main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Group size?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Aragorn327, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I was wondering how large your groups tend to be.

Tried a session with 8 of us on Friday night...started off well enough, but things ended up going downhill as some people got distracted by my computer and various other things.

How do you manage larger groups well? We're splitting the group in two, but we'd like to combine them off and on for various larger adventures.

2. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Yeah, I split groups and run occasional crossovers. I'm not confortable with more than 4 players at my table.

3. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    Get their attention.

I.e., "Luke! A Greater Krayt Dragon stands before you! What do you do?"

4. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Ideal size is GM + 3-5 players.
    Simplest thing to do is turn off the distractions: no TV, Computer, or anything else (except maybe BGM).

But that's just my way of doing things.

5. Jedi_Rhysode

Jedi_Rhysode Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2004
    Destractions are a big problem for my group. Mostly cuz I live in my parents home (im only 18) and they find the need to assert their dominance in the house from time to time by turning on the TV loud, or walking into the dining room and intereputing our game to talk to the guys (usually to say something like "this isn't even real! how can you waste so much time over nothing?"

6. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Get a "core" gaming group of people who really want to play. Two or three. Play with them, they will tell the others how much fun they had and get them in line when you play.

7. Gokuku

Gokuku Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2003
    Distractions are really bad when our groups play too! One time we played with 6 of us and it took an hour to get started because eveyone wanted to watch T.V. the whole time and it really made me mad so I unplugged the T.V. and put it in another room and we finally started to game and it went great!

8. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    "this isn't even real! how can you waste so much time over nothing?"

Heh, ask your parents to explain their jobs, and then follow it up with the same reply.

"I'm a dental Hygenist. I clean plaque and bacteria off of teeth."
    "But that stuff is so small. Bacteria are microscopic. How can you waste so much of your time on that sort of stuff?"

"I'm a corporate Lawyer, working on patents"
    "So you're abusing your knowledge of the law to try to squeeze some extra money into your company's portfolio, and billing by the hour while you play minesweeper on your computer. How boring is that. It's not like you're actually inventing anything useful."

With a little thought, you can turn the incident into a complete rout (or cause your family to disown you).
    Good Luck!

9. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    The group I'm in has 6, including the GM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.