'Groovy Funky Channel 27' - The Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread. - New Episode??

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by oh_that_Rimmer, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd like to see that.
    Too many british science-fiction show end with series cliffhangers and aren't picked up afterward:
    Blake's 7, the original Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio program, Red Dwarf, UltraViolet, ...

It would be good to see what happens next.
    And hopefully Craig Charles can keep himself out of trouble for the duration of filming.
  2. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    New Red Dwarf after how many years? I'd always hoped for a Comic Relief special or something similar, but a 1 hour show?!

This is either going to be really bad, or really good!
  3. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow, it's been nearly 10 years. OK, more like 8.
    People weren't sure when it came back finally for series 8, but I think that worked out pretty well. There was a long break between 5&6, 6&7, and 7&8. Doesn't seem to have hurt the series too much.
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    There's some discussion and more speculation on the show format here in the UK Fan Force forum. It sounds like the show might be either a reunion show or a combination of old and new material.
  5. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Very interesting! I'm looking forward to this. :D
  6. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    So BACK TO EARTH has aired in the UK, what are people's thoughts on this last hurrah?!
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Well, the airing took place over Easter weekend, with part 1 Friday night, part 2 Saturday night, and part 3 Sunday night. All 3 parts were repeated for Monday night. In addition, The Smeg-Ups and a 'Making of' program were aired. The UK thread linked to by me above has quite a few reaction posts. My feeling? It was enjoyable for the most part. It wasn't the worst Red Dwarf but it doesn't rank with the best.
  8. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's pretty much my opinion too. I think part 1 had the best gags though, with the testicle/tenticle mixup and the "bit crap" comment - confirmed, sir!
  9. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I didn't care for the Russian lady character though - I just found her annoying.
  10. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I didn't really listen to anything she said, I was too busy staring at her legs.
  11. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow...
    Just... Wow...
    How completely wrong was that special?
    Did they get anything right?

Made Series 4 look good.

I didn't--couldn't--even crack a smile during the entire thing.
    What were they thinking?

None of it made any sense within the universe already established (even taking into account the massive loop-holes in that universe).

and the cast... Robert Llewelyn is in heavy make-up, but aside from that, only Danny John-Jules is still in any kind of physical shape where aging hasn't taken an obvious toll on the actors.

Spoiler section

All in all, I have to give the Easter Special an F- rating. It was a waste of my time to even think about watching it.
  12. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    Koohii I think you are being a little harsh, maybe?

Yes I was hoping for a lot more laugh-out-loud moments, but I don't care because it was Red Dwarf and it was clever.
  13. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    no, "harsh" would be pointing out that I'm an idiot who can't even type in a highlight code correctly. ;)

I honestly would rather have had nothing than that Easter Special. It was like a lot of "specials" (usually christmas ones) where they find the cast of an old sitcom and get them together for a special reunion 10-20 years later, make a big deal of it, and it turns into utter garbage. "To the Manor Born" is another perfect example. There is either no growth, or no transition to cover the years that have gone by.
    When there was a several-year gap between the cliffhanger at the end of series 6, and the beginning of 7, the first thing they did was explain the resolution of the cliffhanger. Series 8 did something similar, even though they mucked about with chronology a bit.
    The special just ignores the events at the end of series 8, retcons several key details, and alters the nature of the show entirely just because... Actually I can't think of a reason for many of the decisions other than "It's classic and we don't want to deal with it now".
  14. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I agree that Back to Earth was complete and utter crap. I was soooo looking forward to this and haven't been this disappointed in a television program since...well ever.

The only explanation I can offer for some of Koohii's questions is that this special apparently takes place after "Series 10". Series 9 and 10 of course, were never made but apparently they thought it was a brilliant idea to pretend they did and reference them. During that time the ressurected crew all died, Rimmer died, Ace Rimmer came back and rejoined the crew as the real Rimmer again, Kochanski left, etc.

I used to love Red Dwarf but this was just awful.
  15. Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought the BtE was more or less enjoyable, certainly better than what I'd been expecting. Part Three let things down a little, with some of the jokes obvious and/or forced.

I didn't have too much problem with the failure to provide a resolution on the cliffhanger at the end of series 8 -- the story already seemed rushed without having to wedge in a possibly-convoluted explanation for a ten year old cliffhanger. And Red Dwarf has a long history of failures to fully explain cliffhangers and inconsistencies -- there's the cliffhanger at the end of series three, which was only explained via a scroll text on epsiode one of series four that would have been difficult to read in the period before DVDs. And as for inconsistencies, there's a whole raft to choose from: Lister's two appendixes, the size of the crew complement on the original Red Dwarf, Lister and Kochanski's relationship, Kochanski herself -- none of which were really ever explained in-universe. I got the impression that Doug Naylor was embracing RD's unstable relationship with continuity deliberately in inventing entire series like he did.
  16. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually, it was the series 2 cliffhanger that was explained in the openning scroll of series 3, and we could read it just fine (even back in the 80s) with an invention called the VCR. ;)
    Yes, the series has many, many, many.... ...many inconsistencies. On the other hand, every time they have explained the cliffhangers in some way or other.
    Kryten's Top 10 questions asked about Red Dwarf explores and explains many of the inconsistancies in the A to Z(ed) of Red Dwarf (bonus disc of series 1).

As for BtE, it really failed to capture what made RD interesting and funny. When I saw the "special" that pointed out that the car parking section was done on "idiot cards", I wasn't surprized--the whole scene felt forced and un-funny.
  17. Espaldapalabras Force Ghost

star 5
    I actually liked BtE. I thought it a great breaking of the fourth wall. Of course it isn't going to be exactly like it used to, but it was good. Not the best show ever, but a lot better than I expected.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.