main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Green Screen Footage

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by mystycs2005, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mystycs2005

mystycs2005 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2006
    Is there a place i can get good high Res Green screen light saber footage that is raw, which i can practice on?

Thanks

2. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I have some footage I uploaded for someone else on TFN a while back, it was shot about a year and a half ago when my Star Wars fan film was still underway. It's not ideal, but rarely do you get ideal greenscreen shots in the industry anyway, so it's probably good practice :p This was shot on the Sony FX1 with Cineframe 24, so a pull-down had to be done. It's not lightsabers either, but it could be a fun shot to play with: some roto work at the end, trackers to take out, dark seams on the greenscreen, contact shadows on floor :)

Original 1080i60
    720p with Pull-down.

EDIT: Ah, looks like the 720p24 version cuts before Alex passes off the screen; lucky you ;)

3. mystycs2005

mystycs2005 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2006
    Thanks alot, this will surelly help me learn :) :) Although Lightsaber would be awesome hehe.

4. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    I think I have a clip somewhere of Alex and I doing a bit of dueling on that greenscreen, I'll see if I can get it uploaded.

5. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Thanks for the footage. I was about to ask for this, give a day or so, but now I guess I dont have to. Of course my computer cant handle even the 720p footage, so I had to create a 740x480 comp I beleive it was, and then export the footage(uncompressed I think), then reimport that. I then made a basic 6 pt mask to run around Alex, so I could only worry about keying a smaller area around alex. After the keying was semi-done, I imported the unkeyed footage into blender, and manually tracked it. Of course tracking was hard, since I wasnt there watching the camera as it moved(when Nate and Alex shot it). I ended up creating spheres and placing them on each dot(in the front view, not camera view), then imported the footage as a background layer, and moved the camera every 1/2 sec or so. Once the basic tracking was done, I created a basic wall to see how big my greenscreen replacement footage must be, then imported a few models and made a quick animation. After importing that into AE, I continued to work on my keying stuff, and adding the enviroment. I rendered one quick test, and realized that Alex's head was being cut in the neck and face area, and by the eyes. As a fix, I added another footage layer with a 12 or so points mask, and had to roto his head back on(easier done than said). All that took about an hour or so. I have a version that is semi-decent, I was wondering if someone could tell me what they think. I know the track isnt perfect, but it was manual and ive never done tracking on this level before(or really at all).

http://www.savefile.com/files/1306957 ~500 kbs

Bruce

6. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    You don't necessarily have to be able to play the 720p footage to work with it, especially in the compositing world, since you'll most likely be staring at one frame while you refine the comp, and then go through and check your other frames. If need be, you would create a smaller compressed daily to check things (H.264 at 80% quality is a quick and easy setting, and what we use for our TCC dailies in the PXC) at full speed. Anyway, I would see if you can get ahold of Icarus (I have the Mac version from back in the day) and try that for your tracking. The camera move isn't too complicated. It was a dolly shot with some simple pan and tilt action. I never tried a 3D track of this particular shot, so I don't know how friendly it'd be.

On the compositing end, the matte is a little harsh, so you may want to soften that up a bit. The green spill is also quite noticeable, which we were expecting since we had a green floor as well. So you'll want to pay attention to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.