main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greenville FanForce Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, NC' started by Boba_Fett_of_Nine, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    All right, so let me get this straight - You like Lord of the Rings, but you don't like when the telephone rings. Engagement rings are OK, but scary. The ring in the toilet isn't that great, but Steve Austin, The Ringmaster, kicks @ss. Onion rings taste yummy, but Ringo Star wasn't the best Beatle. OK, I think I got all that. :p

2. Master_Dante_Jarmeck

Master_Dante_Jarmeck Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    best movie so far, deffinately SIN CITY!!! that movie rocked balls! it was creative and mindless at the same time terriffic movie if you love violence, if you dont... stay home you will hate it.

3. The_Green_Ranger

The_Green_Ranger Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Anyone heard any news on Lucusfulm releasing the whole prequal trilogy on dvd? I just read that the ROTS dvd will be out in time for Christmas with lots of extra scenes. You know he'll release a trilogy of them though, hopefully with another disk with loads of extras...

4. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    Probably do the six pack next Christmas, but who knows

Kevin

5. The_Green_Ranger

Nov 18, 2004
    didn't even think about that, the'll probabaly release a prequal my 2nd quarter next year, and a 6-pack trilogy 3rd or 4th quarter in time for Christmas '06.

6. The_Green_Ranger

Nov 18, 2004
    Saw the midnight showing of Batman Begins last night/earlier this morning. Freaking awesome. I won't spoil it but there is one thing I didn't like and it was something to do with the editing--not the actual story or anything. I will explain after you have seen it.

7. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm hoping to catch it early next week. My wife wants to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith and I think Bewitched comes out soon too and she really wants to see that. I may have to battle to get to Batman. :p

8. The_Green_Ranger

Nov 18, 2004
    yeah, I've gotten through 2 of the many movies i wanna see this summer. (not in any order)

Star Wars ROTS-Saw it 3 times (so far)
    Batman Begins-have seen it
    Fantastic Four-wanna see it
    Charlie and the Choclate Factory-wanna see it
    Land of the Dead-wanna see it
    War of the Worlds-wanna see it

I'll wait for Dukes of Hazzard and Bewitched until dvd and I rent them. While they may be funny, I don't wanna spend the money for the theater.

9. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well I joined up with the Blockbuster.com thing where they mail you DVD's to check out. I did the cheapest one. It's like $10 a month with unlimited rentals, but you can only have one movie out at a time. Then you get a coupon for two free rentals at an actual Blockbuster store every month also. Since my wife and I usually can't watch a movie (and actually pay attention to it) until the kids go to bed, one movie at a time is about our speed. Hopefully we'll finally get to see everything we missed this summer, and last summer, and the summer before that, and so on. Let's just say I finally saw Kill Bill, Vol. 2 last week and Meet the Fockers the week before that. :p

10. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I hardly ever go to the movies anymore and now that it looks like I'm going, it appears I'm going to be dragged to the new Harry Potter movie. I'd rather be drawn and quartered. I cannot believe my wife enjoys these books and movies so much. Isn't there just some weak romantic comedy chick flick she could take me to instead? :oops:

11. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Dal, it will be ok. Think about it from her perspective. Everyday it's Star Wars this and Star Wars that...

At least that's what my wife would say along with "you owe me"

You know you'll have a good time inspite of yourself. :)

Kevin H.

12. The_Green_Ranger

Nov 18, 2004
    My friend Jason and I had a bad experience the other day when we went to see Saw 2. It was #8 theater at the 3:20 show last Tuesday. We went in and waited and the commercials came on. We immediatly noticed something wrong with the sound. ONLY the right front speaker next to the screen was working (no surround). The subwoofers were not working and it sounded like all treble. The only speaker that would work was screeching and loud. Think of playing a stero blasting with all treble and no base and putting your ear up to the speaker. Once the trailers started soming on it began to work again. Then when a trailor went by it went out again and into the movie it was still horrible. It hurt the hell out of our right ear. Less than 10 mins into the movie we said screw this and went to complain and get our money back. (For us part of the theater experience is the sound quality, and it took something away from the movie for us). We went to the ticket booth ands told the girl. She called the mgr and told him and hung up. She said that he said "that's just the way that numer 8 theater is, it can't be fixed. Do you want your money back or do you want to see smething else." Of course we got our money back. What pissed us off abut it is that she literally said "it can't be fixed" what kind of BS is that? If it couldnt be fixed then replace the freaking thing..ya know? They make billions, it's not liek they can't afford it. Before we went in I went to get an application for a job. I went up to the ticket booth and there was a mgr looking guy standing there and the ticket girl. I asked the guy if he was hiring and he said "yeah" So she handed me an app and I asked "do you know what kind of hours you're looking to hire for?" and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "oh well sometime between open and close...mostly weekends." And I was like.."okay" I was thinking he was kinda being a smart-ass I mean I kinda figured sometime between open and close, I just needed something more specific. Anyway that's my rant for Carmike. They had better get that theater fixed or they're gonna lose a lot of money.

13. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    That's the problem when you don't have any competition. I took Alex to go see Chicken Little this past Saturday. The movie started at 5pm. We got there early, 4:45pm and wait to hand our ticket to the guy to get into the actual theater. He told us they weren't seating yet and that there was a line waiting to get in. Well, we got in the line 4:55pm and were about 15-20 people back. It turned 5pm then 5:10pm. Alex and I went and asked what the hold up was, and he said he didn't know. We were finally moving at 5:20, got in and watched the movie and when I came out, I saw the kid that was taking the tickets and asked if he ever found out what happened. He told he still didn't know and pointed out the manager. Curiosity getting the best out of me I talked to the manager and asked what happened. He sighed and said we had a little problem. I told him it would have been nice knowing that we would have to wait, and that it was a good thing we didn't have plans for after the movie. He looked at me and said, "well if it was going to be that much of a problem, I could have always asked for my money back" It wasn't what he said, but how he said it, in a very smart-a$$ way. I told him he was lucky I had my son with me. He just turned around and walked of.

I called today to complain to the General Manager, who was pretty friendly, but said, they had a couple of other complaints about that manager and he was going to talk with him.

Sorry about the speaker problem..

Kevin

14. vswader

vswader Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    moving from a large city with four major complexes within 20 minutes in any direction was awesome...also for the fact that one of the theaters had a digital cinema and i was able to cherish every scene with fandom.....and then moving here was bit of a culture shock for me...much smaller city with ONLY one theater...and since it is the only one to accommodate at least 40,000 people the theater should really spruce it up a bit...first complaint...how could they not accept credit cards ...and on top of that check cards they charge 99 cents...that is just so petty...still waiting for an answer back about not accepting credit cards. the other "beef" i have is the amount of previews/commercials played prior to the main event...i have seen three movies so far and an average of 25 minutes is a little excessive.
    anyway, those with kids, i definitely recommend the movie Zathura....just great fun around every corner. i will be viewing the new harry potter film with my older son hopefully (actually my son is standing here next to me now saying..."what do you mean hopefully?") ....definitely this weekend. He is looking forward to it. anyway...may the force be with you!!!

15. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I think I remember reading that some new movie theaters are going to go up at Covington Downs when that development is built and I seem to recall they were not Carmike, so that will be nice.

16. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Woo-hoo! I think I got out of Harry Potter! She didn't realize it was going to be opening night Friday, so I don't think she wants to deal with all the opening night hoopla and crowds! I may get dragged to it later, but I've dodged the first bullet.

17. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well I caught Pirates of the Carribean on Tuesday. Pretty entertaining, though they seemed to cram a lot into it. This one basically ends on a cliffhanger, but a cool one. Oh BTW, can I just reiterate how hot Keira Knightley is? And that accent . . . =P~

18. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I watched The Punisher with Tom Jane last night. It wasn't too bad. The dude kind of reminds me of Lorenzo Lamas though. I never read a lot of the Punisher comics, mainly when he crossed over with Spidey or something. The way his final plot came together was kind of hokey. I would've thought he would take more pleasure in killing his enemies than tricking his enemies into doing it, but I don't know the character that well.

19. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    The Carmike is running ads in the paper that they're finally doing digital projection! Go figure! It's amazing what a little competition in the market can make people do.

20. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    XXX: State of the Union - So I recorded a bunch of stuff on a free Starz weekend and if this movie is any indication, I totally wasted my time recording stuff. I wasn't a huge fan of the first XXX, but it was goofy, fun, blow 'em up entertainment and it sort of grew on me with extra viewings on FX. But this sequel sucks beyond compare. I generally like Ice Cube in films, but this was horrible. The movie couldn't seem to decide if it wanted to appeal to the straight action crowd, the black crowd, or even the crowd that enjoyed the first XXX. The movie just feels all over the place and no place is interesting. Willem Dafoe even blows in this and his plan to wipe out everyone from the President on down the chain of command until he gets to be in charge is ridiculously lame. He plays the Secretary of Defense which according to the movie puts him 5th in line, so he has to wipe out FOUR people ahead of him to reach his goal! Anyway, the CG FX look really cheap for such a big budget sequel and while I'm fine with suspending disbelief for films, this one has about a half dozen "yeah right" moments. If I get to watch something for free, I generally don't care that much if it isn't that great because the price was right. But I'm actually offended I wasted 2 hours on this flick.

Bewitched - I really thought with this cast, this movie could be entertaining on some level, but what a let down. I suppose this was supposed to be a romantic comedy, but it wanted to be unconventional. It just ended up sort of a mess. Ferrell flip-flops between his normal over-the-top self and a reserved, kind leading man, making both seem out of place. Kidman is her normal hot self, but her witch character is more of a dumb blonde than an out-of-touch witch. There are a few smaller plotlines that never seem to be truly explored, particularly Michael Caine and Shirley MacClaine's relationship and her true identity. Either way, a disappointment on several levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.