main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gregory Peck 1916-2003

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by Katya Jade, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    From entertainmenttonight.com

[image=http://images.etonline.com/Media/gpeck_030612_univ.jpg]

Hollywood has suffered a great loss with the passing of famed actor GREGORY PECK, who died in his sleep last night in his Beverly Hills home. Peck, who was in a fragile state, fell asleep while holding the hand of his wife of 48 years, VERONIQUE. He was 87.

Peck starred in many of the best-loved films of all time, but was known fondly for his unforgettable, Oscar®-winning role as a small-town lawyer defending an innocent client on rape charges in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' (1962).

Peck will also be remembered for his presence -- the tall, lanky frame and dashing, dark, good looks that projected strength, sincerity, and intelligence. Born ELDRED Gregory Peck, the actor dropped his first name, which he said he "endured and hated for 21 years," when he embarked upon his acting career.

Born in San Diego, CA, in 1916, Peck ventured to Hollywood during World War II, and earned notice as a mental patient who romanced Dr. INGRID BERGMAN in ALFRED HITCHCOCK's 1945 thriller 'Spellbound.'

By 1947 he had already earned his third Oscar nomination for 'Gentleman's Agreement,' a hard-hitting movie that exposed anti-Semitism in America. The handsome Peck also played a great romantic lead, and in 1952 starred opposite AUDREY HEPBURN in 'Roman Holiday.'

Other memorable appearances included award-winning performances in 'The Yearling,' 'Twelve O'clock High,' 'Cape Fear,' 'The Omen' and 'Moby Dick.'

More recently he starred opposite JANE FONDA in 1989's 'Old Gringo.' He also earned a Golden Globe at age 82 for his work in the 1998 miniseries "Moby Dick."

He is survived by his wife and five children -- all whom he considered the greatest gifts of all, as he once told ET: "Love and marriage and kids, those are the moments of all happiness and fulfillment in life. I don't know anything better than that."

:_| RIP Gregory! He was a brilliant actor and will be sorely missed.

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    :(

I'm never good with these sort of threads.. :\

Just a sad thing... :(

~ James

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    :_|

My friend told me about this earlier today. I was so saddened. He was one of my favourites of all time!

I guess it's nice that he got to see Atticus named the #1 film hero of all time by AFI, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.