main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Grievous was an idiot here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Aug 13, 2013.

1. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Agreed, but I thought he was pretty awesome in the microseries at least.

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I don't think he's a coward getting into fights, but he runs when he think's he's going to lose.

ILNP and Darth Dnej like this.
  3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The true Grievous is obviously the pre-ROTS Grievous. ;)

4. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    FALL BACK EVERYONE! BEHIND THE CORNER! We'll handle this (even though we ran away last time XD)

But seriously if they had droidekas to counter the Naboo security and Padme and the two Jedi, then with two Jedi off fighting Maul, the security crew would have an even less chance of surviving. They would have used the droidekas regardless of Jedi being there.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Likely. My intent was just to challenge the "unstoppable" misnomer- at least at that point in time.

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    One-for-one.

Whoa, GG, you're on fire! Like, literally! :p
    [​IMG]

But on a more serious note, I think Grievous is mostly bluster anyhow. But he does have reason for his confidence, considering he's slain numerous Jedi during the Clone Wars (as we're told, but unfortunately not shown, in the films, but instead in the EU). If we take TCW into account, the fight against Kenobi in particular is more personal, considering how many times he had failed to kill the Jedi Master before. And to his credit, I must say it takes big (robot) b**** to stand up to multiple Jedi, sometimes with little to no backup, in a lightsaber fight, so the fact that he's often called a coward in the films is really a bit of a misnomer. Virtually all of his retreats have been purely tactical. Even Dooku (in the micro-series) mentioned that Grievous should use the element of surprise to take on his foes, or it would be best not to engage, or retreat strategically. Considering how "busy" RotS was with its various plotlines, there just wasn't enough time to develop Grievous as a character, which is why I can understand the sentiment that Grievous was a "missed opportunity" in the film, unfair or not.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    At the time his portrayal in ROTS made slight sense in regards to the canon of the micro series. His chest was crushed just moments before in the opening of ROTS so he had to be careful as he was weaker, then TCW use the same version which means to me Lucas intended him as a cowardly leader all along. It's disappointing as I adored Grievous in the mico-series, comics, and the awesome cameos in Republic Commando made me so excited to see the character on the big screen.

Darth Dnej and The Hellhammer like this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I thik the Maul situation had more reasoning. The Jedi wanted to capture him and find out about the mystery of the Sith, AND had they jusy confronted him there he could have killed several of the Naboo before dying. He wasn't in a hopelessly surrounded situation like Obi-Wan was.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    It's a little weird because Grievous does not immediately challenge Obi-Wan on Utapau. He first sends the magna-guards with the saber-staffs. It's only after Obi-Won kills the magna-guards that Grievous decides to fight him by himself. Maybe Grievous was pals with those magna-guards, and Obi knew that killing them would set Grievous off.

Also, I don't think Grievous was a missed opportunity in ROTS. Grievous was made ridiculously over-powered in that 2004 Clone Wars hand-drawn cartoon. Why would you need Anakin or Dooku as your apprentice when you have that guy on your side? I think a Grievous that powerful would have distracted from the importance of the really powerful guys duking it out--Mace, Palpatine, Yoda, Obi-Won, and Anakin. Grievous was more important just because he was a leader of the Separatists and part of Palpatine's plan.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Two things- first, awesome icon. Second, Grievous was a novelty at the time of Hypori- the Jedi did not know of him before that time, even though he technically existed. Yes, he was slightly overpowered in that instance, everything in that microseries was exaggerated (see Yoda lifting hundreds of droidekas with the wave of a finger) but much of that power he had came from the element of surprise. Aside from that series, he also wrecked four Jedi and a crew of red guard (with some help from magnaguards) that Shaak Ti and Stass Allie assigned to Palpatine's detail in Labryinth of Evil, so his power didn't just dry up. I think it speaks more to Obi-Wan's ability that Grievous fares so poorly against him in the film, and essentially stalemates him at every turn in TCW.

11. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks, about my icon. (I think that was directed at me; if not, I'll pretend it was:) ) And with your icon, I can't figure out who has the creepier eyes the owl or Conan!

heels1785 likes this.
  12. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    As much as I love TCW, and it is Canon I think at times Grievous was a missed opportunity there, not in ROTS though. As Darth Ladnar said, Grievous is the leader of the Separatists and part of Sideous plan, George did what had to be done. In TCW however while he would run off a lot he still could have killed more Jedi. All is said and done though, so nothing we can do about it…….. Except a Grievous Spinoff!

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Like I said,, as proven in E3, even the most skilled swordsmen cannot deflect an endless barrage of blaster fire coming in from all directions. It was a plot convenience but simple fact is the smart thing to do would for QuiGon to guard the queen and all others to open fire.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  14. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Grievous was an idiot left, right, and center.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    You underestimate the dark side, the speed and power of Darth Maul 's force push and the fear those pilots felt upon seeing him. Before Qui Gon finished issuing the command, half of them would have been sprawled halfways across the hangar and the Zabrak would have skipped the theatrics to cut right into those who remained... all while the Jedi stood back to protect the Queen. None of the common men would have survived and with the Queen in the middle of a lightsaber fight, the odds shift dramatically in Maul's favor. Qui Gon followed the living force and trusted his insticts, splitting them in two groups saved many lives.

16. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Puh-leeze. He was a Sith Apprentice, not a god. As Episodes 2 & 3 demonstrated, even Masters can not survive a barrage coming in from all directions.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Episode II proved that some masters can indeed survive a barrage coming in from all directions. And Knights and Padawans too.

[​IMG]

Order 66 was successful due to the nature of surprise, and doesn't really fit into the narrative of rebutting Sx3's point- Maul was prepared and ready to fight.

18. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    And it proved that even more die. They were finished. If Dooku hadn't made the battledroids cease fire to gloat at Windu, it would have been over.
    Very much so. The element of surprise is prevalent in countless engagements throughout the whole saga. In every instance it tips the scale to the aggressors favor.

Qui-Gon always acted first and reflected later. He had a score to settle with a dangerous enemy that got the jump on him on Tatooine- literally! This is the kind of behavior that Yoda would consider reckless. Kenobi adopts his master's pragmatism years later with comments like "spring the trap!" "Sith Lords are our speciality". The younger Padawan Kenobi would have never uttered things like these Qui-Gon'isms.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The way I'm reading this, you're assuming that, even though they survived for as long as they did, they definitively would not do so for another 30 seconds until the gunships arrived. Do you have proof of this?

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This is what I was thinking. Whether Dooku gloated or not, the gunships would've arrived in a minute or less. Why the droids paused even after Dooku ordered them to finish the Jedi but before the gunships landed, I'll never know...it was like a second of menacing silence before Padme said "Look!" But still, even if a few more Jedi had died, the gunships still would've arrived in time to save most of them.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    One could say that yes, from the look on Kenobi's face, he knew they were outmatched. But I think it's a leap to make the claim that they surely would have been dead within the next 30 seconds as the SBDs closed in.

22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go to :30 mark.

Darth Malgus killed seven soldiers before they even had a chance to react and they were all standing there with weapons at the ready. None of them survived. Looking more closely at Theed where Maul was facing pilots & security guards, not soldiers... it would have ended just the same, if not faster.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    If the gunships hadn't come down, yeah, they would've died. But at least a few of them–Mace, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Plo Koon, probably Ki-Adi-Mundi, Kit Fisto, and Aayla Secura–would've survived the extra 30 seconds-1 minute required for the gunship to arrive. Whether Padme would've survived with only five Jedi to duck behind is up for grabs, though.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In addition to the element of surprise, the clonetroopers were hardened veterans. Look at the Naboo security guards' reaction when the doors opened. They were ready to wet themselves at the mere sight of Maul.

Vialco and SithStarSlayer like this.
  25. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    What movie are those scenes from? Did they release Episode 0 and I missed it?

Darth Maul is a Sith Apprentice who was eventually killed by a Padawan. He was not a god. Even Masters can be felled by an unstoppable barrage of blaster bolts coming in from all sides. The fact that someone has to reference a video game to try and prove their point really only hurts their own contention. Last I checked, we were discussing movies in here, not video games.