main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Greatest Science Fiction Films of the 21st Century

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I liked Oblivion, but it's not nearly as good as Moon.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh no it wasn't.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Coruscant like this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I want to say Titan AE but quite frankly I can't remember it well enough to know if it was good or bad.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Good concept and in places gorgeous animation, but lacking in the story department, IMHO.

Sarge and Ender Sai like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, guys, I've been told Titan AE has a good idea and looks beautiful but was not well executed story wise. So please disregard.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Also, it came out in 2000 so including it would invite horrendous levels of pedantry.

Rew, Sarge and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, you're not one of those ordinal curs, are you?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Me personally? No. But you know they'd swarm.

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, let's keep Titan AE in the 20th century where it belongs.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Sunshine was 2/3rds of a good sci-fi movie, but that serial-killer third act...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I like the description of the third act as it "turning into Event Horizon."

soitscometothis and Rylo Ken like this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I really wanted to like that movie.

soitscometothis likes this.
  13. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    How could you not include GOTG in your superheroes list when it's Marvel's one and only space film(although YMMV)? It's definitely more of a sci-fi film than Spider-Man 2.

Darkslayer, Rew, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I would say The Martian is the purest example of sci-fi. It stands for "science fiction" after all. It's a story that is almost entirely taken up with scientists of one kind or another using the principles and methods of science to achieve their ends. It's literally a piece of fiction about science.

As to Gravity, I think it fits most comfortably in the little genre I like to call 'mostly garbage.' The Martian was everything Gravity wanted to be and should have been.

15. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    No it isn't. Spider-Man 2 has some kind of attempt to explore "science" and at the very least uses "science" as the main plot device. GotG is an adventure movie.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No Timecrimes, Primer or even Looper? What do you have against time travel, you monster?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Well....no. When we think of science fiction, our tendency is to think of this, stories set at minimum, hundreds of years in the future and full of handwavium magic.[​IMG]

Gravity, The Martian and, to an extent, Interstellar are all trying to skew more to this, with varying degrees of success.
    [​IMG]

The Martian does the best job and gets the closest to that real world feeling, but I really don't think its at all accurate to call, Gravity, The Martian or Interstellar science fiction. They really should be categorized as space fiction. as opposed to sci-fi.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, does it matter what "we think about when we think about sci-fi?" I mean, I'm just talking straight definition of the term: science fiction. There's no real necessity for it to be fantastic or anything. I mean, I might say that I'd flip your terms. To what degree is Star Trek really about the science? Maybe it should be "space fiction" whereas something that really engages with the science on the kind of granular level that The Martian does should be "science fiction." But I'm mainly just being contrarian. :p Though I would certainly call the Martian science fiction.

Looper was a fun experience, but the longer I lived with it in my head, the less I liked it. At this point, I kind of hate it. End of the day, I'm not sure the Paul Dano stuff wasn't the best thing in it. Though I do like that incredible shot the first time the kid takes out the bad guy, when he's got the guy up in the air inside the house.

I'd like to be the pretentious indie guy and bring up The One I Love, one of those super obscure arthouse movies with Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss. But it was absolutely dreadful. Sometimes "indie cred" really blows up in your face.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I like Looper until it suddenly becomes Carrie.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Regression. That's the time travel movie to end all time travel movies.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Hm. Between Regression and Timecrimes, I'm starting to think my home country produces some really good time travel movies. I had never stopped to think of that.

Coruscant and Rylo Ken like this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Now if only the bread could be improved.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    On what planet is Interstellar not science fiction? It's a movie set in the future about mankind leaving Earth because of a climate apocalypse and engaging in space exploration through wormholes, with relativity constantly affecting it, and then everything ends with an interdimensional time-space nexus thing.

But it's not science fiction because the spacesuits look too realistic?

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Guys....just because a particular movie isn't mentioned it doesn't mean that people think it's not sci-fi.

JoinTheSchwarz and Coruscant like this.
  25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Night at the Museum is NOT science fiction.