main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greenscreen spill suppresion.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Hi guys. I need to do some greenscreening for my fanfilm. I remember someone posting a really cool method for doing spill supression in after effects. It may have been wixmmm, but I'm not sure. If that person could post their method, and maybe an example or two, that would be great. Thanks guys.

2. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    there is a spill supressor in after effects, but its bad for action seqs. If you want to do it your self go ahead, otherwise I could do it for you in a second or two

3. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Yeah, that was me.

First, you take your footage then key it... key out ALL THE BAD GREEN. like, choke it to the point of where your key looks really distorted, but there is no spill.

Now take the key WITH the spill and put it under the one you just did. (the overly choked one)

Now go to color balance and adjust it to compensate for the green (aka get rid of alot of the green balances, to where it looks good to you)

That's it and you're set.

You have the pic that was all messed up, but this is the pic I did for you back then, compare it to your try to get the idea.

[image=http://www.wixmmm.com/test.jpg]

Cya
    Mike

PS: EVERYONE GO DOWNLOAD MY MOVIE (Metal Gear Solid thread)

EDIT: oh yeah, it also helps on your messed up overly choked key (the topped one) to soften the edges alot so the top one blends well with the bottom one... the example above could use some more softening on the top layer (if you look close you can see)

PPS: GO DOWNLOAD MY METAL GEAR SOLID MOVIE (Hey, it has greenscreening in it... and I'm answering questions.

4. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    Yeah, Wixmmm actually prompted (inspired) me to do a bit of an in-depth tutorial on possible Spill Supression with the Basic After Effects package.
    And wonder of wonders, I even had some inspiration form you Pixel ;) I dropped your name in there too.
    Spill Suppression Tutorial
    Take a look to get a more visual representation of it all.
    :D

5. NSH

NSH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Nice tutorial! Friends and I are beginning work on a fan film and this will greatly help.

A friend has an old copy of after effects 4.1, so hopefull we can get everything done in that :)

6. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey, thanks guys. That was a picture of me, but I also did one of my girlfriend. She has curly hair and long hair, so I thought I would give it a shot. I think I did pretty good with retaining my own hair detail in the first pic. Anyway, I'll try my girlfriend next. I haven't had a chance to try those tutorials yet, but I will soon. Let me guys show you the problem I am talking about. Do you guys ever have these problems with your greenscreen keys? Wixmmm, could you possible try to key out that image? I'd be interested in what you come up with?

Greenscreen Pics

7. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    yeah tell me about it I painted 20 by 10 feet of pure neon green pait in my basement to do a green screen.

I always have an ugly green glow around the objects in front of it.

8. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey, DarkATX, I just got around to looking at your tutorial and that is quite sweet! I think I'll give that a try. Just have to figure out how to adapt it to Commotion. Hopefully, that will get rid of my green color bleeding problems as well as it does spill.

9. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Pixel, you've got Commotion now? The Pro or DV version? If it's the Pro version, there shouldn't be any trouble at with greenscreens since it includes Primatte, Image lounge etc. In my opinion, some of the best tools to get the job done, including the Composite colour matcher which matches the colour levels of one layer to another.

10. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Yes, I have Commotion Pro. The above example that I did of greenscreening myself was done using Primatte/Composite Wizard as a matter of fact. Still, Composite Wizard's spill suppression tools don't take care of everything in my shot. BUT, look how fantastic that Primatte does with Mattes. IF you notice toward the front of my head, it even kept the strands of hair. It's amazing. I'm betting the DvKeyer from DvGarage is slightly better though. But Composite Wizard's Color Correction Matcher and LightWrap rule.

11. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    With Commotion Pro you should be able to remove the spill using Spill Killer or Spill Killer EZ. They're designed specifically for such a task. It would probably take a bit of tweaking, but you should eventually get the results you're after.

12. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I really don't think the problem I'm having is Spill, I think it's Color Bleeding. Basically, the greenscreen is doing a REAL lightwrap around my head, which makes it diffcult to key. Perhaps I should use a less instense green color.

13. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    I just had a play with your pic, and yes it is difficult. You're right about it being a bleeding problem I think. Are you using a single ccd camera? As the problem seems to be a result of how the original footage looks. Unless the pic you posted has lost a bit along the way due to jpeg compression? I'd try using a bit more light on your face.

I've only tried compositing greenscreen footage once with Commotion, and it came out like in the pic below. This was a still taken with my Panasonic MX300 DV camera. Although I think I used a bit too much LightWrap, and had the edges too blurred. But it was just a test. There was actually spill on the side of my friend's face also.

[image=http://www.avene.org/RichardComp.jpg]

14. Ranka_Jaade

Ranka_Jaade Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    One thing that I have noticed about keying over the years is that:

The brighter the screen, the more spill there is. One thing that nobody thinks about it that the subject should be brighter that the screen behind them or colored light shows up on them. Your green screens don't neccessarily have to be neon intensity.

Look at Lucas's screens, there not that intense, some of them look kinda dull really.

If you shoot against a dull screen and have the subject illuminated from either side then the spill should be less perceptible.

Hope it helps

15. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    That is pretty dang good. And yes, I have a single CCD camera. I think with a Sony VX-2000, i could pull much better composites. And I agree, I would tone the lightwrap down. I use the following settings for my lightwrap.....

Transfer Mode: Screen
    Blur: 10
    Blend With Original: 75%

It just needs to be a sutble thing, but as with all effect, I know with me anyway, I want to make my effects SEEN, instead of realistic.

16. Obi-Timbo

Obi-Timbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2001
    Well I just got home from studying for a final tomorrow, and then I noticed your picture and had to give it shot before I went to bed. It was fairly difficult to key, especially the outline of your face, my results came out ok. You can check it out here:

Pixels GreenScreen

I used Adobe After Effects and had to combine the Dvmatte keyer with Ultimatte, I would like to try composting you into the background you used though..... :)

Tim

17. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Obi, that is IMPRESSIVE. How did you get rid of my green color bleeding. I must know so that I can finish a shot in my fanfilm. The only complaint is that the coloring is kinda off on the side of my face, and it dimishes my dashing good looks :p

Disclaimer: I am not good looking.

18. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Obi, I uploaded the background to the same web page. Although, I shouldn't be showing the image. It's a matte painting for my X-wing which flys over Hoth in my fanfilm. OH well. Anyway, have a go at it....

New Greenscreen Page

19. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    Here's one that doesn't look too bad. More could be done, but these are just some basic settings. Settings in Commotion Pro:

1: GreenScreen Key (Default settings)

2: Spill Killer EZ, Range=20%

3: Light Wrap, your settings, 10%, 75 etc.

[image=http://www.avene.org/PixelComp0001.jpg]

20. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Wow Avene, that is a great composite. Perhaps you could tell me how you got rid of the green and such. Man, I suck at greenscreen compared to you guys.

21. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    Just use the settings I've listed there. It seems the basic greenscreen keyer in Commotion works better than Primatte for this shot.

22. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    interesting...I'll try that, thanks Avene.

23. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    No problem. Now I hope the whole clip works for you, and not just that one frame :)

24. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Due to you guys showing me up with greenscreening, I had to show you I can run with the big boys too. :p

Seriously though, I tryed Avenes spill suppression. It helped alot. But, I still used Primatte for the composite. Anyway, scroll down and look at my second attempt. I think it's much better. Thanks for the help guys. My composite still isn't like I want it to be, but an improvement none-the-less.

My Second Attempt

25. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Any suggestions on getting rid of the rest of the blue? If you can't bring up the web page, I would suggest you try using this link. Just copy and paste into your browsers.

http://www.geocities.com/night_sky_vfx/greenscreensecondattempt.jpg

Gosh, Obi, I was just looking at yours again, it looks great. I wish I had the DvKeyer. But I don't have the cash for it right now (between jobs and all)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.