main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greater Ohio Boxer Rescue - general discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Krash, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    We've talked about "doing good" in our community; well, I just heard a story that may require our attention:

Amy works with a group called Greater Ohio Boxer Rescue (GOBR) and they work on rescue and adoption of dogs (mostly boxers). Recently, they learned about a pregnant dog, in a shelter...a women offered to foster her while she had the puppies. Shortly afterwards, the shelter asked her to CHOOSE which 3 puppies to live, and the rest were going to be destroyed on the spot.

I'll have more info on this soon, but this is a horrible situation; and I think we should help GOBR anywhere we can (I'll be contacting Columbus soon...since the shelter is in their area).

Anyone interested in joining me in expressing our outrage with this situation?

2. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
  3. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    For some reason, that doesn't sound like something a shelter would do. I'm not saying Amy is lying, but I think part of the story is missing.

The would not destroy the dogs "on the spot". Also, they normally don't tell the person that the animals will be destroyed. They take them back to the shelter for adoption. Puppies get adopted quickly. Older dogs do not. Those that stay for a certain amount of time get put to sleep.

4. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is... join you on this quest I will.

5. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    I agree, doesn't sound like the whole story, but sign me up.

6. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    <sarcasm>OOH OOH OOH!!!! Maybe Jon can get some of those bleeding-heart-hollywood-types to help us out with this one.</sarcasm directed at bleeding-heart-hollywood-types, not this particular cause> ;)

We do need to figure out what the whole story is, but I may be in depending on school/work/funding yadda yadda yadda.

-b-

7. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I'm in.

I may not be a dog person, but I still care about animals.

8. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Boxers are hard to find homes for. People art afraid to adopt them because of their aggressive nature. Just call the local media. They love to do stories like this one. It?s instant ratings, they get the public supporting them, and the station looks like the community hero in the end.

9. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    While I was summarizing...basically (as much as I've read of her posting on the GOBR site), a women in the C-bus area offered to foster a pregnant dog (a shelter is no place to have puppies) and agreed to bring them in once they could survive away from the mother. As the woman walked into the shelter, the staff was WAITING with kits to put the dogs (all but the "3 most likely to be adopted"...a puppy beauty contest) down "on the spot."

The woman was horrified by the thought, and since only the mother was "property" of the shelter...she kept ALL the puppies, and planned to adopt the mother that day.

I'll have more info soon, and I'll get in touch with DarthClerical in Columbus and let him know. I need to get more information from GOBR.

As for Boxers, and people being afraid to adopt them because of their aggressive nature...let me just say that EVERY boxer I've come in contact with has been as friendly as any other breed of dogs. They are very playful...and sometimes protective of their "family"...but this stereotype of them being dangerous because of their aggressive nature is pure myth. Just because they are large dogs...doesn't make them dangerous.

Maggie (Amy's dog) is the sweetest animal I've ever known, and I couldn't even imaging her doing something (unprovoked) to anyone.

10. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Well, after communications between GOBR and my contact with them (Amy)...while they appreciate the offer to help. They still need to maintain a working relationship with the kennels around the state; and a group of jedi in "aggressive negotiations" may not be best for their public relations.

So, how's this for a solution...can BMack add the GOBR website to our (eventual) webpage "links" section? And in the future, when they need man-power...we offer to help? If we direct 1 SW fan (who is looking to adopt a dog) to them...and they get approved to adopt...that's one more dog who will find a good home!

11. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    oh yeah, maggie's fine...

unless you're a guy who's between 5'11" and 6'4". That puts your groin right at "the boxer force push of doom" level.

It's actually amusing when it doesn't happen to you. She'll step on your foot so you can't get away, then BOFFO! right in the cajones.

-b-

12. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    At 6'3, I guess I don't want to meet Maggie then...

13. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    just cover... you'll be fine...

-b-

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    You're lucky...I get that everytime I come over to Amy's house. She's actually a little jealous, because Maggie gets more excited when I walk in...then her.

I have a new appreciation for when Fred Flintstone gets knocked over by Dino ;)

Did I mention my puppy make "Chewbacca noises" (Amy's quote) when she's vocalizing to us...it's soooo cute [face_love]

BTW, speaking of our website (see my last post)...when are we going to sit down with this "web team" we assembled, and go over what's being done. I'd like GOBR to be one of the sites we have a link to from our webpage. Helps Amy's group, and we do something to help dogs like Maggie!

15. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    While this might cause some controversy due to personal opinion, I'd just like to say that tomorrow I'm going to be "doing good" in Washington DC by marching in the March For Life, which will protest the legalization of abortion which occurred with the Roe vs. Wade case on January 22nd years ago. (Not that I anticipate anyone is going to go to DC, but) any (moral) support is appreciated. I'll represent for y'all!

16. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Good for you, Eric! Hope it's not too cold!

17. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    Yes, yes, yes... I do believe that this will cause controversy.

