main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Greatest Lightsaber duel of Star Wars

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by CuppaJoe, Jul 20, 2003.

?

Greatest Lightsaber duel of Star Wars

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Qui-Gon Vs. Darth Maul on Tatooine, Obi-Wan and Qui-gon vs. Darth Maul-Episode I

23.1%
  2. Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Count Dooku, Yoda vs. Count Dooku-Episode II

30.8%
  3. Obi-Wan vs. Vader-Episode IV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Luke vs. Vader-Episode V

30.8%
  5. Luke vs. Vader-Episode VI

15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
  2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I must specify here, the ESB original trilogy lightsaber battle is the best. It is the moment that Luke becomes a "man." He chooses death over joining his father. He goes down with out a word. In the SE ESB they added a scream, it kind of ruins Luke's choice; makes him wimpier.

Jedi Dajuan

3. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    As a well choreographed fight Darth Maul's are the best by far.

4. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    As a fun fight to watch, I would have picked Maul, QGJ, OBW. But as a real duel, my favorite is RotJ. I didn't use to like it that much, but now, after seeing 2/3 of the prequel trilogy, it's much more powerful. It's the end of a long life of being a slave (Vader) and it's the dawn of the new Jedi Order.

and I agree with dajaun. Adding that whiny scream was almost as good of an idea as adding the Jabba scene in ANH and having Greedo shoot first.

God I hate the SE.

5. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Atleast the effects are better. Except for that CG Jabba. Ugh. And the Max Rebo Jedi Rocks thing. **shiver**

6. Sith-Kazar

Sith-Kazar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I don't care! I of course LOVE the original version of the classic trilogy best. But I like some of the Special Edition too(like the Sarlacc).

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Here here Quigon_Brian, Greedo shooting first bah...

Though I do agree with Sith_Kazar some parts of the SE are ok, such as the cleaned up effects.

8. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    The only two things decent about the SE are the cleaned up matte lines, the opacity (going back to the matte lines) in of the speeders in the battle of Hoth, and the expanded Cloud City. And those weren't even necessary. They didn't need to add the extra shots of CG X-Wings and what not.

The thing I really like about the OT is the quaintness of it. It's fun to think about what an achievement it was back in the late 70s. Nobody else was doing anything like that. Nowadays, everybody does CG characters and all kinds of other amazing effects. I think of the OT as more of an individual than I do the SE.

9. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I totally agree with Jedi_Dajuan...adding that scream completely changed everything. By jumping silently he bravely and decisively chooses death rather than joining his father.
    In the newer ones when he screams...it makes it appear that maybe death was not his intention and he was not quite ready to fall (or jump). That little wussy scream totally changed the meaning of that whole scene.

10. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Who WOULDN'T scream while falling down that chasm?

11. _Mike_

_Mike_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2002
    mmmmm yoda soda

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Cuppa, that's not the point. We'd all scream, but this is Star Wars world here. The SE ruined a major point in Luke's life. The fact that he did not scream there shows he is ready to face the consequences of the right path. The scream totally took that away from him. It seems like he was unsure his path; instead of ready to die rather than become like Vader.

13. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    the scream sounded retarded, i agree pat, i would scream too, but not like that

14. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Am I the only one that thought the digitized Sarlaac was a bad idea? The way I see it, this huge creature doesn't get fed all that often. Sure an occasional Bantha that didn't watch it's step and a nice Boba Buffet when Jabba comes around, but something that large should have that much energy to waste trying to catch a few little humanoids.

15. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    I agree, Jon. I didn't like the Sarlaac. I also hate all these EU people that say that Boba Fett escaped from it. I personally like some of the EU (Thrawn Trilogy), but some of it is just retarded. Boba died right there on Tatooine. Accept it.

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah I totally don't get people's obsession with Boba Fett. He's a freaking bounty hunter, woop-de-doo. Not like he saved the galaxy or anything; if you think about it it's kind of his family's fault the civil war happened anyway. Well at least a little....

17. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    yeah kinda dajuan, his dad was the original guy that was cloned for the army, and without an army, you cant have a war

18. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    It's not like they couldn't have found someone else. I mean, yeah, Jango was ideal for a host, but I don't think it was that big of a deal.

19. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I liked Boba Fett just because he was so mysterious. He's the "best bounty hunter in the Galaxy" and he pops in from time to time, but you really don't know much about him. But as soon as they gave him a background, it killed the character.

Secondly, the books completely disagree with the movies. In EU, his real name is Jaster Mereel (or something like that) and he survives setting off a thermal detonator at point blank inside the sarlaac's stomach. In the movie, he's a dirty little mexican kid who's a worse actor than Jake Lloyd with a Boba Fett wannabe for a dad. Personally, I think the books did a better job with his past than George did. He should have been left out of Ep II or at least made him a worthwhile character. Not a soon to be street-urchin.

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah AOTC totally removed Boba's mystique, but it builds up a connection to the characters to the original trilogy. I still think he's just a minor character that people care way too much about.

21. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Actually he's from New Zealand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.