main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greatest LightSaber duels ever,so far?.....

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by THEDEVILSITH, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Out of the PT:

Maul vs. Obi and QGJ
    Yoda vs. Dooku [if nothing else, then for the exitement that arose in the crowd during]
    Dooku vs. Obi Wan
    Dooku vs. Anakin
    Maul vs. QGJ [desert]

Out of all of it:

Maul vs. Obi and QGJ
    Vader vs. Luke [ESB because of the reveal]
    Vader vs. Obi [ANH because of the meaning and the lines]
    Yoda vs. Dooku
    Dooku vs. Obi and Anakin [It's really one battle any way]
    Luke vs. Vader [ROTJ bad fighting. Luke sux with a lightsaber. Great meaning]
    Maul vs. QGJ

All of the battles in ROTS will go near the top, if not on the top when it comes out.

2. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Well, I've always been fond of the "Dooku p0wzrs all" battle from episode II, but if I have to pick the one that I think has the tightest cheorography and editing, it's probably Duel of the Fates. Neeson, McGregor, and Parks really pull together to form a very tight, cohesive battle formation, handing moves off to one another and flowing together nicely.

Here's to hoping that ROTS's Anakin/Obi Wan will rock the Casbah out of all of them, though.

As far as the OT goes, ESB's Luke/Vader fight is beautifully choreographed, and ROTJ power is in the raw emotion the actors channeled in the final duel.

3. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    I used to think the duels with Dooku were the best, but when I recently watched AOTC, I noticed they were far too short.

4. Slaigher

Slaigher Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2005
    giggling my a** off before i answer...DOOKU AND ANIKIN..RIGHT UP TO WHEN HE GETS HIS HAND SLICED OFF.LOL

5. Darth_Innertube

Darth_Innertube Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    Good call, Darth Deception, on rating Dooku vs. Yoda high 'cause of the crowd reaction. I agree - I was blown away when I first saw Yoda come out like that (I was spoiler free) and I was laughing out loud just cause it was so over-the-top crazy, I loved it. Now that the initial shock has worn off, I've rated it lower.

6. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    So far the best PT duel is Darth Maul Vs. Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I loved the speed, Mauls rage, the look of a red double bladed sabre vs. a blue and a green saber.

The fact that it takes place over a large area and several levels just enhances the duel.

Darth Maul was a rather empty and borring character but he was marvelous at combining martial arts, the force and saber skills to a new level of perfection.

7. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    mual vs obi and qui

8. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    The Duel of the Fates Thus far, the best put together sabre duel. For impact though, yeah, Luke and Vader in ESB still rules. But there's still a few fights left, we'll see where they stack in the 'all time'.

9. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    Here my list. Caution spoliers if yu haven't seen the trailers or webdocs.
    I'm going by what we have seen so far.

1. Obiwan vs. Anakin ROTS-From what we have seen this in trailers, the new tv spots, webdocs, and the illegal back in black footage from last year is already going to be better then all the others. We've been told it clocks in at 12 minutes making it the longest fight in the entire series and maybe the longest sword fight in Cinema history. It has more of emotion then the Luke vs Vader fights becuase although those were son vs father in reality, Vader didn't raise luke. This is really closer to a father vs son thing because Obi had raised anakin for 13 years of his life(including the crucial period of adolesnce). They be throwing some punches, from the trailers Anakin is going to try to choke ben to death. From the little we have seen it is already better then all of the others as it should be. We have been waiting 25 years for this match up.

2.Luke vs. Vader ESB- The best of the OT and until rots the best of the OT and PT. Luke gives Vader his all and Vader just whups him. Once Luke finaly gets a hit on Vader Vader goes beserk and disarms him and chops his hand off. That little move is probably the nicest piece of swordplay in the OT and maybe in the series.

3. TPM- Duel of the Fates
    Technically brilliant from a swordsmenship point of view, but lacks the emotion of the ones above untill it's Obiwan v Maul 1 on 1.

10. Doctor_SuperJedi

Doctor_SuperJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    I actually liked Luke v Vader in ROTJ the best, even though ESB technically had the most "amazing" brawling in it.

Reason why is because I enjoyed seeing the emotional interplay going on in it. I wasn't too big a fan of the drama in ESB concerning Luke and Vader, and probably because I was so young when I saw it. The revelation, for a kid anyway, isn't nearly as sweet I imagine as it would have been for someone older and more keyed into emotional response. So unfortunately, the revelation was cool but definitely wasted on my youth, so I don't appreciate nearly as much.

But the Luke v Vader in ROTJ really struck a chord with me, even as a young person. Just seeing how far Luke had come was great to me. He was able to stand up to his father in that one, and I think it was especially evident as they duel near the stairs and Luke gives Vader the side kick (again, he did it in ESB too), but then of course we Vader deftly flip onto his feet, absorbing the blow. But the final part of it, the wailing and the music and the howling... oh that still sends shivers up my spine. That battle is it for me. The ultimate expression of what Star Wars is about. Luke at once goes into extreme anger, but then transcends all of it at that final moment when he has the epiphany. Beautiful duel, even if the choreography wasn't focused on being "technical."

After that, I'd say the TPM duel is the most "entertaining." It's beautifully constructed, the only thing that detracts from it is the anonymity between the characters... Qui Gon and Maul have nothing to say to each other. But oh well, it's still great to watch, and it really shows off Jedi and Sith swordsplay to the hilt.

EPII had good stuff, but it was all under 5 min total I think. Very short. The Yoda Dooku duel was very appropriate and important to see, however.

I'm sure EPIII will just have the best stuff to offer. Looking at all the spoilers, this stuff will have your technical AND emotional stuff all in one package. Obi vs. Anakin... I too have been waiting for a long time... not quite 20 years, but I think I'm as restless as the rest at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.