main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Green Lantern, Sinestro Corps, star sapphire and... ???

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Magellan_the_Cat, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    OK, hope this is the right place to ask. If not, please redirect instead of just deleting.

So, the Green Lantern Corps is essentially the police. Got it.
    the Yellow Sinestro Corps are the cop-haters.
    Where to the others fall?
    What role do they have?
    Do they have their own oaths of office/motto?
    Are they even lanterns? Their symbols don't look very lantern-ish

I know they are all tied to emotions now (when did that start? I thought Sinestro's yellow ring was still will-based, but now he's fear-based???), but I don't know which colors get which emotion.

Sorry, I could read about 400 issues worth of comics to dig up the information, but not in the mood.
    Also, I haven't found a simple, comprehensive database with the info.

Can anyone satisfy my curiosity?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What the the colours corps really boils down to:

[image=http://www.juliansanchez.com/wp-content/uploads/mt/carebearsstare.jpg]

3. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    OK, I went and looked it up.

Blue Lanterns have rings powered by Hope, and really are just a supporting army for the Greens, because they are pretty much useless unless a Green Lantern is around. So, the Blues Lantern corps is an organization of side-kicks. Great. Dumb

Green Lanterns, yeah, we know already.

Yellow don't seem to be lanterns, just the Sinestro corps. A bunch of petty fear-mongers who need a hug.

Orange is powered by greed, and there is only one guy, because he's too stupid and greedy to share his power with anyone else. Yeah, great.

Red Lanterns powered by anger. Yeah, they are a bunch of cranky children that need a hug too.

Purple (Sapphire) rings are powered by twue wuv. They aren't lanterns, but Star Sapphires.

Indigo rings are compassionate (I'm not making this #h!t up!!!) They aren't lanterns either, but a sorority from one planet.

White Ring is a ring of life, but totally uncontrolled, or illogical or something (they must need a Vulcan to impose order and control of emotions or something).

Black ring is Death, and likes to resurrect old heroes and make them fight again. And I'm sure that is totally logical... Just like the idea of a Black Lantern...

They have their pledge chants. some are pretty lame.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Well, in all fairness, they can do things like restore dying suns to full power, break the hold that the yellow/orange/red rings have on people, provide the personal protection and flight abilities that all the rings can do. Basically, it's nearly useless for combat, but if your planet had a famine going on or a moon falling on you, chances are pretty good that you'd prefer a Blue Lantern showing up to a Green. They're more of the Doctors Without Borders of the cosmos than the Space Cops.

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    A couple of comments.

1. Larfleeze is the only Orange Lantern because it is the color of avarice (for some reason) and it's actually more powerful the fewer wielders it has. So he's actually more powerful by himself than with a bunch of other wielders, and either way he makes constructs of fallen enemies to help him out.

2. Violet (Star Sapphire) is love, but the Zamarons who are the Guardian equivalents for the Star Sapphire Corps have a skewed concept of love, focusing on the possessiveness of it. Because of this even though the Violet light entity is benevolent the Zamarons are able to effectively brainwash all but a few of the Star Sapphires into crazy people who will do anything to make their target love them (read: they're psychos). It's also stated that it's possible for men to become members of the Corps but it's unlikely because women are more easily able to understand love (which I thought just reeked of unfortunate implications, but then, the Zamarons are an all female sect of the Guardians who left them on bad terms so yeah...)

3. Red is the color of rage, but you only become a Red Lantern if you feel rage because of an injustice happening to you. Once you become one it pretty much turns you into a berserker with little to no coherent thought. It also doesn't have traditional constructs but lets the users spew acid like blood out of their mouths (yeah, I know...). For example, one of them (my favorite because of the weirdness of it) is Dex-Starr, the Red Lantern from Earth who is a house cat (yes, really, now shut up he's awesome). He was named Dex or something and his owner was an old woman, and they loved each other very much, but one day some thugs murdered her, tied him in a sack and threw him into a river. His rage at them for killing his owner and trying to kill him made the ring choose him. Now he can use basic speech and spew blood out of his mouth. I'm fairly certain the Red Lantern rings tear up your internal organs though so if you lose it you die.

3. I don't know much about the Indigo Tribe, but I think the rings were actually all (or almost all) forced onto psychopathic killers and monsters who had NO compassion but then FORCED them to. Essentially it brainwashed them.

You got the Sinestro Corps down right, with a few specific exceptions, and I don't know much about the White or Black Lanterns, and someone already explained the Blue Lanterns.

I remember how Blackest Night made them all appoint temporary recruits. Some made little sense like Barry Allen (Flash) becoming a Blue Lantern, Ray Palmer (Atom) becoming a member of the Indigo Tribe and Wonder Woman becoming a member of the Star Sapphire Corps (seriously, what?), but some were quite clever. They made Scarecrow a member of the Sinestro Corps and Lex Luthor became the second me

6. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Yah know... I think I liked it better when I didn't know.
    The more I learn about this, the more I wish I didn't.

Kinda why I stopped reading comics in the first place.

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Heh

Its going to be rebooted soon anyways

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    NOT the Green Lantern part!

Confusing? Yes. Can I explain it? No. Can someone? Maybe.

9. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Green Lantern comics sell.:p

Notice Batman Inc. is also going to stay and Dick Grayson is Nightwing AFTER his time as Batman. But we have Barbara Gordon as Batgirl! Say whaaaaa?

All of this means that my poor, beloved Mogo is still gone.:_|

10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm not sure how the reboot is really turning out to work. Seems to me they are merging Flashpoint Superman who never had human contact with the main continuity Superman to result in a more Kryptonian Superman. I enjoyed JL #1.

Yeah, the emotional spectrum is silly... but it has made for some damn fine comic books.

11. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Some of the driving forces aren't even emotions.
    "Will" is not an emotion. "Courage" would be better if they make it the opposite of Yellow's fear.