main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greatest SW opening scene>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by mattalgrand, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattalgrand

mattalgrand Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2003
    For sure, the greatest SW opening scene is ANH. It gives you goosebumps.

My second pick would be JEDI, then ATOC, then EMPIRE, and lastly MENACE.

2. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Indeed, ANH have the best opening sequence ever im a SW movie.

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    The place for lists is really the SW Community board, but if posters care to go in depth and discuss the reason they think its the best opening, I think this will fit more in this board.

4. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I like the ANH opening scene the best

I think i like it the best largely because it gives you a preview of everything that's going to happen in the rest of the trilogy. Lots of action and sweet as hell characters. My drama teacher once said that when it was first released in 1977 when the star destroyer flew on screen accompanied with Lucas's new brand of sound the entire crowd got goosebumps and many cheered

ESB's opening scene is hardly anything to gawk at, although the rest of the film more then makes up for it

The ROTJ opening scene is very nice, it gives you a quick run-down on the situation the Empire is in and helps give you the feeling that the final battle is at hand

TPM's opening scene isn't bad but not a whole lot happens in the first several minutes

AOTC's wasn't bad either, i love how the queen's ship gets destroyed, the way it explodes is awesome

But ANH by far has the best opening scene IMO. It really lets you know that your about to watch an action sci-fi adventure with anything you could ask for

5. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I think AHH's is the best also. It's the only one so far that actually begins violently, right out of the shute. AOTC does so too but not as quickly.

I remember seeing it for the first time in 1977 as a kid and it still gives me chills today like it did when I was a child.

6. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    I think ANH's opening scene is the greatest in movie history.The opening scene(s) of Raiders Of The Lost Ark is (are) a close second.

7. Darth_Sacrilicious

Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    ANH's opening is one of the most famous shots in film history. For an opening, it's probably second only to Citizen Kane, in historical terms. To truly put it in context of the greatness, you need to put it outside of star wars and look at it in terms of it's effect on film and what hadn't been done before at the time.

On a personal level, when i saw it in '77 my mom gasped when she saw the shot, I asked her what was the matter. and she said, "I've never seen something like that before"
    no mother gasping jokes, please.
    btw, this is post #100.

8. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    ANH
    TPM (Hey I like Jedi)
    ROTJ
    AOTC
    ESB

9. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Definately ANH, its the one that sticks out most in the mind. It evokes great memories of when I was younger, and then there's Darth Vaders introduction - Awesome :D

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    ANH is classic of course, and really great. However, I also love TPM when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon remove their hoods and Obi-Wan says "I have a bad feeling about this"... classic SW stuff :D

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    ANH has the best opening.

12. jediknight_2033

jediknight_2033 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2002
    A New Hope is by far the best opening scene because, for most of us, it was the first scene you ever saw of a Star Wars movie. It was the scene that you first saw and said "WOW! This is really cool!" This is the scene that started your love for Star Wars.

13. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    A never ending spaceship...in a never ending battle.

ANH's opening scene is not only the best in SW, but one of the most amazing, beautifully crafted movie opening of all time.

14. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm going to conform with everyone else and say that ANH's is the best. The first Star Wars movie (chronologically speaking), and it starts off with a bang. The audience is immediately introduced to this galaxy far, far away by seeing two new spaceships, one new planet, and a battle to top it all off. The opening crawl describes the civil war, then the moment it ends we actually see it for ourselves. We are introduced to the two main sides of the war, four main characters, including the two droids, and several other elements that will play important roles later in the movie, and indeed in the saga (Star Destroyers, stormtroopers, rebel troopers); all this takes place within a few minutes. It's an utterly classic scene.

ESB's is, in my opinion, rather dull. It's simply a Star Destroyer launghing probes. Nice artistic way of doing it; almost complete silence, showing the relentless, methodical way the Empire hunts down the Rebels.

ROTJ's is great for the first shot of the incomplete Death Star, one of my favorite images in the saga. There's something hauntingly surreal about it. Good music, too.

TPM's is a great looking one. We have the Republic Cruiser and Trade Federation battleship, two well-designed ships, and ones that have the prequel design feeling, while also including traces of the OT design (especially in the Republic Cruiser, one of my favorite ships). Behind this, suspended in the endless, silent, black expanse of space hangs this green orb of Naboo, which we can't begin to suspect how important a role it will play.

AOTC's is also very nice-looking, while also giving the audience the foreboding feeling of danger the rest of the movie will carry. Coruscant, the bright, sunny, vibrant place of TPM, is now shrouded in fog and unclear. There's something almost sinister about the shots of the Naboo Royal Cruiser flying through space into Coruscant. It's one of the darkest in color, and in all is rather unsettling.

15. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TESB
    TPM
    AOTC

16. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    ANH was the best with it's slow silent music between the scrolling text and the appearance of the first ship which suddenly you hear a roaring past the screen (must have surround sound, if you have not seen it at the theater) and lasers firing followed by an even larger ship that seems to keep growing and growing.

17. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    A New Hope by far has the best opening. one large ship chased by another both fly over the camera for true scope. brillent. an instant hook if ever there was one. who can look away.

18. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    ANH is a classic moment in films. In 77, we'd seen nothing like it. Today, when we are bathed in cgi and fx, it may seem simplictic, but that opening sequence is still powerful and visually striking!

19. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    Tantive IV chased by the Devastator above Tatooine in ANH... :D

20. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Well, ANH, of course :)

Coming in second would be AOTC, for me. The buildings sticking up through the fog are quite beautiful. I like the way the camera reverses and flips between the first and second shots, too.

Gotta love Vader's arrival on the Death Star for number 3.

21. elfnmatrix

elfnmatrix Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2003
    1. ANH
    Its classic...
    2. ROTJ
    Vader seems so dangerous in this scene....a well directed scene
    3. TPM
    I guess cuz it was the movie everyone was waiting for so the opening scene just felt great
    4.AOTC
    pretty solid...I liked how it opened with a literal bang
    5. ESB
    Pretty boring

22. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    AOTC had the best opening. It grabs your attention, which none of the others did except for ANH.

ANH would come in next, it really has suspense and keeps you guessing.

TPM starts off slow, but picks up a few minutes in.

ROTJ. Desert. Droids. Talking. Not saying it was bad, but not as gripping as the above mentioned three.

ESB. Boring. 'Nuff said. :p

23. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    ESB - I just love the probes appearing from the Star destroyer. It is beautifully shot and looks incredibly realistic, and I love the way we trace its journey to Hoth before it slams down on the surface and the probe droid appears.

Of course I love ANH opening, my dad said he'd never seen me so wide eyed and silent when the SD first appeared, but as an adult ESB just sends tingles down my spine.

24. moby

moby Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 1999
    ANH is by far the best. Stunning to look at, and conveys almost everything you need to know quickly - little tiny ship (the republic) is getting its ass kicked by endless ship (the empire). perfect.

I'd put TPM second. as an opening for all six movies it lays the groundwork pretty well. jedi solve disputes, have special powers, and use lightsabres to cut through walls and robots.

25. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    ANH has byfar the best opening. Loud, bomastic, action packed. All the other SW films had quiet, subdued openings. Hopefully, Episode III will change that trend. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.