main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Greek politics thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Dec 11, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, we all know what de-politicize means. They're not even hiding it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Chyntuck likes this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What's the reasoning for privatizing the electricity grid?

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Probably that some German company is ready to buy it on the cheap?

EDIT: Other than the hashtag #ThisIsACoup, which is trending worldwide, this is going viral on Greek Twitter:

[​IMG]

Lord_Anzeroth and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Now I know why I like Greeks.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't like the implication that I really enjoy Ewok food.

Alpha-Red and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    'Government-run institutions are inherently inefficient, and given the large debts owed selling assets is required' would be my guess.

I doubt those in favour of austerity have much time for a national-interest argument for keeping essential utilities.

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Sentients are for dark rituals. Otherwise, as far as I am concerned, an Endorian chicken gyros needs to be a thing.

This comes from somebody who is turning a small Greek coastal town into a place near Abatore, Vagran. GFFA is Balkans, k? :D

8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    That's a poor pretext when you're asking a country to do it by Wednesday (not 'you' you, 'you' someone). I'm betting my right hand there's a buyer already lined up who will pay a fraction of the value. This is what happened with every single privatisation so far.

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Same here and, in many cases, whatever they purchased would be repurposed.

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yup. Because Balkans and all that.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    And then people get fired, or - worse - are kept at their jobs with no salary for months, years. I am not sure if you guys have a law against that, but I hope that, as an EU country and all, you do.

Also, who owns the land? Can, say, a foreigner buy a piece of land and not just rent it?

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In light of the vast structural reforms they are proposing at this pace, I should doubt any legal protections of those sort pose a meaningful barrier.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyway the obvious better comparison is TPM, with all the EU people as Neimoidians trying to get Queen Tsipras to sign the treaty. Varoufakis is obviously a handmaiden. Who's the decoy? Hard to say!

Also Donald Trump is Jabba the Hutt, and has basically nothing to do with the main plot except he likes presiding over stupid entertainment events and fashioning himself a planetary leader.

And Obama is Valorum mostly so everyone can be all THANKS VALORUM

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It's especially appropriate in that, after finally getting the leaders of Naboo into their custody, they abandoned the idea of signing the treaty and decided to just kill everyone instead for no reason.

SuperWatto likes this.
  15. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

After almost 12 hours of negotiations, that is very likely!

Unless they resort to 'aggressive negotiations'.

EDIT: AN AGREEMENT HAS BEEN REACHED

[​IMG]

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Actually, isn't it wealthy, tax-dodging Greeks (as opposed to the other 95-99% of the population, who have been driven into poverty) who are buying up much of the privatized stuff on the cheap?

Edit: also, there are reports that Tsipras called the Referendum hoping Yes would win so he'd be off the hook when he caved in to Eurogroup demands.

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Greece has 48 hours to achieve a program, which took Thatcher 8 years to do in Britain.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But you know how conservative those Britts are
    :p

19. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    That has been mentioned several times by many newspapers. In essence, the supposed plan was to ask for a referendum, YES to win and Tsipras to agree on the same terms as today. That way he would prevent any political backlash he might face by the NO voters in hope of a better deal than this one.

But it didn't and thus he went to the negotiations in order to achieve a better deal, only to result in agreeing to a worse deal than that of January.

Apart from all that, there are rumors that elections will take place in September, due to the fact that SYRIZA is so fragmented right now.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    One thing I find particularly stunning is that the deal would eliminate laws about stores being closed on Sundays. Those rules are considered almost sacred in Germany.

21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't really understand why that has to be in the deal? Still there's note a mandate that stores have to be open on Sundays, so the store owners can still close if they want to.

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Makes no sense to me either. You'd think Germany's liberal party, the FDP, were running the talks, but they're actually nearly dead, not even represented in the Bundestag.

23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The "agreement" is packed with so much nonsense that there's no way it can be implemented. The timeframes are simply ridiculous for the targets that have been set and this will just result in a bunch of laws that exist only on paper, like many laws in Greece (and trust me on this, I'm a lawyer -- most laws here exist only on paper).

The most ludicrous bit must be the privatisation of €50 billion worth of assets (for reference, under the terms of the previous bailout, the target was €22.5 billion by 2020 and actual so far is €4.2 billion). Every single person in that Eurogroup meeting knows that the €50 billion are a pie in the sky, but everyone is pretending that this is an agreement. It's not. It's a sad farce. In a few weeks, a few months tops, we'll be living last night's Grexit drama again, and with a more fragmented political system at the national level.

Bear in mind that the so-called agreement isn't a bailout agreement, but an agreement on prior actions in order to start bailout negotiations. Apparently it's essential that Greek shops open on Sunday for customers that don't have money in order for negotiations to start.

I'd be surprised if we don't find out in a few years that today is the day when all European governments and opposition parties started drafting contingency plans for returning to their national currencies, just in case something goes wrong. The worm is in the European apple now.
    Both Greek oligarchs and multinationals, actually. In the case of the electricity distribution grid, a German company is the most likely scenario because that's the pattern all around Europe and because our oligarchs don't do electricity in the first place, but of course this may be an opportunity for them to diversify :p

yankee8255 likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    This is going to breed so much resentment in the long term. I think your GD fears are warranted. I don't know what the EU thinks it's doing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    An agreement that is not an agreement - sounds like I've just tumbled down a rabbit hole after Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee. :rolleyes: Politicians will do anything - sacrifice anyone - to save their raggedy backsides. :p Financial/economics majors in uni could have drafted better ideas/viable options without putting the regular citizen through a coronary waiting for the second shoe to drop. [face_sigh] Does that at least help liquify funds/pensions? [face_nail_biting] And Chyntuck - I am on tinterhooks wondering what this does to your own personal plans in Sept. :eek: [:D]

Chyntuck likes this.