main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Greivous' weakness

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ARCstudent, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARCstudent

ARCstudent Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2004
    His body is made of metal and he is not a Force user. Why don't Jedi just crush his exoskeleton IE the non-organic parts?

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Did you see chapter 25 of the Clone Wars and CN? Mace does just that as GG escapes. Most other times, though, I would say it is too hard to work a force crush into combat as you're parrying 4 lightsabers at once.

3. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    The thing is though, the Jedi in Ch. 25 have PLENTY of chances to do what Mace did. There are numerous face-offs, including the one where Shaak Ti ties Greivous' cape to the train. Instead of that stunt, why not crush him right there?

I know we're all supposed to take this with a grain of salt, but it's a bit bothersome to see what Greivous is able to get away with.

Not only that, but what the heck is with his body guards? At several points in Ch. 25, it seemed like they were going head to head with Jedi Masters and holding their own. Does it bother anyone else that the legendary Jedi Masters who we've all come to expect great things from are having such a hard time from these droids? Who needs a clone army if you can have droids like those?

I absolutely LOVED Clone Wars...but the way Greivous and his body guards are portrayed, forget Darth Vader and the Emperor...there's no need for em!

4. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    This thread on the OS may be of interest to you. I posed this question awhile ago both here and on TOS and for whatever reason the thread on 3SA was deleted, but there is still a lot of good discussion on the thread I linked to.

!snap

5. slackerj

slackerj Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    I don't see why this concept is so hard to grasp.

Greivous was personnally trained by Dooku(One of the most powerfull jedi ever) for the sole purpose of hunting jedi. It's simply the separatists' answer to Jedi. And since their whole army is droids it make sense for the leaders to be droids to, well at least mostly droid.

To quote Obi-wan in Ep.2 "If droids could think, their would be none of us." good foreshadowing

6. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Also his bodyguarsds by the train ecah one took on a jedi. But with the golding them off and not taking the shuttle with whatever her nbame is she took on and killed like 20 before they backed off.

7. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    Greivous was personnally trained by Dooku(One of the most powerfull jedi ever) for the sole purpose of hunting jedi.

You're missing the point. Grievous is not a Forcer, which is a clear disadvantage when fighting Jedi. We're discussing how he is able to hold his own without use of the Force.

!snap

8. Saju

Saju Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2002
    How can he hold his own?

Because he's just.
    That.
    Awesome.

^^;

9. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    Or because GL doesn't understand that things like that need to be explained.

I try to stay away from the GL bashing, and I can ignore the small stuff, but when he introduces a big bad villain, that makes his reputation on killing the very warriors that SW fans have come to revere, we need to know WHO THE HECK HE DOES THAT.

I've stayed primarily spoiler free so maybe a lot of this is explained in EIII, but I somehow doubt it. It's like GL thinks we're all little children that he can just say "it's that way b/c I say it is." C'mon...

10. Tengumaster89

Tengumaster89 Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    The IG-100 magnaguard odyguard droids have a electrostaff made out of a lightsaber withstandable metal. Just thought id throw that out there

11. ARCstudent

Apr 12, 2004
    >>GL explain how he does this

In the novel they explain GG's circuitry as a mesh of an alien and mechanics. So essentially we have a borg. In the RoTS illustrated guide they show a brain with a chip inside. So apparently its an alien enhanced with a CPU that adapts to fighting styles. Apparently GG's speed is slightly below a Jedi's, but he has 4 arms and he cheats, uses fear, etc.

So it does not take into account creativity, which is bad. Just because you have a fighting style does not mean you stick to it. If you truly have mastered a style you should be able to add and create new moves.

One thing that bothers me is why didn't they use the Magnaguard staff material, which is lightsaber resistant, for GG knowing that he would be fighting jedi.

12. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    IIRC in the clone Wars cartoon doesn't he get hid by a saber and it sizzles off of him a la Vader in ESB?

!snap

13. ARCstudent

Apr 12, 2004
    Vader got cut. And GG is not saber-proof. I think he is blaster proof, which kind of makes the scenes where he avoids blaster fire a little strange. Then again he might not be AT-AT gun proof or chain gun proof.

14. Valacar

Valacar Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2004
    Like others I don't understand why Jedi masters don't just crush his body with the force. However I also noticed that they tried in chapter 24 but he dodged them.

As for his guards, You'll notice they're only good against 1 jedi with 1 single lightsabre. Which means they have minimal programing. As soon as another jedi jumps into combat or they pick up another weapon, they don't stand much of a chance.

15. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    Dooku explains how Grievous can hold his own against the Jedi in one of the Clone Wars episodes. Remember, he teaches him to use fear, aggression and intimidation as a his weapon against the Jedi. He even tells him if any one of those things are lacking then he would be no match for the most skilled Jedi. The Jedi had never come across anything like Grievous before. Some of the Jedi were clearly intimidated by him and Grievous used this to his advantage to overwhelm them.

16. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Ki Adi Mundi was able to fight him, and actually knock away a lightsaber, before the clones stepped in. It makes you wonder why with the help of 4 other jedi they couldnt have finished him off

17. DarthKakarot

DarthKakarot Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 9, 2005
    Grievous is made out like he is 'super human' in the clone wars

18. Ok_If_You_Insist

Ok_If_You_Insist Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    General Grievous is not at all a droid. Before becoming the contraption he is, he was the general of the Confederacy of Independant Systems(CIS) army. He flew in on the battle of Geonosis, was shot down and was near death. The Inter-Galactic Banking Clan of the separatist world of Muunilist was called upon by Count Jard Dooku to deal with the matter. San Hill, the Muun representative of Muunilist on the council of the separatists, paid for the construction for Greivous' new body. With only his major organs, spinal cord and eyes intact he became mostly cyborg not driod, totally different.

And another main concept of General Grievous is that his suit is not made of metal. It is made of the bone of a rare creature called a Mummu. The Mummu bone is tough and if you look closely at a Grievous picture you can see the texture.

19. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Jard Dooku? Mummu Bone? I can't recall hearing or reading anything of the kind before. Sounds rather SuperShadowish to me, where'd you get that info from?

20. DarthOctavius

DarthOctavius Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2005
    If you seen the Clonewars series you would remeber when Dooku was training Grevious that his greatest assest is installing fear in the hearts of the Jedi,once Jedi start to panick they loose there concentration and start to slip.Once Grevious looses that advantage to a more level headed and masterful jedi like Windu,all is lost and he better run for his life.

21. Ok_If_You_Insist

Ok_If_You_Insist Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    If you didn't know his name was Count Jard Dooku, your a newb. That is everywhere, just google it. And as for the Mumuu(This is the correct spelling) bone on Grievous is in the ROTS Visual Dictionary.

22. kainangmar

kainangmar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    Grievous wasn't shot down at Geonosis. He was already a borg by then, dfending Poggle and Gunray as they escaped.

23. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    thats an interesting backstory.

24. Tengumaster89

Tengumaster89 Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    When a Jedi uses the force, he concentrates greatly. Even if it does not appear that way. The reason Obi-Wan and Anakin can cut through and push away dozens of battle droids is their uncanny ability to concentrate in battle, a trait of the jedi, However combatting a figure such as general grievous is a task no Jedi can concentrate greatly during. He is oo worthy of a nemesis to be able to clear your mind while dueling.

25. kainangmar

kainangmar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    I'm not a newb, but i certainly didn't know Dooku's name was Jard. What do you mean by "Everywhere"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.