main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Green Lantern fan film

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by LiamMcBrackenbard, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiamMcBrackenbard

LiamMcBrackenbard Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    This is something I have wanted to sit down and try to do for a while now, and since I now have the time to focus on it, I'M GONNA DO IT! But first, I would like to get some helpfull suggestions from the fans out there about some things first. I already have a costume design in mind, but if you have one that you think totally rocks , throw it at me. Also, and this is the big one.......Which GL should I base this on? Hal? Kyle? Jon Stewart? G'nort? ok maybe not G'nort. But if Im going to do this Im going to do it right and make something that fans will acutally want to watch. So Let the ideas start flying!

-Also, does anyone know if there has been a GL fanfilm done already?

2. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I can't pretend to know anything more about the Green Lantern than I learned from the two crossover episodes he had on the old Batman series.

Oh, wait. That's the Green Hornet. Um.

Why not try a flick about the Green Lantern's regular life? Y'know, the trials and tribulations that a superhero could go through in one particular day. It would save you some money on costumes, because as I recall, the Green Lantern would have pretty steep costume requirements.

3. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    I've had an idea about a doubtfull GL wandering through an alley right after he recieves his power ring and thinking "is he the right person for the job?" when he comes across a distressed woman being harassed by a gang and he uses his new gift to save her. That was more for a 5 minute piece I was thinking I could use for the public access channel at my university for a show we air weekly. But I was hoping to maybe do something more with it.

As for the costume, Im looking at something using a black wet suit, some rubber "Jedi" boots I used for my Star Wars fan film I can paint green, a set of Hockey Shoulder pads, and some football forearm guards(Green of course). It looks good on paper so far and I have some of the elements already, I just havent put them together yet to see how they look in the real world..

4. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Jon Stewart. Definitely. I'd love to see a GL Fan film. That would be a hoot.

5. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    Ok Im Leaning towards Kyle....so that brings it up to :

Kyle: 1 vote
    Hal: 0
    Jon: 1 vote

6. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    My vote's for G'nort, just because it sounds cool. Go ahead, say it a few times.

G'nort G'nort G'nort.

7. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    Xtreme design FX for your costume needs. An example of thier Green Latern:

[image=http://www.xtremedesignfx.com/kyle2.jpg]

8. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    I need a new set of drawers for 2 reasons. 1st reason: That is an AWESOME costume! 2nd reason: It costed that dude a lot of money from looking at that site( like around $500 plus)

But on a positive note, I DID purchase their "domino" style mask. $15 plus another $9 for shipping. Not too bad, and they can make it any color, so I asked for Emerald ;-) THANKS FOR THE LINK!!

9. Klix

Klix Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Aside from Star Wars, my other passion is comics.

Hal Jordan was the best Green Lantern outside of the Golden Age(Alan Scott).

I hate Kyle and John Stewart more. Hal Jordan has always been Green Lantern in my eyes.

My advice to you if you're going to go through with this(which it sounds like you are :) ) is to make the film as close as possible to feature length, giving you the ability to introduce GL and flesh him out with the viewer getting a backstory and a well grounded plot(Not too many average joes know much about GL). GL has never been given a film, so you might just be the first to give him the credit he deserves. If you can get the backstory out without wasting much time, then you would really have the chance to expand on the character and even get a few other elements in that would be supported by the backstory.

If you need help with anything, PM me.

-Klix

10. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    He has too been given a film. A made-for-TV Justice League movie that I don't believe was ever really shown.

It's terrible, but it has a saving grace in that in one scene, the Green Lantern uses his ring tomake a giant hand in the air, which he uses to flip off the villian. Woot.

11. Klix

Klix Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2004
    A made-for-TV Justice League movie that I don't believe was ever really shown.

Yeah, I've seen this. It was terrible.

I mean never given a film that did him justice :p

Here's more on that:

click

click

[image=http://www.fortheretarded.com/images/comicjla.jpg]

-Klix

12. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    That looks interesting. If anyone has that on tape or a bootleg or something I would like to see it. I can see where the show failed.....they made the GL Guy Gardner. :-(~

But yeah I am thinking feature length. My first obstacle is trying to tackle down the identity of my GL( Hal, Kyle, or Jon) Everyone knows Hal as Green Lantern so Im thinking that would be a SAFE way to go. But I also kinda like Kyle, he's new he's hip, he's fresh, he's todays GL. And then there is Jon Stewart who has gotten a lot of attention due to his Justice League cartoon. I plan on using Alan Scott in there somewhere, Im thinking as a mentor to whoever the new Lantern will be.

13. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    All I can say is:

Hal Jordan is the one, true Green Lantern!!!

14. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    ok thats 3 for Hal
    1 for Kyle
    1 for Jon
    and um........1 for.......G'nort( which there is no possible chance of happening.....EVER!)

15. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    You can just make a brand new Lantern and any of the other ones (maybe even a villan for a plot twist) as a mentor. That way you can do some creative things with the ring and no one will go "such-and-such would never make a <inster thing here>". It's also be a good way to keep the 'powere levels' low if you can't afford crazy effects for the whole film, since the guy would just be starting out.

16. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Green lantern ring effects would be cool to try... maybe i'll do a test shot tonight....might be fun. Plus....I dont have to texture anything...just make it glowing green!!

17. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    I've heard rumors that Hal Jordan is about to return to the Ring.

<i>Hal Jordan was the best Green Lantern outside of the Golden Age(Alan Scott).</i>

But I like Jon Stewart. He's a badass. But either way, I'm in.

If you need any help, jut LMK.

18. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    Nice thinking covax! And as far as the ring effects go. What I was thinking was that they would be similar to the lightsaber effect with more transparancey and not as much glow? What do you guys think?

19. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    I consider myself a Green Lantern junkie.

The effects can be done. The costume is the problem, no matter who you go with. I'd go with the original GL costume - or make one of your own design - and not use any of the established GL's. Just less to worry about with WB and DC.

Oh, and just to irritate people - Hal sucks and Kyle rules. :D Heck, I'd take "One-Punch" Guy over Hal. ;)

20. Puzzler2000

Puzzler2000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2002
    I've done alot of comic fanfiction, so if you don't mind i'll give you my 2 cents on this.

Ok, let's look at what we have here. Obviously you're looking at either Hal or Kyle. Hal would require airplanes (he was a pilot), his story is based in 60s-70s but otherwise he's doable. Kyle is the easier choice, he's just a teenager(easy) in the city (easy) and you can follow the Spider-Man formula. Effects for either would require heavy CGI. Both could use the great villian of Sinestro if you want to go that route.

Costume-wise you're heading the right direction for either GL. They both have full black bodysuits with GL designs.

The ring's power effects would obviously have to be CGI.

Prop-wise, they sell rings and lanterns online (look at DC Direct) or they can be easily made.

I, preferring Kyle, would do it as follows:

Wandering the streets of New York, teenage Kyle Rayner is found by a mysteriosu floating ring. Unable to stop it, the ring fires a green hand which grabs the youth. The ring carries Kyle outside town. There he finds a crashed spaceship, and in it the alien Abin-Sur, the keeper of the ring for Sector 2814. Abin is dying, and he sent the ring to find a soul it could trust with its legacy. In his final breath he instructs Kyle on the use of the ring and gives him his Lantern, a power-battery which can refuel the ring. For story purposes I would have the ring have a mind of its own, and sortof teach Kyle how to use it as he goes by doing things he doesn't tell it to do. Kyle, very confused, decides to wear the ring and head back to the city. There he learns to use his powers kinda like Spidey did. However, soon the villian Sinestro shows up and begins whomping Kyle and the two begin a short but decent battle between Kyle's green and Sinestro's yellow energy. This serves as a trial-by-fire for Kyle. As they duel, Sinestro reveals cryptic messages about the ring and how he needs it for his evil plans. He also says that he was the one who horribly wounded Abin. Kyle's green ring ends up giving Sinestro a run for his money and the pink-skinned villian decides to flee and recover. At this point Kyle returns to his normal life, pondering over what to do with his new gift. I am unsure what his normal life is like, so I won't go into that. Kyle sees a crime and decides if he can face an alien menace, then surely he can use the ring for good as a hero. He dons a simple black/green suit and goes to work fighting average criminals. He calls himself the Green Lantern after the device Abin gave him. Eventually, the ring or the lantern fires a hologram of Ganthet, leader of the Guardians of the Universe. Ganthet explains that Kyle must travel to Oa in order to meet the Guardians and be fully briefed on his new duties as GL of sector 2814. The ring of course creates a green bubble and leads Kyle to Oa. The Guardians are at first unsure if they should allow another human to be a Green Lantern after the Hal Jordan incident (forshadowing a possible encounter). Ganthet finally talks to them into giving Kyle a chance. Kyle arrives and they tell him more about the rign and about the villian Sinestro. Their systems are alerted that in Kyle's absence, Sinestro has struck again, this time with a more powerful yellow ring which he uses to make a giant Quard knight body for himself. Kyle speeds back to Earth and begins the climatic showdown with the yellow villian. In time more GLs such as Tomar Re, Arkkis Chummuck, and Kilowag show up to aid the fledgling hero. In the end, the GLs haul Sinestro off to prison in Oa. Kyle returns to his normal life, but also fights crime as the Green Lantern. As he fights some villians or just soars across New York, in the background Kyle narrates with his GL oath, which is as follows:

In brightest day, in blackest night,
    no evil shall escape my sight.
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    beware my power.. Green Lantern's light!

