main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greivous Clone Wars vs Greivous ROTS

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Maphisto86, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    If this is a thread already made then please feel free to delete and point me in the right direction. After seeing Revenge Of The Sith I had to question a lot of the inconsistencies between the film, the expanded universe and what makes sense. [face_sick]

Overall I think Episode III was not a failure but a success. It wasen't perfect but a good ending. Besides Anakin's too abrupt turn to the dark side my only other problem is with General Greivous. After seeing the Clone War's series and comics it seems Greivous lost some of his fighting prowess when he fought in Episode III.

I was especially disturbed after reading Maddox's review of Revenge of The Sith. Even though I finally came to my own conclusions which where opposite from his.... I had to agree that Greivous came short of the "bad-ass" villian he's made out to be? Is it because of his injuries inflicted in battle against the Jedi taking their toll? Or did Lucas screw up in the Obi-Wan vs Greivous scene?

P.S. Greivous's name shouldn't have been so blatantly obvious. It would have been much more cool if it was altered and made more alien like "General Gri'vass" or something like that.:cool:

2. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    Clone Wars Geivous definatly cooler.

3. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Cartoons deal in exaggeration. Everything in CloneWars was stylistically OTT. Mace, Anakin, ARC Troopers, Obi-Wan; everyone was 'cooler.'

4. Al_Kenobi_83

Al_Kenobi_83 Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2003
    I think his reason for his cowardy behaviour is merely his scare of the two Jedi he has before him.. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi! Either that, or simply, Palpatine needed Anakin and supposedly Obi-Wan (if Grievous killed Obi-Wan then, Anakin would surely have killed him out of rage, but not in the right time for Palpatine to act as the Sith Lord). Grievous could supposedly kill Obi-Wan when Palpatine had control of Anakin and was far away, or when Anakin was far away and Obi-Wan stayed behind, killing him in a second "fake" attempt to kidnap Palpatine.

What do you think?

5. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I think that's asking for Palpatine discussion and will take this thread off-track.

6. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I remember being really disapointed in episode 3 when Mace was pushed out of Palpatine's window and didnt jump three miles into the air to safety...Lucas is so incosistent compared to the cartoon. :rolleyes:

7. jolle_bindo123

jolle_bindo123 Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2005
    I[face_alien_1] think that Greivous was much cooler in clone wars, no one could touch him, then in episode 3 he gets kill by a blaster. That gust brout eps III down a few stars.

8. General_Grievous_x

General_Grievous_x Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    I liked ep III grievous a lot more than clone wars. I loved that he was craven and that only fought battles he knew he could win. A true general, going in and wasting 4 jedis is cool but does not fit in to the characters personality well. I also didn't care for the monkey way he fought in the show, when he used his feet it just looks stupid. I noticed since the movie came out they have been adding more and more dumb crap to his character on wikipedia. Like how he took care of boba for a bit after the clones wars started, WT*? I don't want a super bad ass there are plenty of those i want a unique villian whos downfall isn't his arrogance. The onyl compalin i have is i wish the obi grievous saber fight had lasted longer.

9. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Definately. And they took short cuts in the fight in the way they showed Obi cuttings his hands. [face_tired]

10. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    You all realize that the cartoons can't be taken at face value like the movies can, right? Otherwise, Mace should have been able to remove Palpatine's skin and break all his bones with a simple wave of the hand. The cartoon is sorta like a chessy matinee version of the movies. It's like the Ken Annikan's "Battle of the Bulge" movie versus the real battle. Now, it's clear to me that Grevious was pretty deadly at some point since he didn't buy those lightsabers he fought with on Ebay. In any event, it was excess fan hype before ROTS that made him out to be more than he turned out to be in the movie. I don't recall anyone at LFL claiming GG would be a superk3wl badazzzzzzzzz jedikilla. Finally, keep in mind that he was up agianst two of the greatest Jedi ever in ROTS, and he still almost got the best of them on a few occasions. He caught them on the Invisible Hand, which, had it not been for Anakin's master piloting skills, would have ended them both when it crashed, and he had Obi-Wan disarmed and hanging on for dear life on Utapau. It took a heavy dose of luck for Obi-Wan to destroy him when he did.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The diffrence between CW Gervious and ROTS Grevious is too large to explained away by exgeration. If that was the only problem, then people would be asking why all the other guys aren't as strong either.

It was a complete personalitly flip. He went from fearless to cowardly, and slient to talk too much. He also gained a hunch back.

Finally, grevious's fighting in CW didn't seem nearly as over the top as the other characters. He wasn't destroying armies with the force and jumping up mountins. He just was a great stragist (even his lightsaber fighting was all about unusaul fighting styles. he beat the Jedi because he broke their confidence and used unorthidox methods to get arounf their defenses. I liked how much he used his feet, climbing on the wall "his feet were made for that), crushing Jedi and catching them off gaurd with lightsabers held in his feet.

BTW. 4 Sabers = Lame.

12. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    ^You're still assuming a the cartoon is a higher level of canon than it actually is. To stick with my "Battle of the Bulge" example, this is like saying exaggeration is not sufficient to explain the difference in numbers of trees and hedgerows so the factual information on the real battle is wrong. Think of the movies as documentaries and the cartoon as holo-dramas. I think one of the mods made this connection months ago and I'm borrowing the idea from them.

RotS Grevious is the real Grevious, and the cartoon Grevious is Grevious played by Gary Oldman in the movie version (assuming ROTS documented real events). Finally, when exactly did GG appear as a cowardly motormouth in ROTS? He seemed like a great tactician to me. He caught Obi-Wan and Anakin on the Invisible Hand and left them to die on a hopelessly damaged warship about to crash into a planet. Anakin's extraordinary skills saved them both. Then GG nearly bested Obi-Wan, only to be beaten because he underestimated Obi-Wan's skills with the force.

13. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I liked CW Grievous better though it's exaggerated i think he came across more menacing than ROTS Grievous plus the cough that he had really started to get on my nerves. I don't know if that was a spoiler but just in case i thought i better highlight it.

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    True..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.