main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Greens Senators booted out of parliament during Bush speech

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by stinrab, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Gatherer: Probably a few, floating around.

P_o_T, I'm also curious to learn what alternatives to democracy exist. I tend to agree with Churchill, Nyder, that democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms of government...

E_S

2. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    The best form of government is no government, let pure capitalism reign. I will explain my theory at a later date... perhaps I will indulge you all with a thread in the Senate Forum! ;)

3. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Feel free to advocate a plutocracy of corporate powers-to-be in your next post however, I'd be interested to see the defined borders of whatever alternative you prefer.

Ahh, typical left-wing cynicism! ;)

The very reason corporate plutocracies exist is because of Government in the first place. Government is the worst purveyor of monopolies out of them all.

I don't want huge corporations gaining an unfair monopoly. That is why I say seperate all forms of Government from affecting free enterprise.

4. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Gatherer - you mean a society where everyone lives by the rules of voluntary trade and force is never used unless it violates those rules?

Therefore everything is done via mutually beneficial trade and if there are any bad externalities to that trade then the cost will have to be compensated by the parties responsible.

Therefore Government is there only for the courts, police and anything else that the free market won't provide.

Government as it exists now doesn't work. Just pick up any newspaper and most of the articles in it will be about Government stuff-ups.

5. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I look forward to promoting my idea and arguments, I am sure that it will generate heated debate.

Just let me get my thoughts together...

6. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    You need a strong state with a strong defence force to back it up - otherwise all that freedom will mean squat when your neighbours decide to invade!

7. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Yea cos da hereld son had a nrewspoll that asdked if we were afraoid that indonasia would invade in da next 10 years and most people said "omg yes i am afraid" and so am i cos that many ppl cannot be wrong and indonasia is a lot of ppl who don't like us cos we are white and might steal my mommy and sister cos that's what daddy said when he drank all that amber stuff last week. :(

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Your lack of foresight is disturbing.

I guess you should read "Engagement: Australia faces the Asia-Pacific" by Paul Keating.

In it are quotes that the Chinese leadership are jealous of the natural resource that we are sitting on. A country of 20 million, in a content that could seat hundreds of millions.

The world will be facing one of its most unique problems in the very near future... human overpopulation.

As our Asian neighbours realize that they are running out of space... they will be looking towards this sparesly population continent.

To think otherwise that this will happen in the next 100 years is utter contempt, and people living in a dream land and not facing reality.

9. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    they will be looking towards this sparesly population continent.

I don't think you're in any danger, seeing as how much of Australia is desert, and it doesn't easily support habitation.

Don't leave me.
    Don't ignore me.
    Don't kill me!

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, I was thinking that too Jiffers. There's a reason we have the population density we do with a landmass roughly equal to the contigious 48 states of the US...

E_S

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Again, people who lack vision and foresight.

One of the greatest crisis's to envelope the 21st century will be the resource wars... war fought over resources, water, energy, etc...

With one of the most arid, level, desert, sun-soaked land-masses', Australia will be one of the world's ideal places to construct solar-power fields over 100's of thousands of kilometers of land.

And as coal and oil depletes towards exhaustion in the latter stages of this century... dry, sun-riched flat land will be a highly fought over commodity.

But I guess for those types of people that look only at the very present or the past, they have trouble predicting these things...

12. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I agree wholeheartedly that the wars of the 21st century will be fought over resources. However, I think Australia will be fighting to get the most precious resource we have - water - instead of fighting to keep it. Water is something we are low on now, it could quite conceivably be worse in 50 years. We have a huge landmass, but not nearly enough resources to sustain a population any larger than we already have. Our neighbours are aware of this, and it'd be downright stupid to flood Australia with another 50 million people, because there would be not nearly enough food or water for them.

13. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    How potential natural resource problem in regards to water can be solved by man... we have gas pipes spanning the nation... why not water pipes?

The amount of water that falls during the wet season of the Northern Territory can be piped down south to help the areas that go dry during the summer months.

14. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    But then again, none of you have experienced a Wet-Season in the Northern Territory, let alone seen an Aboriginee in the Northern Territory, so how can I judge?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Aborigine, dude. Aborigine.

And I know plenty of aborigines. I did the walk for Reconciliation across the Harbour Bridge on crutches.

E_S

16. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    But then again, none of you have experienced a Wet-Season in the Northern Territory, let alone seen an Aboriginee in the Northern Territory, so how can I judge?

You'll be back soon, so I'll repeat myself so you don't make this silly mistake in the future. Yes, you're not the only one who has travelled north before my friend, and yes, I spent many repeated episodes up in Darwin during the time my uncle lived there, and he only moved back in 1998. So for basically 8 years I've travelled up there and back, cumulatively more in all probablility, than the few weeks you've been up there.

And I'll again, repeat myself. Just because one can sit in the local pub and listen to the idiot hicks rant on about how black people will destroy the world, does not make one an informed authority on the region or it's socio-economic/ethnic issues.

Oh, and go Bob Brown, you legend. Ha.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Agreed on all counts save the Bob Brown remark.

To quote the Prince Regent, "But he's a complete arsehead!"

E_S

18. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Actually, I don't go to the local pubs! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.