main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greatest Musical Moments in Film History

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth-Lutgerous, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Main Theme from Superman

Rainbow Connection(Reprise) from the end of The Muppet Movie.

The various fight music from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The lobby Scene from The Matrix

As for LOTR, my favorite is when Gandalf and Company are running through Moria on the way to Kazach Doom(sp). The re-statement of the central theme from Fellowship is, like the Throne Room(ANH), absolutley majestic.

2. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    *Resists Urge to be a Geek*

*Fails*

:-B

Um, technically, Moria IS KHazad Dum... they're names for the same place in different languages.

But if you're talking about running for the Bridge of Khazad Dum (Beginning of track 13 on the Soundtrack) then I totally agree with you... that track was all I bought the CD for in the first place. (Then I discovered the other 17 were almost as good.;) )

I would also suggest Ending music (and probably main theme as well) from the Back to the Future trilogy... a really great ending piece!

Probably the first usages of the Danny Elfman themes for Batman and Spider-man in their respective movies, as well.

And finally 'Frodo of the Nine Fingers' from the animated ROTK movie to remind us that no matter how much a Soundtrack stinks, it could always be worse.

3. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    "Frodo of the nine fingers and the ring of doom..."

[face_laugh] Good Point [face_laugh]

4. ArthurClavin

ArthurClavin Jedi Master star 1

Jun 23, 2003
    Heh. I love the minstrel and his song and would have preferred something folksy and corny like that in the recent LOTR films.

AC

5. Bounty_Hunter_Boba

Bounty_Hunter_Boba Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2003
    Psycho: The Murder

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Truck Chase

The Omen: Ave Satani (main theme)

Star Wars: The part when Luke fights Vader in ROTJ

Jurassic Park: The brachiosaur sighting part

Batman: The part where Batman is going up the bell tower

Lord of the Rings: The part where the Rohirrim are about to charge Pelennor Fields

There are more, I just can't put my finger on them at the moment...

EDIT: Moria is the name for it in the tongue of Men, and Khazad-Dum is in Dwarvish. :-B

BHB :cool:

6. TsavongLah8

TsavongLah8 Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2005
    Ditto

7. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    I need to see the Godfather soon since you guys have listed it as having great musical moments. I can't believe I haven't seen it, and I watch good movies.

8. Darth_Sassin

Darth_Sassin Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2005
    In Star Wars: (favs are bolded)
    Ep I -"Duel of the Fates"

Ep II -Anikan/Padme love theme
    -Duel of the Fates reminiscent music which played when Anikan was searching for Shmi
    -The verison of the Imperial March that played as the clone army was deploying (just before Akikan/Padme wedding)

Ep III -The whole movie had great soundtrack, but to name a few
    -Mace Windu's confrontation on Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious
    -March that was played as Anikan and the clones entered the Jedi temple
    -"Anikan's Betrayl"
    -"Enter Lord Vader"
    -"Anikan's Dark Deeds"
    -"Anikan vs Obi-Wan"
    -The cut/paste version of Duel of the Fates which was played during last part of Yoda vs Sidious battle
    -"Battle of the Heroes"
    -"The Immolation Scene"

Ep IV- Celebration on Yavin and End Credits

Ep V- The Imperial March just as we watched Lando Calrissian (sp?), and Darth Vader, prepare the carbon freezing tank for Han Solo
    - The Imperial March as Vader intered rebel base on Hoth
    - Music which played when Yoda lifted the X-Wing from the swamp

Ep VI -Imperial march after opening credits
    -Imperial march leading into Emperor theme on Death Star II
    -Emperor's theme
    -Music that played during Luke's and Vader's final saber fight
    -Both the original, and newer celebration music on Endor followed by end credits

9. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    How about in Conan the Barbarian, as he destroys the temple of Thulsa Doom?

10. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    The Enterpise, where Kirk gets his first look at the re-fitted NCC-1701. I have never looked at that scene with a straight face. Not after a friend told be it's a striptease.

For my favorite musical movie moments:
    The Fellowship of the Ring-the scene where they run through Moria to the bridge.
    Star Wars:Throne Room/Finale
    Return of the Jedi: Death Star music. Where the fighters fly in and out. And the Victory Celebration from the SE.
    Grease: We Go Together
    Jesus Christ Superstar: The transition from "Trial before Pilate" to "Superstar.
    Star Trek 4: The Hospital Scene. And the End Credit sequence.
    The end of Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom.
    Air Force One:eek:pening Credits

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I'm going to have to go with Adagio for Strings in both Platoon and Gallipoli.
    Though they were both different versions of the song, they were used so well.
    Platoon: When Elias is legging it from the VC. The way that cue just cranks up so loud when he gets 'fragged' was brilliant.
    as for Gallipoli:
    The scene before the final charge. All the troops sitting in the trenches waiting for the wistle to blow.

12. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    ANH - Binary Sunset.
    ESB - Asteroid Field.
    ROTJ - Battle of Endor II.
    TPM - Dual of the Fates.
    AOTC - The Force theme (I think) that transforms into DOTF, when Anakin goes looking for Shmi.
    ROTS - The DOTF Cut and paste during Yoda VS Sidious

Raiders - The Miracle of the Ark
    Temple of Doom - Spike Room/Bug Tunnel
    Last Crusade - Ending, riding into the sunset

Jurassic Park - All of it :D :p But mostly the helicoptor ride to the island!

Back to the Future II - When they burn the almanac!

Aliens - When Ripley is strapping up to face the Queen, going down the elevator!
    Alien 3 - The music that plays through Hicks and Newt's Funeral.

HP and POA - Buckbeaks flight and Main theme (hedwigs?) from all HP flicks

ROTK - Minas Tirith and Lighting of the Beacons

Just a few of my Favourites!

13. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Platoon: Adagio for Strings in G by Samuel Barber being played as Sgt. Elias Grodin (Willem DeFoe) is gunned down by the VC, as the helicopter takes off without him...very moving

14. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Charging Fort Wagner (Glory)

Gandalf and the Rohirrim charge Helms Deep (Two Towers)

15. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture - "The Enterprise", I'd say cinema's greatest moment musically and in general.
    Star Wars - the end of "The Battle of Yavin"
    The Final Conflict - when Damien is defeated
    Psycho - "The Murder"
    Stargate - when Daniel Jackson sees the Stargate for the first time, and when Ra gets killed
    Edward Scissorhands - "Ice Dance"

16. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Charging Fort Wagner (Glory)

Ark! How could I forget this one!

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Also, any time the Indiana Jones theme starts cranking.
    Especially when Shortround bollocks that little kid in Temple of Doom and pulls the dagger out of the Indie doll.

18. stradman

stradman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2002
    I would have to agree with the use of Barber's Adagio for Strings. The piece alone is one of the most beautiful pieces ever written for a string ensemble.

19. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    Kung Fu Hustle- Decree of the Sichuan General AKA The fight between the three kung fu masters and the axe gang

especially the part where the axe leader is going to throw the match on the mother and son, that just won me over the music was so exhilarating!

20. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Not so much a great music moment, but it kind of fits the category.
    In Ray, I love the scene when Ray Charles first plays "the mess around" in the recording studio.
    Very nice indeed.

21. Estaban

Estaban Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2005
    Maybe my favorite movie music moment is in Die Hard when the robber get into the vault and Beethoven's 9th Symphony is playing, specifically the 4th movement known to the world as "Ode to Joy".

22. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    Great Music Movie Moments so far.
    I am surprised no one brought this up yet...

Braveheart.
    There are about a 100 great moments.
    But one i love is when the littel girl give wallace the "flower" thing at his dads funeral.
    and the music as he sees his dead wife at his "torture"

seriously, braveheatr has some of the greatest music moments in film...as does all the ones you've mentioned.

Oh, and to the person who hasnt seen Godfather or Platoon...what are you waiting for!! hahaha

edit: that was also a great call about the ending to a muppet movie

23. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    What no one's mentioned this one yet?!

Titanic:(by James Horner)

Song-"Rose"
    Scene- When Rose goes to Jack on the deck and says, Hello Jack, I changed my mind

Song- "Hymn to the Sea"
    Scene- When Rose jumps out of the lifeboat and goes to the clock and Jack is there. Jack asks why she did that and she replies You jump I jump right?. Then also the scene where Rose dies an old lady in her bed and we see the Titanic come back to life and Rose is now with Jack once again.

Song- "My Heart Will Go On"
    Scene- Ending of film

24. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    There are some great moments in Braveheart (like the beginning and the secret marriage) even though they are not as memorable as some of the other ones listed. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

This reminds me since you gave a Horner score, even Titanic had great music moments! The portrait scene with the piano part was fantastic as well as the last sunset. Willow had some great moments as well (like when they first set out from the town).

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Purely a Star Wars list here..

TPM: Anakin Destroys The Battleship, Darth Maul's Death, Qui-GOn meets Darth Maul,Activate The Droids, and Qui-Gon's Funeral

AOTC: Dawn of the Empire, Jango's Escape, The turn of Anakin's Theme into Imp Mmrch at the end of the credits. Lovely little "oh no, they're doomed" feel there.

ROTS: Anakin's Betrayal, Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (especially when it goes all choral when they're on that tower thingy going down the lava flow) Grievous Speaks With Lord Sidious, the Force Theme statement in Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith, Anakin's Dark Deeds, Padme's Destiny, and the CD end credits with the Throne Room statements in it.

ANH: Ben Kenobi's Death, Trench Run, Binary Sunset, Throne Room.

TESB: Battle of Hoth, Hyperspace, Rescue from Cloud City, Aboard the Executor.

ROTJ: The Dune Sea Battle, The Emperor Arrives, Into The Trap, The Dark Side Beckons, Darth Vader's Death, Light Of The Force, and Father & Son.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.