main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Group Online Orders

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Since a few of us have been buying stuff online for a while now, and since I just got rudely surprised by one online operator's extravagant shipping costs, I thought it might be worth starting a thread where if a bunch of us wanted to place an order with such an operator, we could pool our resources and save on shipping.

Right now, myself, BBN and the duchess want to buy the Red vs. Blue boxset off the Rooster Teeth website. Given the shipping is 20 bucks more than the actual boxset, we'll order our sets (and anything else we want off the site) together.

If anyone else wants in, post here and we'll start coordinating the order and payment.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

2. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Does anybody want to do the same with a Valve store order? Their shipping is way expensive, but if we all went in, it shouldn't be too bad.

And they just got all of the plushies back in stock.

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, if the cube is back again, sign me up for a group valve order.

If we're doing the red vs blue order, I really should check out their selection of shirts again... I wanted one of them, I can't remember which.

4. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Well I figured we'd want to do a group Valve order at some point as well. If that time is now, that's good, and suspiciously convenient... However "Raising the Bar" is still out of stock.

I predict Telltale and Amazon orders at some future point as well.

As for shirts from Rooster Teeth, I want to get the Pie shirt (since pie has been a frequent topic of conversation recently) and the freelancer shirt, as that's what I put on my census forms as my occupation anyway :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

5. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I'll probably skip the shirts and just get the DVD box, but yeah, count me in on this.

Amazon have copies of Raising The Bar, but it's $165 not including shipping (!!!!!!!!!).

Guess I'll have to go without, so when we do the Valve order, I'll just go a Cube and a t-shirt. Let me know when it's on.

6. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Please count me in for the Red vs Blue set.

This thread is an excellent idea. Strong though the Australian dollar might be, those shipping costs (usually generated by way of blindfold and dartboard) go a long way in undoing the advantage. Not that I can see an overwhelming show of support for a bulk Captain Planet store order.

Keep up the Amazon shopping and you'll soon learn to see those exorbitant non-bolded prices (from third-party sellers, and not available to Australians anyway) as you would a banner ad: i.e. not at all.

7. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    It might actually be worth checking with either Borders or Pulp Fiction in town about Raising the Bar. I'll look into it next week.

I know a couple of girls who might be interested in shopping at the Captain Planet Store HB. I'll get back to you :p

I'll wait 'til Sunday night for everyone to put their order in for Rooster Teeth merchandise, see how much it costs including shipping, divide the costs up and PM everyone with that number plus my account details so you can transfer the funds to me. I'll place the order once I see that the transfers have appeared in my account.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

8. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    My main Online Shop is currently JINX, and their international delivery costs are pretty good. I'll keep an eye out to see if anything catches my eye from anything posted in this thread.

9. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Alrighty, my official-like order thing is:

10. The RvB DVD set thingy;

11. The 'Girl "Kiss the Boys" (Orange) Shirt' in a small.

12. If there is a valve order, my only must-have is the cube (considering I've already gotten everything else via my rampant consumerism...).

Although... If it wasn't actually slightly illegal to dangle things from your mirror (and if my mirror in my car wasn't so easily movable) I'd very much consider the dangly cube thingies. [face_thinking]

13. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    In an ideal world, this thread will become one of the Eternal Mainstays. Let's make this an ideal world, starting with some reference material.

Amazon.com

Shipping charges: A base fee of US$5 per shipment, plus a "per item" fee: US$3 for DVDs and CDs, US$5 for practically anything else.

(For practical reasons, I'm ignoring charges for grocery, electronics and home items. The former two are mostly US only, and I can't see anyone using this thread to arrange a new set of curtains.)

Advantage of group orders: Money-wise, minimal at best. (Most of the postage fee in a bulk order comes from "per item" charges.) BUT!

This can pay off in terms of delivery speed. Expedited Shipping will get your product delivered in less than half the time. It costs more, of course, but a shared order will whittle that fee down to the standard level, perhaps below.

It won't always be practical (considering the extra delay of each person physically getting hold of the product), but food for thought all the same. I can see this coming in handy if lots of us want to get hold of the same product ASAP. Say, the next Futurama movie.

Full details

14. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Live as though the world is what it should be, to show it what it can be :p

The extra delay into people's hands isn't too much of an issue; since I'm not working and I have a car, I can get stuff to people easily for the time being (like, until Beast With A Billion Backs comes out).

I wouldn't mind getting my stuff quicker, as usually I go with the slower shipping charges to save money, so for the next Amazon sale (and Hell, the reason my DVD shelf is so robust is because of the last couple of them) it'd definitely be worth looking into.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

15. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Another strong contender: Play-Asia.

This import games site is particularly useful for PC and DS titles, where region coding isn't an issue. The pricing is very reasonable - generally cheaper than the local alternatives - and who can argue with getting each new Ace Attorney game six months early?

I'll let you all know next time there's an order on the cards. I'm already looking into the pros and cons of importing Super Smash Bros Brawl with a Wii Freeloader. (The main disadvantage: uncertainty over the Freeloader's compatability with future Wii firmware updates.)

16. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    I've also got a Play-Asia order in the works; so whenever you want to order stuff HB, let me know and we'll sort the details.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

17. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    The Rooster Teeth order has been placed.

I hope come the Glorious Revolution the United States Postal Service is torn down and replaced with something that has reasonable international shipping rates! :p

I will let you know when the shinys arrive.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

18. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    A triple post? Ye Gods!

Anyway, HB and I are looking at placing an order with Play-Asia. Anyone else want in?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

19. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    It looks like Play-asia have taken off all of their homebrew hardware for DSes. That was the only thing I was going to get off of it :( .

20. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    A damn shame, if understandable, from Play Asia's perspective.

If you ever find another reputable website selling DS Micro SD card readers, please let us know here. I for one would love to try the Scumm emulator. You know, for all those times you're stuck on a bus and think "I need to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Not in twenty minutes. Right now."

21. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    You know, for all those times you're stuck on a bus and think "I need to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Not in twenty minutes. Right now."

You have no idea how often that thought has struck me! :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

22. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    Some people I know recommended This site for DS homebrew stuff. Anybody interested?

Edit - and just incase anybody is interested in some t-shirts, I've just bought a 4 from Enclothe. Fantastic prices, shipping and customer service.

23. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Let's band together and buy this.

24. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Considering the last one that went on sale has an asking price of US$150,000.00, that's a freaking bargain.

I don't need two kidneys...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.