy of course.

12. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Let's see.

The OT makes it on as an afterthought, and the author just whines about it and bashes ROTJ.
    The PT doesn't make it on at all.
    Back to the Future gets the shaft, as does Indiana Jones.

But there's room for Mad Max?

// ignores silly article from this point forward

Rick McCallum loves you!

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Can somebody please explain the popularity of the Evil Dead series to me? I honestly would like to know why it is on this list. I saw Army of Darkness recently, and wanted to chuck my television out the window [face_plain]

Frankly, I think this list is terrible. Star Wars at #8? No mention of Indiana Jones or Back to the Future?

I think it's time we all revolted against top ten lists. They suck ;)

14. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Like ever one else has said Where is Indiana Jones and Back to the Future?

15. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    im an Evil Dead fan, but to place them above Star Wars is an atrocity. And i am appalled at the lack of Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Back to the Future, The Matrix, and a personal favorite, The Rambo Trilogy. Some of those may not be too deserving. But, critics are dumb. i mean the Godfather trilogy? I was bored out of my mind. i didn't get through 2. LOTR number 10? Way better than DOA and Mad Max.

The Lord of the Rings was a great story written by J.R.R. Tolkien. Peter Jackson's rip off of it has been shallow and insensitive to the original fans.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. I think it was a well played movie. Sure some things were taken out like Tom Bombadill and the presentation of gifts to the fellowship from Galadriel. But those are minor, in retrospect. Tolkien's family didn't object to his adaptation. i think PJ did an excellent job, and to do a masterful job, we'd still be watching The Fellowship of the Ring.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Evil Dead is great- not too many action/adventure/horror/comedies out there- and this one works so well.

It's obviously over the top, but it's really just about a coward who becomes a total badass when he has to to combat Deadites while spouting some of the most memorable and quotable one-liners ever put to film ::)

Personally, Army of Darkness was the best of the three, though the last half hour of Evil Dead 2 was pretty good (didn't care for everything leading up to the "I said I was alright!" line, as Ash just wasn't the Ash I knew and loved from AOD yet).

ED1 is just notable since it was a successful but very low budget straight-horror flick...and probably being the only movie to feature a woman being raped by a tree [face_batting]

17. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    that was classic.

18. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Well, I don't know. She didn't accuse Harrison Ford of being a bad actor. She can't be all bad...

And come on, who doesn't want to see an Ewok run into a tree? I wouldn't mind it all that much.

As for the OT being #8 on the list, now that's B******t.

19. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    I love horror movies and am glad to see not one but two classic series get recognition on the same level as the original SW trilogy. The original Evil Dead remains my favorite Raimi movie (even if you're not a fan of the movie, if you like Star Wars you ought to at least be able to sympathize with a "bad movie" being GREAT).

For anyone upset: what can I say? Sorry Star Wars doesn't win absolutely every accolade possible all the time? How can you even criticize if you haven't seen the movies (I've seen Dead or Alive 2; not a shabby movie at all but a little "difficult"). Or is this just supposed to be a popularity contest? It still beat Lord of the Rings and The Matrix didn't even make the cut (thank heaven).

20. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I absolutely love the EVIL DEAD series (I'd say ED2 is one of my most favorite movies), but I can't believe they ranked it higher than SW.

Then again, this is by a movie critic, a species I've learned to ignore over the years.

21. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark is 'below par'? Huh? Yeah, Temple Of Doom was crap, but Raiders was at least equal to The Last Crusade, if not better...

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> And come on, who doesn't want to see an Ewok run into a tree? I wouldn't mind it all that much.<<

Unless it was the tree from Evil Dead 1... [face_batting]

23. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I agree that Back to the Future and Indy should have been on the list. But on the other hand I have agree with the number one choice.

The Man With No Name Trilogy is totally awesome, and like a true trilogy the third film is the greatest.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is my favourite film after A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

24. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    Different people have different opinions... this whole thing is so not a big deal it's absolutely staggering.

I don't think you can make a list like this and have it be really meaningful anyway, whether or not you're a film critic.

25. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Critics are so stupid!!!!
    On that list besides SW and LOTR I had never even heard of those movies. And Star Wars 8? What the heck.... And how dare them say that TPM and AOTC were terrible and we should forget them. The article says if you like the new ones you are not a true SW fan.

Critics? Who need them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.