main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Greek Mythology at the Movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I was shocked, saddened, and completely blindsided to learn that The Legend of Hercules has 0% on Rottentomatoes. Usually those 300 ripoff/Greek Mythology-raping movies make it into the high teens at least.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Harry Hamlin in Clash of the Titans or GTHOTB.

Katya Jade

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Yeah the Ray Harryhausen era, that was a golden age, never to return. RIP old man. That's one reason to watch the Oscars this year, to pay my respects during the grim reaper montage.

To me, Greek mythology will always look like classic stop-motion animation.

Jason and the Argonauts

Sarge likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Also, don't forget:

The new one doesn't look much better than that one, which may explain the 0%...

VadersLaMent and Jabbadabbado like this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Let us never forget the unforgettable

[​IMG]

Hercules in New York.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    dp4m, It's a good point. Kevin Sorbo cannot be blamed entirely for setting the bar so incredibly low.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It always wounds me deeply that the genre that ought to be the best instead attracts the worst, stupidest, valueless nonsense to ever grace the screen.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It was a guy whose classic atire (and behavior) resembles a stereotypical cave man more than anything. And idiot is being celebrated by idiots. Seems appropriate to me.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's a strange thing. Everyone seems to agree that Greek Mythology is incredibly cinematic, otherwise these movies would not be getting made, yet everyone also apparently agrees that it is not cinematic enough, because radical alterations are always necessary. Maybe there is a fear that audiences cannot be surprised and entertained unless the title is some kind of bait and switch maneuver.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh. I think it's that despite the potential and promise of Greek mythology, it's been done so much that the truly talented film makers don't bother with it: leaving it for those with serious creative deficiencies. They're not clever for sticking with the tried and true, and they're not clever enough to change it up in a way that's actually interesting (for that, you have to go to the stage, where adaptation of Greek drama still lives on with verve and energy).

It's just an action spectacle. And if I remember correctly from the trailer for his movie, it had some sort of inane gladiatorial thing somehow.. in Egypt? Well Gladiator was good a decade and a half ago, let's keep trying to rip it off!

Yeah my pain about this genre is not merely that nobody does mythology accurately and with respect, but also that it seems the refuge if talentless hacks.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    What?? Renny Harlin also directed Deep Blue Sea, the finest horror action movie about genetically engineered sharks ever made.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes I hear that movie contained biting social commentary

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, I think part of the problem is that we have an outsized reverence for Classical civilization. That gives some of its images and available allusions huge cultural currency. But most people being predictably unfamiliar with the actual details of the stories they "like" there's a fair amount of revision required to make something that's genuinely appealing to them. You don't tend to see this dynamic as much when a more culturally native story is at issue, like all the hugely successful and relatively straight re-tellings of the Three Kingdoms Era exploits in China. It's easier to make work because they already bring a sensibility to the characters and themes that the audience has actually inherited, instead of the ones it merely wishes it had.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Given the popularity of Spartacus, maybe we can finally get a true-to-the-myths story about the extreme lengths Zeus went to in order to get laid on the down low [face_mischief]

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    What are the best Three Kindgom movies? The only one I've seen is Red Cliff.

16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    What What

17. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    The orignal Clash of the Titans is certainly much better than the piece of junk Louis Leterrier called a remake. Even the novelization (by Alan Dean Foster, no less) is pretty good.

Edit: Apparently COTT was set to have a sequel in the mid 80s focused on Aeneas, but it never went into production. Really, though, I don't see how the proposed "sequel" could have been called such unless Aeneas was meant to be a descendent of Perseus.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't know how many movies there actually are. But there are huge number of long-running television series and comic books and things that just seem to lay out the stories as they happened.

Well, "happened" I guess.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    In general I grit my teeth every time I see a movie or tv show that tries to ape the look of 300 or the dark rainy bluish look of Underworld, or combine 300 and Underworld into a grungy hybrid comic-myth-horror "style". I'm looking at you, I, Frankenstein. Poor Aaron Eckhart, a talented actor relegated to the roles that not even Karl Urban or Paul Bettany will touch.

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It's a good thing that one guy who praises movies everybody hates/hates movies everybody loves has been blacklisted by RT, so it has a chance of staying there.