If you follow that idea, the sequel could cover Sinestro's escape and attack on Oa itself, the return of Hal Jordan, or a new villian entirely.

Othe

21. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah doing Kyle would defeintely be easier I totally agree, thats why I started out thinking of using him, a snag I found myself hitting early on is that I wasnt sure WHICH villian he should face. What I would like to do is set it up so that some one recieves the ring, accidently discover what it can do by saving a girl being attacked in an alley, have him start going around and doing heroic things, only to have some villian show up and kinda pummel him good. Have Alan Scott show up and instruct him on the history of the ring and its capabilities and limitaions (yellow) and how he was once long ago a GL himself, then have our current GL return to face off agains villian. At the moment Im thinking perhaps the idea of a rogue GL would be best. He attacked Abin Sur to get his ring, Abin passed it on, and now he will kill whoever has it to get it. Match the power of the GREEN rings, leaving SInestro and his Yellow ring for the sequel

22. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    I will have a scan of my costume design on by the end of the day

23. Puzzler2000

Puzzler2000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2002
    Interesting idea, but I'm a little confused why your idea leaves out the Guardians of the Universe, which would be realatively easy depending on how you do them.

Also, if I recall DC got rid of the "weakness to yellow" in the Crisis on Infinite Earths, since it was a relatively crappy weakness to begin with. I can remember a pre-Crisis Superfriends episode where Gorilla Grodd wrapped a Yield sign around Hal and poor Hal was helpless! How lame is that?

I can see your option of waiting on Sinestro, but if you think about it he's no harder than a Lantern effects-wise.

Villain wise, the only rougue GLs that come to mind is either Hal Jordan as the Parallax or Sinestro (he was a GL until they kicked him out, then he stole a Quard yellow power ring). And I doubt using Hal would be a good idea, as many fans hated the whole Parallax thing. If you're going for an easier villian, I'd look at the Manhunters (the Guardians' first attempt at protecting the universe, which were robotic warriors who soon went bad), Fatality (an alien girl who blames a GL accident for the destruction of her homeworld and seeks revenge), or Sonar (a terrorist armed with sound-based weapons).

An option to help diversify your cast would be to use John Stewart to mentor Kyle instead of Alan Scott.

You may also want to research Kyle's social life, maybe the girl being attacked was someone he knew.

Here are good sources for info:

http://dccomics.com/secret_files/
    http://www.glcorps.org/glcorps.html
    http://www.glcorps.org/book.html

Btw, if you would like to chat with me on AIM, I'm puzzler2000x.

Edit: Ok, so I'm wrong. The weakness of yellow was removed from the rings during the events of Emerald Twilight, the 3 part comic plotline that turned Hal into Parallax. Obviously this was before Kyle became a GL, so he never experienced the yellow weakness. Here's a link for more info:
    http://www.glcorps.org/gl48-50.html

24. LiamMcBrackenbard

Jan 2, 2004
    Here is an outline of what I have so far:

Ok, ideas are comming together, this is good. Im getting a better feel for things. Movie starts out with Kyle getting into an arguement with his gf, she leaves telling him that she will meet up with him later at the night club and not to be late. Kyle then rushes off to his job where he is drawing comics for a newspaper or comic book(something along thsoe lines) We go to space where a ship raceshrough the stars when suddenly it is hit by a yellow blast of energy. Abin Sur inside presses some buttons on the controls and zooms through hyperspace in his damaged ship. He emerges from hyperspace and heads on a collision course for earth. Kyle is on the roof of a building taking a break looking over the city when he sees a green streak in the sky that dissapers in the distance. And he vows that some day things will be different for him and he will be a bright shooting star too. At the crash site Abin Sur, dlowly dying form his injuries, activates his ring so that it will find one worthy to take his place. The ring leaves on its quest as Abin struggles to use the computer counsel when he discovers what planet he is on before collapsing. Kyle is lying on a drawing table face down asleep. His cell phone rings and he blurry eyed scrambles around to find it. It's his gf and he's late. He tells her he will be 10 minutes, and rushes out the door. Kyle is running through an alley desperatley trying to make it to the club before his GF leaves when there is a sudden burst of green light and floating in front of him is the glowing power ring. He reaches out to touch it when suddenly he is engulfed in a greenenergy and teleports away to the crash site. He finds the wreckage and goes in to investigate, and finds Abin Sur laying on the floor dying. Abin passes down the ring and instructs him to seek out Jon Stewart with his final breath. Kyle them puts on the ring for the first time and the power surges as his clothes become the GL uniform. He then races off into the night sky.

To be continued....

25. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    Huge Green Lantern fan here. I like Hal but don't have anything against the other Green Lanterns. Why not use Jade? Sometimes she's been handled well by the writers and sometimes she's been handled poorly but you could be one of the people that handles her character well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.