Personal Statement: Please keep your laws off my body. Also realize that this law is more of an issue of respecting any individual rights than it is a moral issue. Most (note "most") pro-lifers I have met, have a nasty tendency to care about fetuses or the pre-born, but then not care about them once they are born (poverty, food stamps, welfare, the list goes on) then magically they care about you once again when you're eligible for military service to go fight wars on other disadvantaged people. Having said that, do I see abortion as birth control? No. Responsibility for one's actions must be taken into account.

Although I also have to say that if abortion were to become illegal, back come the wire coat hangers as well as another rather novel and interesting way to punish rape victims like many lawmakers in our society do.

Other than that... well, have fun meddling in people's lives, I guess...

-b-

18. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Actually, "b", I'm a Pediatrician. My career is centered around caring for children both in and out of the womb.

19. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Without getting too involved in the political side of things, let's just say I have a variety of opinions on this matter.

On the one side, I'm very much a supporter of a woman's right to choose what happens with her body...on the other, I'm very grateful that the 15 yr old who gave birth to my adopted cousin did NOT choose to do so. Plus, I have issues with "pro-life" people who intimidate and sometimes KILL people who disagree with thier views...but I also have problems with people who use this as a way to escape their responsibilities.

Point is, this is a delicate matter...and one that I don't think any Republican or Democrate, or even religion has all the answers; I'm not sure I have all the answers.

SO all I CAN say is...have a safe trip, state your feelings...without forcing your views on someone else.

20. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    foobies... Jade, I did it again. I forgot there were some newer people here and let my sarcasm run away from me. I am truly sorry if I offended you.

My personal statement was not directed at anyone in particular. Just those who take it upon themselves to use a "moral compass" in extreme circumstances to try and decide what is "right" for everybody.

I tend be <sarcasm>just a wee bit</sarcasm> beligirent when I see anything that jumps up at me and screams. And it is part of my attitude in general to smack people into thinking about more than one side of an issue.

Again, I am sorry if I offended you. This is heartfelt, I don't apologize unless I feel I've done something wrong. You are not familiar with me and you don't know my views, although I think you can guess at a few of them ;). But most of all, I did not take you feelings into account. I'm sorry.

If you have any qualms about my sincerity, ask Krash about one of his ex-roommate's girlfriends.

BTW Krash, you pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. Just a tad more eloquently I believe.

Eric, have a good trip and remember: If your ear freezes off in a protest, I once saw a May 4th vigilant at Kent lick the broken piece and stick it right back into place. It stayed too... ;)

-b-

21. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Sorry, Brian. Type doesn't allow for tone of voice. I wasn't at all offended. Just wanted to let you know that some of us do go farther than words with our beliefs.

Plus, I have issues with "pro-life" people who intimidate and sometimes KILL people who disagree with thier views

Completely.

Explanation of my position below. You may skip it if you choose because it does state my religious beliefs. (BTW, this is all in an even tone & very calm tone of voice)

My view stems from my faith. Those who don't have that same belief system, I can't expect to have the same opinions as myself.
    I used to be pro-choice, especially in extreme cases (like pregnancy after rape, etc.)
    But after reading more of the Bible, I could no longer hold that opinion. I believe that God has control over everything. If He didn't have a plan for the mother or the child of the rape (for instance), he would not have allowed the conception in the first place.
    If it was the person's choice and the girl becomes pregnant, then that's one of the consequences of the behavior. God allows us to make our own choices, but we have have to accept that sometimes there is a cost to that--not eternal, but here on earth. He won't test us beyond our ability either, however. If the people involved could not handle the child, He would not have allowed it to happen.

Those who take this to extremes, such as killing the doctor or supporters of pro-choice activities are out of bounds. If they claim to be Chrisitans, they certainly aren't following anything in the Bible.

Sorry about the sermon, but just stating my opinion since it came up.

22. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    For clarity sake, I'm going to ask if everyone wants to continue this discussion...please move it to another thread. I know Eric tried equate "doing good" (from his own "certain point of view") by participating in the march...while I may not entirly agree, that's another issue.

However I don't want this getting mixed up with the original discussion of particpation/volunteerism with Greater Ohio Boxer Rescue

23. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Sorry, Geoff, [face_blush]

24. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I don't know how much a group like ours could do to help; but here's another example of why I think we should offer to help GOBR:

The Friday before the Civic Theater event, Amy asked for my help with a dog she'd be rostering for the night. His name is Jake, and he'd been in the APL for over 2 months (Monday was supposed to be the day he got put down) GOBR got word of this...and contacted a similar group in Toronto. So after getting Jake cleaned up (he stank!) and fed (he weighed something like 45 lbs); we arranged to meet a person from the Toronto group at the Pa/NY border (Ripley, NY to be exact). So after driving 3 hours in a bad snowstorm to meet this person...said our goodbyes...and transfered him to her car; I just learned that Jake has already been adopted by a family in Toronto!!!

You say the biggest problem in the universe is that nobody helps each other

This is the kind of stuff I want to get us more involved with. We may be small, (compared to some Fanforces) but if we're going to be Jedi Knights of Cleveland, we should at least try to help wherever we can.

25. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.