main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greetings from Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Archive: Ann Arbor, MI' started by JayTee_Erricck, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Greetings, Everyone!

I hope y'all don't mind me posting in here but I just wanted to invite everyone to my humble new website, http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com . I have posted pix taken at Celebration III in the Gallery section. There are only 4 pages of pix so far but I plan to post MORE as time goes on, including pix of Star Wars-related events right here in Hawai'i.

I met a lot of great people at Celebration III. It was a great experience for me. I hope most, if not all, fellow Star Wars fans in attendance can say the same!

If you look through the photo pages, keep an eye out for Todd of Edwardsburg. In my humble opinion, he did Michigan proud with his awesome "Anakin Skywalker" costume at CIII! If anyone on this forum knows him and/or how to contact him, please share the above link with him. Heck, please share the link to my website with all your Star Wars fan friends & relatives!

May the [Good Side of the] Force be with you.

Jay Tee

P.S. If the button links at the top of the webpages fail to work, please try the links across the bottom! Thank you!

2. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanks for sharing :) , I'll look over your site when I have a bit more time.

3. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    A couple of our own left for Hawai'i not too long ago. Maybe they'll bump into you.

4. JayTee_Erricck

Aug 2, 2004
    To Midnight Guard

I hope you like the pix!

To Capt Piett

If I bump into the transplanted Michigan folks here, I'll let you know!

May the [Good Side of the] Force be with you!

Jay Tee
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

5. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Couldn't help but notice that you spelled Hawai'i different than the way I'm used to seeing it spelled.I'm assuming that your way is how the word is really spelled in Hawaiian.Is the pronunciation of the word any different as well?

Sorry for asking,but I'm a geek and I'm curious. :-B

6. JayTee_Erricck

Aug 2, 2004
    Hello, Idgie!

I'm glad you noticed. The apostrophe looking thing is known in the Hawaiian language as an "okina". I'm not exactly sure which way it's supposed to face (tail swinging left as with apostrophe "s" or swinging right........forgive me, I don't know too much about the Hawaiian language although I would like to learn more...). However, in the last few years, I have noticed that newspapers in Hawai'i have been more & more sensitive to the proper spelling of our state's name (thus the use of the okina, pronounced "oh-KEY-nah"). The name of our state, if I'm not mistaken, is pronounced "Ha-VAI-ee", with a slight, almost imperceptible pause between "VAI" & "ee". The rules on pronouncing the letter "w" like a "v" aren't quite clear to me. For example, I usually hear the area name "Waikiki" pronounced with a "w" sound, not a "v" sound. I'm not sure if a vowel has to precede the "w" for it to be pronounced like a "v".

If I learn more, I will be happy to post here to let you know.

In any case, many people even here in Hawai'i still spell the state name without the okina. Many (including myself) still pronounce it with the "w" sound, often times because non-locals may not understand us if we don't pronounce it that way. I left the okina out of my website's URL because I figured it would make it way tougher for people to remember it & people may mis-type it if the address were dictated to them.

Please forgive this long-winded response but I hope it clearly answers your question(s). Let me know if I've confused you.

May the [Good Side of the] Force be with you.

Jay Tee

P.S. Just for the unawares, Hawai'i is not only the name of our state but also the largest of our chain of islands. Personally, I live on O'ahu. Most people in our state refer to the island of Hawai'i as "the Big Island" to help avoid confusion. Just F.Y.I..

7. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Don't be silly!Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. :)

So,it looks like the two 'i's are pronounced differently within the word.Is that common in Hawaiian language and if so,what's the rule(s) about that?

8. JayTee_Erricck

Aug 2, 2004
    Hello, again, Idgie!

I'm not aware of the pronunciation rules regarding the letter i in the Hawaiian language. However, I think the okina helps to distinguish the seperation between syllables. Many people around the world may pronounce Hawai'i as "Ha-wa-ee" but, as I believe the okina hints, the proper pronunciation is "Ha-VAI-ee" (Hawai'i).

Again, if my knowledge of the Hawaiian language grows, I will pass along a little of what I learn here.

May the Force be with you.

Jay Tee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.