main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greatest SW opening scene>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by mattalgrand, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    I really liked the ROTJ opening scene. Gives you a feeling of dark peace, and the music really helps. Basically, I like everything about it

2. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    A tie between ANH and AOTC.

ANH: well, that's a classic. The first reaction everyone gets after watching the scene: :eek: :eek: . The impact hasn't changed after all those years.

AOTC: beautiful, mysterious, the fog on Coruscant and it literally opens with a bang. It's the turning point of the saga.

Then,

ROTJ: the opening scenes is one of the greatest scenes of the movie: it's dark and really connects with the end of ESB. It's a pity the scenes after the brilliant opening scene are totally ESB opposite. :(

TPM: I love the opening scenes: very nice digital painting of Naboo + the blockade. Great music and great action.

ESB: not that much, but still, it's a creepy opening scene. It really settles the mood of the movie.

All of the SW opening scenes are great.

3. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Gotta go with TPM. The beginning is pure Star Wars, pure fun.

The rest would go in this order for me:

2. ESB
    3. ANH
    4. ROTJ
    5. AOTC

4. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    ANH for sure

And if you where able to see it for the first time as 8 year old on the big screen, it is utterly mind blowing. You think this ship is so huge is it ever going to end, and you know that tiny ship has no chance.

Then the blast door get blown and in comes the bad guys closely followed by Vader, the best opening movie scene in the history of movies.

5. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    ANH: The very first thing we see is a ship being chased down by this huge battleship! Then, an army of strom troopers board the captured ship, wasting everyone in thie path! And this really evil looking guy comes aboard, and everyone in the room stops.

No wonder Darth Vader is considered an icon of evil by moviegoers!

Watching 2 jedi (in their prime) taking out a room full of battle droids would have taken TPM over the top...it there wasn't so much (necessary) set up time.

6. data68

data68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    I must concure. ANH has the best opening scene of all time. It also tells the audeance right away why the movie is called Star Wars.

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I like the AOTC opening scene the best. Then ANH I like how it opens up on with Vader's ship fireing on Leia's. Then ROTJ seeing the 2nd DS was just cool. Next comes TESB it was ok, same with TPM.

8. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I'm basing all my "opening sequences" on a five-minute mark, so all of these sequences include more than just the scenes in space.

(1) A New Hope: This opening never gets old. Screen silence after the title stops scrolling, then the view of Tatooine, then the two ships roaring past the screen. This is by far the most impressive special effect sequence of the original trilogy (the flawlessness of the models still amazes me) and the sound is incredible. Then immediatly following the shots from space we meet everyone's two favorite droids, R2-D2 and C-3PO, followed by a blaster fight and the appearence of Darth Vader. Definately the best opening sequence EVER.

(2) The Phantom Menace: A nice cinematic shot from space, followed by the appearence of Darth Sidious and an amazing battle sequence showing the uber-coolness of the Jedi Knights.

(3) Attack of the Clones: I like how the scene is different than all the others by panning up instead of down. Not a big deal, but still neat. And I love how the camera catches Coruscant in all it's business as we see Padme's ship roaring past the screen. And I love how the ship spins while flying (we don't see many other ships doing that). Then we head into an impressive explosion sequence, followed by a conference between the Jedi and Palpatine.

(4) Return of the Jedi: I remember my excitement when I saw the Death Star again. I was amazed that it had returned. And then seeing Darth Vader doing his badass thing and giving orders to cowering Imperials brings a smile to my face. The next part is slightly more dull, as we only see R2-D2 and C-3PO walking through desert terrain and entering the palace.

(5) The Empire Strikes Back: I love the visuals of the Star Destroyer deploying probe droids and the high shot of Hoth, but ultimately this sequence isn't as snazzy or exciting as the other ones were.

9. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    A New Hope is awesome. I have to go with the majority and also say that. I'm not well versed in cinematography yet, but I do have to say it was awesome, seeing something like that in a movie that I know was made in the day. ;) It was a special moment. We got introduced to everybody, almost. We find the conflict, we meet Leia, we see this huge spacecraft... it was simply beautiful. Very nice and lovely. That door blowing open with Vader... that was something. He carries around him such a huge presence, this giant persona that seemed to fill up the movie screen. He entered, and you knew he wasn't going to be a minor character that gets killed off, no, no, this guy is going to mean something to the movie. He will be a reason the movies were made. It's such a wonderful opening in the fact that it reaches out, grabs you, and pulls you roughly in for a long and enjoyable ride.

ESB. I liked the way it was done, sort of like a haunting image. For some reason it stayed with me. Flash. Flash. I love it.

ROTJ: now, this one showed us that Empire was rebuilding. We saw the movies were going to end with this, that it a sort of ominous wail. It foreshadowed, you could say, the rest of the movie in that it was incomplete and then it was destroyed. We saw the end at the beginning. The thing was going down. There was no way it could stay.

TPM: A nice shot, I suppose. We got the cruiser and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. It's great in the fact we actually see the connection between the OT in Obi-Wan. It's stunning because we're thinking "What is Obi-Wan going to look like?" and he comes in. A nice way to start the PT, and we're introduced to a conflict almost similar to some Empire sequences. It's fimilar.

AOTC: I thought this one was actually poorly done. I didn't like it. I don't think it made a real eye catcher. We're not interested in Padme. We want Anakin. It was a nice opening for that movie, but in contributing to the entire saga, I don't think it did well. I've always thought of the openers as sort of relating to each other and moving the movie along, but I didn't get the feeling for this one.

-Krystal

10. Amanamans_staff

Amanamans_staff Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2003
    I'd have to say AOTC is the most beautifully done. I dislike some of the CG in the new films, but the Queen's ship in this sequence is really well done...

Plus what earlier posters have said about the pan up rather than down, the sense of foreboding etc. makes this one unique for me.

11. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    Episode 3 of course! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.